Antileon bias question

Davidz

Dec 12, 2016
I am considering the purchase of an Antileon, and I have perused the operations manual. The 3 buttons on the front appear to provide the useful function of changing bias from L, M and H. However, I'm a little puzzled by this comment in the owner's manual:

Bias may be adjusted with the Antileon turned on. However, we recommende that bias adjustment be made once and for all during initial installation.

What does "initial installation" mean? When you first turn it on after purchase? When you first turn on the master power? When you turn it on from standby? Why is any of the foregoing preferable to adjusting bias while it is on? Just curious what current owners do. Thanks. -- David

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi David,

Having now owned the original Antileon, Colosseum and now Mephisto, I dont think it is as rigid as you are concerned about. What I can say is that dthis appears to be a comment recommending two things:

1. Set it and forget it. Mainly because I think they are suggesting that you get the amp right for your requirements (ie, if you have 100db efficient speakers you may very well be utilizing a teeny amount of the Antileon...so Lo Bias could well be fine. On the other hand, if you are in a big room with 85 db speakers, then crank the High Bias...but then just leave it in High so you are getting the best performance out of something you have already invested a lot of money and time into
2. Plus, while you can switch from time to time if you wish, you are effectively doing the equivalent of cooling down, heating up, cooling down...each time you press one of the bias buttons. I have never personally been particularly comfortable 'stressing the system' that way.

As for WHEN you can swtich, I think you can do it in the middle of listening to music, and that is fine. In fact, with the system OFF, I actually dont think you can change it because all of the lights are off...the unit simply turns on to the last bias setting you had.

Davidz

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks....interesting take. Some reviewers have described using the bias buttons sort of like tone controls -- i.e., choosing the one most compatible with the music. Others refer to the ability to use the lower bias settings as a way to keep the amp warm while not doing critical listening, to incur less heat and power draw. My own "bias" is closer to yours -- a "set it and forget it" approach to me is the most appealing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, in fact, I have specifically heard some people prefer heavy metal with lower bias because it is more raw sounding. To me, that feels intuitively incorrect. I prefer to hear it with Class A...I actually do prefer heavy metal thru High Bias. But in addition to the personal preference, I also feel if every other kind of music sounds better with High Bias, then it stands to reason that what we are hearing from Metallica or someone else thru High Bias is also more truthful, better, whatever...in comparison with Medium or Low Bias.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing