Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

• None, have reached analog nirvana!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Arm

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Phono cable

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Phono section

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • New base/stand

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Speed control

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Platter, clamp, motor, plinth, etc.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Set-up Tools

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Well, I voted for wanting a whole lot of stuff. :(

My TT is a VPI HW19mkIII that I love. No, it's more like LOOOVE. I've had other 'tables, but for whatever reason the mkIII really does it for me.

What do I want? I want a SDS and a SAMA. Also wouldn't mind the newer stainless-topped clamp for the tactile experience. I also want a (used) Graham; can't possibly afford a new one.

My (wish) phono stage of choice is an Ayre. I still have the custom balanced cable that George Cardas sent - it's labeled as "made for Bernie Grundman mastering," if anyone has any info - and I'm dying to use it again with another Ayre.

Lastly, and of least importance, I also want an old LP12/RD11 with a low-mass arm to play with.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”

? C.S. Lewis

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, are you saying I should move on from the mkIII? :)

I value your advice and expertise.

I think the HW19 was a great table for the day but doesn't hold up to Harry's latest efforts. :) To me, the biggest improvement has been made in the area of neutrality. With the Al platter on the Classic series (not to mention improvements in arm design and mounting), there's none of that older softening, loss of transparency and upper octave rolloff characteristic of the older VPI designs.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I think the HW19 was a great table for the day but doesn't hold up to Harry's latest efforts. :) To me, the biggest improvement has been made in the area of neutrality. With the Al platter on the Classic series (not to mention improvements in arm design and mounting), there's none of that older softening, loss of transparency and upper octave rolloff characteristic of the older VPI designs.

Thank you for the comments. I've been eying the aluminum platter. Previously, I had a mkIV and auditioned both of the platters available at the time. To my ears, they made the 'table sound a bit slower and less defined (in a macro sense). No question, more transparency and less softened highs would be welcome. Do you think that upgrading to the new platter/bearing, and obviously retuning the suspension, may get me closer to the qualities you described? I'd be hoping for a very noticeable difference, if that makes sense.

[In all honesty, the thing that's holding me back the most is the funding. I have two children close to college age, my wife is unemployed, no one is offering me accommodation pricing these days, so there's only so much I can do. Plus, I'm emotionally attached to the mkIII, but ultimately that doesn't mean that another TT can't share the room]

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Well, my system is a "set" and is set ... so nothing planned.

However, we all, at one point or another, must deal with carts.

My next cartridge purchase was also set, but now since Benz has stalled ... well ...

I have certain system based criteria regarding my next cart, so at this point I only have a few options.

tb1

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The Bauhaus beauty has finally arrived on Friday evening.

A review will follow in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
DSC_1711.jpg

Here is my new analog front end: SME 30/12, SME V-12 arm and an AirTight PC-1 Supreme cartridge all placed on an active Vibraplane with a 130lb steel ballast plate to get the total weight close to the 275lb max design load. The 3" 17-ply/inch baltic birch top shelf supports 400 lbs. This is superb isolation for a neutral, quiet and stable platform for the cartridge. Music has never sounded better in my system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, PeterA. Very nice! Congrat's on the new front end.

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
View attachment 8357

Here is my new analog front end: SME 30/12, SME V-12 arm and an AirTight PC-1 Supreme cartridge all placed on an active Vibraplane with a 130lb steel ballast plate to get the total weight close to the 275lb max design load. The 3" 17-ply/inch baltic birch top shelf supports 400 lbs. This is superb isolation for a neutral, quiet and stable platform for the cartridge. Music has never sounded better in my system.

very very nice. congrats on the new additions!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Mike and Tom. I can add that even though the bigger SME tables have built-in isolation, the addition of the Vibraplane and adding the ballast plate (custom made by Kinetic Systems) to isolate the motor controller from floor-born vibrations really took this already great turntable to a new level. I was recently in Vienna and had the opportunity to tour the State Opera and get a behind the scenes look at this great facility and hear four different operas and rehearsals. Nine of the members of the orchestra have SME turntables. This is one of the great music centers of the world and to hear the live performances and meet musicians who also enjoy listening to LPs at home was the musical treat of a lifetime.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
View attachment 8357

Very nice! An SME 30/12 with SME V-12 arm is on my shortlist for when I eventually replace my Forsell TT and arm.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike and Tom. I can add that even though the bigger SME tables have built-in isolation, the addition of the Vibraplane and adding the ballast plate (custom made by Kinetic Systems) to isolate the motor controller from floor-born vibrations really took this already great turntable to a new level. I was recently in Vienna and had the opportunity to tour the State Opera and get a behind the scenes look at this great facility and hear four different operas and rehearsals. Nine of the members of the orchestra have SME turntables. This is one of the great music centers of the world and to hear the live performances and meet musicians who also enjoy listening to LPs at home was the musical treat of a lifetime.

wow. sounds like a great trip to Vienna. i'm not 'yet' become an opera fan, although i could see myself becomming one as i love the music, and the singing. one of my favorite recent discoveries is a Westminster Lp 'Rossini Overtures' Volume 1 (WST 14128) played by an Italian Opera Orchestra. those guys rock!!

there is a 'Barber of Seville' that i cannot play enough.......one of the most dynamic pieces of music i've yet experienced. takes my breath away.

nine members of the orchestra with SME's is remarkable, that is a very very good sign!

with all the optimizing you've done to your SME 30 it's got to sound remarkable.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I sold my Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE as I want to upgrade. One of the tables I'm considering is the Nottingham Analogue Space 294. It has two things going for it that I really like. One is the pretty massive platter which gives it more stability, and the other is the low-torque AC motor that provides a really low noise floor. I do have one concern however. The headshell of the Space arm doesn't have a finger-lift, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to position and then remove the arm. It looks really awkward to manage, so I'm looking for help or insight.

NA Space 294.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi John,

I have some wands without any finger lifts. All I do is use the arm lift. To cue I keep the arm lift up and just gently slide the arm inwards and over the section I want to listen to then lower the arm lift slowly. To remove, I just up the lift and slide towards the locking mechanism. It takes a little bit of getting used and by little I do mean little. You should get the hang of it by at least the 5th try. 2 to 3 is more like it.

Enjoy the new deck! :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

I have some wands without any finger lifts. All I do is use the arm lift. To cue I keep the arm lift up and just gently slide the arm inwards and over the section I want to listen to then lower the arm lift slowly. To remove, I just up the lift and slide towards the locking mechanism. It takes a little bit of getting used and by little I do mean little. You should get the hang of it by at least the 5th try. 2 to 3 is more like it.

Enjoy the new deck! :D
Hi Jack,

I always use the arm lift before and after as you said. I guess I just need to gently push the wand into place (and vice-versa). I was hoping for a magic trick! Haha!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing