Anyone older in age eventually go from their beloved speakers to headphones instead? Please share!

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I understand and can see why some older folks appreciate speakers and ONLY speakers since they are the creme of the crop when it comes from the tier rankings of speakers > headphones > in ear monitors.

Has anyone in this group slowly or suddenly change to headphones only? What made you decide to change? Why or why not?

Would be interesting to hear from some older folks.

I myself do not like messing around with speakers due to room sensitivities and headphones for me take out that variable altogether, I also feel the headphone sound despite not being as good as speakers, brings me satisfactory results trading off the variable of not needing to worry about the room.

Thanks for sharing in advance!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
how old is old enough lol . i have both have had both all of my life . both are great and non speakers are as good and better in some ways .
the lenth we have to go through on speakers is a never ending journey . and to be apsoulte what you have labored over is correct is yet even more mountains to climb . i made a post here on someone asking whats better IEMS or hradphones , they both are great . And while speakers get us closer to real none realy do . as i have all 3 types non speakers are great . have you tried using a sub woofer with your headphones ? while most all headphones have very good low end detail non can give us the acoustic energy aimed at us like speakers . can you share what headphones you use or like and why ?
i love planers and i also prefer them on headphones as well . but i own a few type phones as each has its virtues . please share

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A true sirens song is irresistible
The best you can hope for is to avoid the rocks.

Reactions: Alrainbow

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I am 52 and spend more time listening to headphones over the pandemic. It is nice not to consider any room related issues.
My speaker set up is better. For quiet nights with my family asleep I use headphones.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am old and have abandoned speakers for many reasons. Primarily because it is just so simple. Music service, smartphone, dac/amp, headphones. voila.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just another controversy, but I have never found headphones of any quality to 'compete' with a good speaker setup in a nice room for listening to music. That isn't to say headphones aren't great for what they are, just a different medium. I listen to headphones a lot in Santa Cruz (limited ability to play loud) and with computers and for gaming.

For whatever reason, I speculate there may be a brain processor that can tell if the moving air mass is 'small' or 'large' and ascribe reflexes and instincts accordingly. We would react differently to each, generally being more impressed with a larger moving air mass.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am leaning that way...I think.

Recently I have been struggling with just sitting and listening when there are things to be done or to do. I have about 4-6 hours on the weekends that in one way or another I am maintaining our 1.5 acres and have really enjoyed putting on my Sony noise canceling head phones and discovering new music while I do so. When I get inside and relax I go through all I liked and listen deeper, but I cant do day sessions any more, too much to do. This last weekend I got so into my jam I made it all the way to the gas station to fill up the mower cans and realized I had my headphones still on while driving.
I really enjoy the noise canceling to drown out three blades spinning under me and the engine driving them and listening to new music at the same time.
I also believe I have quit worrying about nodes/modes/peaks/valleys/ bright /lifeless/lifting veils and any other words you can come up with and just listening to the music.

I find myself enjoying music, tapping my toes more with my head phones on rather than worrying about how my room sounds or what is missing and that same familiar sound goes with me where ever I go.

My head phone time far out weighs my speaker time due to my inability to sit still and not be doing something.

P.S.A. What ever you do get noise canceling headphones for what ever you do around the house that is loud, mowing, banging. cutting. anything power tools, event if no music is being played. Your ears will thank you when you go sit down to critical listening.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
CONGRATS on your headphones. the next step is you need for a lightweight mobile dac. The secret is to not try and create the "speaker experience."

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
CONGRATS on your headphones. the next step is you need for a lightweight mobile dac. The secret is to not try and create the "speaker experience."
No intention on creating a speaker experience but I do see a dedicated rig in my future. Will attend a few can jams and once I make a choice I will be done and just enjoy the music. Creating a speaker experience just means sitting there and worrying about what I might be missing and so on and that no longer interests me.
I have had these phones a few years now (have been on the Sony thread) but do want something better for dedicated time.
What dac did you finalize on or are you still with the IFi i think it was.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own 4 sets of ear bud type noise canceling models and non ciem s ones as well.
sony for one makes great sound n can cancel and to my ears not change the sound if I turn off the feature.
i like any player or headphone app that allows for EQ/ and other sound tailoring features.
i may suggest users buy alt tips then what comes stock.
foamies and other brands can be better
I like fomies better then tips. Whike they do effect the tone it’s fixed with eq
they make a better seals and this allows a better iso closer to ciem s designs.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I suggest the iFi Audio Go blue at 200 USD. It is the size of a match box. It goes well with my SONY WH1000XM4.
Fortunately there is a wealth of portable/mobile dac/amps. Some like the Diablo that can double as your main system.

I have seen some noise canceling i.e.m.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I wonder why no one has created a suit that lays on you and injects vibrations. Gives the tactile headphones lack. I guess you could sit in a swarm of subs. But that would be very annoying to others.

I also wonder why no one has taken that egg type chair with all the speakers and not built upon that for a fully sealed enclosure. Climb into the listening pod.
Then you could really feel it. Might as well throw some video in on that system.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I wonder why no one has created a suit that lays on you and injects vibrations. Gives the tactile headphones lack. I guess you could sit in a swarm of subs. But that would be very annoying to others.
For me, the problems with headphones have nothing to do with tactility. The problems are the distortion of spatial imaging and the annoyance of having an appliance on my head (or in in my ears). The Smyth Realiser deals with the first of these but I know of no solution for the latter.

Reactions: ACHiPo

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

I also wonder why no one has taken that egg type chair with all the speakers and not built upon that for a fully sealed enclosure. Climb into the listening pod.
Then you could really feel it. Might as well throw some video in on that system.
Do remember the bone phones

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
For me, the problems with headphones have nothing to do with tactility. The problems are the distortion of spatial imaging and the annoyance of having an appliance on my head (or in in my ears). The Smyth Realiser deals with the first of these but I know of no solution for the latter.
Looked into the Realiser briefly. Looks like further investigation is necessary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing