Another should I add vinyl thread

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I've paid zero attention to streaming. Classical is not a genre where one jumps around from track to track,
For some reason, this always comes up in discussions about streaming. It always comes across us sort of a backhanded slight. There’s no reason why streaming music as opposed to putting on an LP or CD necessarily precipitates listening by skipping around. I listen by streaming and I only listen to complete albums, of which classical is at least half. And, depending on the recording, it sounds wonderful.

Reactions: Al M. and rando

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For some reason, this always comes up in discussions about streaming. It always comes across us sort of a backhanded slight. There’s no reason why streaming music as opposed to putting on an LP or CD necessarily precipitates listening by skipping around. I listen by streaming and I only listen to complete albums, of which classical is at least half. And, depending on the recording, it sounds wonderful.

I do not regularly involve with discussions of streaming so I don't have a clue about what always come up. I agree that whatever the media nothing happens necessarily. Some who do streaming claim they like the ability to jump from one offering to another but I can't speak to how that comes across.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks for the further explaination. It definitely helps me to learn.

You're welcome, but I am just giving my opinion. Not everyone's perception is the same.

Ed Meither of EMM doesn’t believe in external clocks. He’s rather direct about the topic. (Stereophile).

Yes, he has a strong opinion, one that appears to be shared by many engineers. On the other hand, the external clock of the dCS Vivaldi seems to provide great sound quality for the DAC (I have heard the entire Vivaldi 4-stack), so who am I to judge the engineering choices by dCS?

In my DAC, as in so many others including yours, the internal clock has the last word. The reclocker after the transport just helps along the way. As far as I know, in recording studios you also have clocking at different stages, and/or an external masterclock that synchronizes it all.

Reactions: Audire

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
PS: someone commented on the DA2 DAC. The DA2 v2 DAC is a completely different DAC in SQ and when mixed with the EMM PRE a delight to listen to. I can’t turn it off - 10 hours already today.

Excellent. Great digital can be very engaging!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I do not regularly involve with discussions of streaming so I don't have a clue about what always come up. I agree that whatever the media nothing happens necessarily. Some who do streaming claim they like the ability to jump from one offering to another but I can't speak to how that comes across.
My music listening has taken an about face 100%. For me at the moment it is about discovering music that I don't have versus the music I do have on the shelf for the last 4 decades. I love discovering new music at the moment.

There is a playlist on Spotify called Whisky Blues the best of Slow Blues/Rock by a guy that curates a few play lists, goes by Dons Tunes, think he is on you tube also under the same name, great stuff not all by famous people, but great music.

I love sitting in my chair with my laptop...in my lap, for hours and hours discovering new to me music, it makes me smile.

I have not bought any new vinyl in quite some time. I have actually culled the collection quite a bit. Gone are the days that if you wanted to have all the music out there so just in case someone wanted to hear something you to go buy it and I don't have many people over like I used to anyways.

It is all about your personal journey anyways and what ever floats your boat is not the same water that floats the next persons boat.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
This is exactly what I did. Two years ago I purchased a digital only system. As many here may recall, I thought I had arrived. I had a good analogue sounding DAC and the music was great. It was enjoyable. I now have a new digital system (EMM DAC + PRE + N30SA), which has been upgraded. It's awesome and still breaking in. I really like my digital! Yes, it sounds analogue!!!

We just moved a couple months back. All my friends in N FL have vinyl. This is essentially all they listen to. So, when I visited them during the last few months, I heard vinyl again and again and again. During this time I think I learned how to listen better. I wasn't really trying to, but it was just happening. I was being drawn more and more into the music. There was more emotion being set free in my soul when hearing vinyl. I began to realize what I was missing. I heard the differences more and more - and they weren't subtle.

I desired a TT before all this, but the visiting and listening to other's systems got me addicted. My TT will be delivered and setup on the 15th, 'if all goes as planned.' A TT pro is flying in to set it all up with my dealer... I was told to expect at least an 8 hour setup (J. Sikora Standard Max [183 lbs.], KV12 tonearms, Opus1, MSL SP carts).

Something else I've discovered in this exercise. I'm not really a classical music type person. I listened to some on streaming (N100H which is gone now), but it just didn't grip me. But with the differences I'm hearing with vinyl I'm actually somewhat drawn more to it. At a friend's home, I requested to hear classical album. That's not like me at all. I'm still going to listen to female vocals and soft rock for sure, but I never thought I would say that I enjoyed classical.

Warning: If you have a digital only system, don't visit friends that have a well set-up vinyl system. You're going to desire one!
Congrats! I'm glad you are happy. I would change your last sentence to say, "Warning: If you have a digital only system, don't visit friends that have a well set-up vinyl system. You're going to desire one and need a ton of $ to afford it!" :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
you don't need a lot of money to be happy digitally or analogously. exsample. digital a computer dante protocol (digital audio network through ethernet) and a lynx hilo dac costs 6000 € or a clearaudio dc performance turntable with tagential tonearm tt5 with ortofon mc 30 super and a good phonoamp. both cost € 6000 and many would be surprised how close that plays to really expensive devices.
if I had to start all over I would choose one of the two and be happy.
2_gesamtansicht_schwarz_605.jpg hilo_schwarz_weiss.jpg

Reactions: Solypsa and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Congrats! I'm glad you are happy. I would change your last sentence to say, "Warning: If you have a digital only system, don't visit friends that have a well set-up vinyl system. You're going to desire one and need a ton of $ to afford it!" :)

LOL I agree some vinyl rigs can cost a lot - a whole lot. I’m investing app the same in my vinyl rig as I have in my digital one. However, there are many TT systems out there that wouldn’t break the bank.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
you don't need a lot of money to be happy digitally or analogously. exsample. digital a computer dante protocol (digital audio network through ethernet) and a lynx hilo dac costs 6000 € or a clearaudio dc performance turntable with tagential tonearm tt5 with ortofon mc 30 super and a good phonoamp. both cost € 6000 and many would be surprised how close that plays to really expensive devices.
Always wondered why Dante/ Ravenna protocol are rare for audiophile dacs...ok its off topic ;)

Reactions: DasguteOhr

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
if I had to start all over I would choose one of the two and be happy.
View attachment 86307 View attachment 86308
Just an FYI - the digital is ~5.5K USD, the analog assuming a proportionally priced phono preamp at ~2K USD brings the analog to about 2x the digital cost.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
LOL I agree some vinyl rigs can cost a lot - a whole lot. I’m investing app the same in my vinyl rig as I have in my digital one. However, there are many TT systems out there that wouldn’t break the bank.
True, and there are even more so in digital. ;-)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Here not analog new not used
Clearaudio TT ~2k€
Tonearrm tt5 ~ 2.4k€
Ortofon mc 950€
Phonoamp tube innovative audio kit 750€~1100€

Digital new
audiophile laptop 64gb ram better power supply and good dante card
~ 2600-3000€
Lnyx hilo or burl bomber dac ~2700€
Ok digital is a little bit cheaper

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Here not analog new not used
Clearaudio TT ~2k€
Tonearrm tt5 ~ 2.4k€
Ortofon mc 950€
Phonoamp tube innovative audio kit 750€~1100€

Digital new
audiophile laptop 64gb ram better power supply and good dante card
~ 2600-3000€
Lnyx hilo or burl bomber dac ~2700€
Ok digital is a little bit cheaper
Clearaudio TT - $3000 USD = $2660 €
link: Clearaudio Performance DC – Overture Ultimate Home Electronics? (overtureav.com)

Tonearrm tt5 - $4500 USD = $3986 €
link: Clearaudio TT-5 Tonearm – Overture Ultimate Home Electronics? (overtureav.com)

Google the rest, analog is way more $, not to mention platter mat, isolation footers, cleaning machine, etc...

Reactions: bonzo75

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Clearaudio TT - $3000 USD = $2660 €
link: Clearaudio Performance DC – Overture Ultimate Home Electronics? (overtureav.com)

Tonearrm tt5 - $4500 USD = $3986 €
link: Clearaudio TT-5 Tonearm – Overture Ultimate Home Electronics? (overtureav.com)

Google the rest, analog is way more $, not to mention platter mat, isolation footers, cleaning machine, etc...
I would buy where things are cheap, my tip. as a starter you don't need any large accessories. that comes later when you want more sound, is my experience.
With tonearm and cart

TT 5 tonearm

We can argue about it for a long time now, but I promise you that both digital and analog will play at a very high level. that no upgrade is necessary at first.peace have fun

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing