Any experience with Townshend Allegri reference or Thrax Dionysos preamps

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have seen good reviews on Townshend Allegri reference preamps on UK sites, and they describe townshend to be very close or better than some of the best known pre-amps. Any experience among the users of this passive preamp ?. They look simple and am very intrigued. Are they as good as the reviewers claim it to be ?
Other one is the Thrax Dionysos, from Bulgaria, which was reviewed in Mono and stereo in 2014: The reviewer thought this was among the best at that time.
Would like to get experience from real world users. How do they sound in comparison to others, what was their best and not so good (if at all). Any issues with compatibility with amps (especially the townshend) ?

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
In case of interest, I have noticed that Martin Colloms from HiFi Critic has used the Allegri+, and now the Allegri Reference, as his ref preamp for many years. He has used both with various power amps over the years and has never reported any compatibility issues. Martin is very helpful and you can post a question to him on the HiFi Critic forum.

Reactions: RaChiK

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
In case of interest, I have noticed that Martin Colloms from HiFi Critic has used the Allegri+, and now the Allegri Reference, as his ref preamp for many years. He has used both with various power amps over the years and has never reported any compatibility issues. Martin is very helpful and you can post a question to him on the HiFi Critic forum.

Magico also have the Townshend Pre.

BruceD

Reactions: ashandger

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I will contact him soon. Anybody listened to either of them ?

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I contacted the townshend a while back and as per them, there should be no issue with compatibility with Allegri reference. Would like to know if anybody got a chance to use them or heard them.
Looks like not many here with experience with Thrax Dionysos.
How about Allnic L-9000 or L-10000. Anyone heard them. All the posts on Agon and on this forum is from same person. Would like to know from people who have owned.
Also, will be good if they have compared to the likes of AR ref 6 SE or Luxman C900U or Ayre KXR-20.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
May or may not help I have a Allegri reference and have used it in several set ups of varying quality, from Cyrus mono blocks to PMC actives, it currently is working with a Thoress F2A11 set amp and I would have to say on all of those as limited as the experience is, it is a neutral pre, very transparent as revealing as the source and has shown itself capable on differing amps. At the moment it is a useful volume remote as the F2A11 is an integrated, but can work together. Not necessarily aesthetically but the sound is good. Became very interested in passives and the idea of the pre being a neutral volume control and it does this well. As for comparing with other pre amps I cant help much with that but am enjoying the music and would use it other set ups.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
May or may not help I have a Allegri reference and have used it in several set ups of varying quality, from Cyrus mono blocks to PMC actives, it currently is working with a Thoress F2A11 set amp and I would have to say on all of those as limited as the experience is, it is a neutral pre, very transparent as revealing as the source and has shown itself capable on differing amps. At the moment it is a useful volume remote as the F2A11 is an integrated, but can work together. Not necessarily aesthetically but the sound is good. Became very interested in passives and the idea of the pre being a neutral volume control and it does this well. As for comparing with other pre amps I cant help much with that but am enjoying the music and would use it other set ups.
Artnet,
That is indeed very helpful. Your experience, pretty much matches what reviewers have said on their websites. It is understandable that they have no "color" or "sound" of their own, given the passive circuit, and by nature are neutral and transparent. If the upstream source is of high quality, the passive pre-amps makes perfect sense. I am very intrigued with this preamp. Also considering the bespoke passive preamp (which is much more expensive).

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
the passive pre-amps makes perfect sense. I am very intrigued with this preamp
RaChick,
The Passive options particularly Townshend and Bespoke made perfect sense to me if changing sources components or upgrading. The synergy in a system build from one maker or brand makes sense but there is obvious limitations in component availability and price. While the fun of changing components for effect is real I just wanted to hear the music. To me a passive pre-amp gave me the option of exploring source and end point without the pre-amp getting in the way. Debatable I know, but no more proof required for me. Wether it stays in my system for good who knows. I would be interested at some stage to look at the bespoke. I was put of by the price but am impressed with the build quality and reviews.
Good luck with the search

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
RaChik
For almost twenty years I had several Spectral preamps like for e.g. the 30SL, 30SS and the 30SV. Last year I listened to the D’Agostino Progression preamplifier, Soulution 520 and Thrax Dionysos V2. Unfortunately the darTZeel NHB-18NS was a no go because there is no distributor in The Netherlands.

Most of the time I listen live and at home to classical music (piano, symphinies, chamber music) and sometimes jazz (Nik Bärtsch, Jarrett, Manu Katche e.g.). After several (almost 30) hours of listening for my ears the Thrax was and is the best. The Dionysos brings live music at home. Transparency and speed are great. The sound is neutral, dynamic, fast. For me much better than the 30SV.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
RaChik
For almost twenty years I had several Spectral preamps like for e.g. the 30SL, 30SS and the 30SV. Last year I listened to the D’Agostino Progression preamplifier, Soulution 520 and Thrax Dionysos V2. Unfortunately the darTZeel NHB-18NS was a no go because there is no distributor in The Netherlands.

Most of the time I listen live and at home to classical music (piano, symphinies, chamber music) and sometimes jazz (Nik Bärtsch, Jarrett, Manu Katche e.g.). After several (almost 30) hours of listening for my ears the Thrax was and is the best. The Dionysos brings live music at home. Transparency and speed are great. The sound is neutral, dynamic, fast. For me much better than the 30SV.
Very good indeed. After I read the review on mono and stereo, I have been very intrigued on this preamp. I might have to jump on this preamp to audition. I have also shortlisted other preamps in my other post, and have CJ GAT 2 and VT TL-7.5 series III on top too. These will be my tops. Still have some love for Townshend Allegri reference.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
Very good indeed. After I read the review on mono and stereo, I have been very intrigued on this preamp. I might have to jump on this preamp to audition. I have also shortlisted other preamps in my other post, and have CJ GAT 2 and VT TL-7.5 series III on top too. These will be my tops. Still have some love for Townshend Allegri reference.
Those three amps are also great but a little bit older. The Dionysos V2 is new and here in The Netherlands not too expensive. Give Thrax a try and you will be amazed.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Those three amps are also great but a little bit older. The Dionysos V2 is new and here in The Netherlands not too expensive. Give Thrax a try and you will be amazed.
I am going to try Thrax Dionysos first and spoke to Oz from Thrax, who is going to send me for audition. Once I get it, hopefully in few weeks, I will post my findings. Apparently, one of the reviewer just finished reviewing the unit and he will be returning the unit back, which will be mailed to me. As per Oz, the reviewer (I am not going to mention the name), was so impressed, that in his 35 years of reviewing audio gears, he has never heard his system so musical as much as he was with Dionysos and associated Maximus and heroes. He stated this "as the best" and if I am not wrong, he bought it.

Reactions: Geert1962

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I pulled the trigger on Thrax Dionysos V2. Will listen to them tomorrow. Expecting a lot from this.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
I pulled the trigger on Thrax Dionysos V2. Will listen to them tomorrow. Expecting a lot from this.
Enjpy your listening sessions tomorrow. You will be surprised. Or in the words of Paul McCartney "Maybe you're amazed the way Dionysos V2 brings live music to you."

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Enjpy your listening sessions tomorrow. You will be surprised. Or in the words of Paul McCartney "Maybe you're amazed the way Dionysos V2 brings live music to you."
They are amazing preamp. Very musical in addition to being dynamic, rare combination. I am enjoying this. Search for preamp is done.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Everyday I listen to them, it makes me happy. One of the best audio gear I purchased. I envy people who have Thrax libra.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
I do not know the gear but i like your way of thinking...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing