An Example of a Component Audition at a Dealer: Applying My Method and Afterthoughts

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Here's an example of how I used the method I previously described here to evaluate equipment. Yesterday I visited a very familiar dealer's listening room--one where I have quite frequently auditioned equipment in the past--to audition the new version of circa-$15k/pair loudspeakers. A particular well-known reviewer uses the prior version of these as "reference" speakers in his surround sound system. They are moderately large three-way floor standing box speakers with an elegant/high-tech design. This pair was represented as fully broken in, having been played at another store for several weeks before being transferred to this store. Electronics were all from a single high-end brand and are the electronics I usually use to audition speakers at this dealer. I listened for less than 45 minutes because that was all it took for me to reach what I considered a fairly firm conclusion using my method.

First up was 88 Basin Street with the Count Basie band. Bass purred with warmth and was well defined and deep. Very dynamic presentation, with open, clear, large presentation. Those were as they should be. Soundstage was not as well developed or defined as it should have been, however, and cymbal crashes seemed forward.

I tried another big band recording from my current travel pack, the early Reference Recordings "Your Friendly Neighborhood Big Band." Again very dynamic presentation and this time there was great depth of stage, as this recording should sound. But cymbals again crashed brashly and lacked shimmer. The female vocal also sounded too sibilant and almost lispy.

I tried Clark Terry's "Live From the Village Gate" on Chesky, moving my chair closer to get close to 90-degree separation on this coincidently miked stereo recording. Cymbals again were overly prominent, and I further zeroed in on the problem as too much ring (mid-treble) relative to shimmer (top octave) and tap (midrange and lower). Terry's trumpet was also edgier than it should be. Peaky octave from 5 kHz to 10 kHz was my thought.

I moved to female vocal/piano recital on a "pedestrian" DGG recording, Salzburg Recital. Piano sound was decent, but not as clear and real as it can sound, and not as clearly focused on the stage in back of the vocalist as it should sound. Kathleen Battle's voice was surprisingly unrealistic, almost unrecognizable as her: very sibilant with the delicate tender qualities almost totally covered up. When she hit the high note at the end of "O Had I Jubal's Lyre," yes, it was dynamically contrast-y enough, but rather than raise the hackles on the back of my neck and take my breath away, it made me cringe a bit. Also, the movements of her voice on the stage were not as well defined in their moment-to-moment unsettledness as I know they can be, jerking suddenly far left at the climax. Very odd.

I move to a pop recording, Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley. Again, Eva's voice is quite sibilant and the litheness of her technique, the way she sings around the center tone of a note from moment to moment, is almost absent. Cymbals again ring too much and lack shimmer, and thus seem overly prominent and forward in the mix as in "hey, listen to me!" Ugh.

I could have stopped the audition there, maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it began, and crossed these speakers off my list, since I really cannot abide speakers with mid-treble peaks. But I proceeded to more fully evaluate other aspects of their performance. Any other problems would prevent me from later questioning my conclusions and wanting to re-audition them at a later date.

I quickly moved on to small vocal ensemble, The Waverly Consort. Nice deep acoustic, lots of hall venue, as it should be. Vocals fairly clean, but not as natural sounding and clean as the Harbeth sound I know well. Ensemble work of the voices was not as cleanly blended with yet distinct voices as it should/can be. A bit of grunge on the ensemble vocal sound, actually. Good, but not breath-taking, as I know it can be. I miss the Radial cones of my Harbeths.

Unusually, I decide not to test the speakers with large chorus (RR Rutter Requiem) since if it can't handle small vocal ensembles well, large choruses won't be up to snuff either.

On to RR's early orchestral recording, Fiesta. Good solid bass drum whacks and nice depth of stage, as appropriate on this one. But the bells are a bit fuzzy, not as bell-like as they should be. Again, the lack of Radial midrange and the signature of this model's midrange cone is raising its not-so-pretty head.

More bass: the Gnomus cut of the Dorian organ version of Pictures at an Exhibition. Excellent bass depth and definition for this size speaker unaided by subwoofer. When I turned it up toward what I regard as realistic levels for this cut, something in the room or speakers "took off" a bit with bass resonance, but I will charitably blame the room. Good down to the 30s I'd say, but not like the acoustic suspension bass room-lock effect of my JL Audio f113 subs which are flat to way below that and can play this cut much louder without any distress whatsoever.

On the Mercury Living Presence "The Composer and His Orchestra," I verify that the speakers are rolling the top octave compared to the next octave down since they don't well reveal the peak centered at about 11 kHz caused by the old microphones. And, oddly, this recording sounds more "civilized," than it should, as if the speakers were tuned around this recording to take out the recording's top-octave emphasis and not reveal the peakiness in the speakers' mid-treble I've observed on other recordings. That's not impossible, since this recording has an audiophile reputation of being of reference quality. This recording also sounds oddly non-open, compressed. and undynamic. Tape hiss is relatively innocuous, a bit too much so, being only a quiet "ssss" with no lower "shussh" overlay. Soundstage is good, but not as good as I know it can be on this recording.

Just for kicks I try to evaluate the speakers' ultimate soundstaging capabilities with a coincidently miked Sheffield Lab recording of Wagner and others. I move forward again to get the best possible focus. Good, but not world-class solidity of staging, but the speakers could probably do better if I'd angled them in a bit more. Low cellos are nicely differentiated. But . . . the violins are steely, which definitely should not be on this recording.

Enough.

I'm sure the midrange on these new speakers will sound just dandy to many. But we Harbeth owners are used to a much higher standard of naturalness and truly clean clarity without "edge." The Kevlar "crack" or "cringe" sound to the midrange is still very much there on these newest models using that material for the midrange cone. Voices don't sound nearly as natural as with Harbeths and small vocal ensembles are just not very well defined as individual voices and tend to sound a bit grungy. And Harbeth's natural-sounding high-frequency balance and the near-perfect integration of tweeter and midrange was missing. The mid highs were just too strong, making the ringing sound of cymbals overly prominent at the expense of shimmer and strongly coloring female voices, so strongly that much of the singer's identity, not just the beauty and subtlety of the particular singer's art, is erased.

Frankly, these sounded about the way the old version measured in figure 4 in this review except that in these new ones the 4 kHz peak might even be a bit more prominent. To my ears, to sound maximally natural on a decent range of commercial recordings in this type of on-axis measurement, the speaker response should not exceed the 1 kHz reference level in the range from 2 kHz on up. And given the way most commercial recordings are made, I actually tend to prefer a bit of a downsloping response from bass to treble, with even a bit of a dip-and-return from 2 to 6 kHz thrown in for good measure.

To me, peaks in the 2 kHz to 10 kHz region are anathema to natural sound, whether the speakers cost $150, $15,000, or $150,000. Sure, with more money, you buy less distortion, higher SPLs, more bass extension, etc. But the basic on-axis frequency balance still has to be correct in order for the speakers to sound realistic, at least to me. Such response obviously can and has been built into speakers before, such as here for very cheap and here for a fraction of what these new speakers cost.

Sometimes--more and more lately--I think that consumer speaker design is devolving rather than evolving. Perhaps that shouldn't be surprising given what I see as a general dumbing-down trend in the wider culture. A "hi-fi" sound that is sui generis--with little in common with the sound of live unamplified instruments and voices--has become the "house sound" of many manufacturers, even those with histories in pro-audio monitoring.

Yes, consumer-oriented speakers are getting better at playing louder cleanly with reasonable amount of power, presenting a decently large, open soundstage, portraying instruments in depth and superficially sounding clean and very detailed. The bass region, particularly, seems better handled in terms of power handling, punch, and differentiation.

But can't they at least get solo female vocals to sound beautifully intimate without excess sibilance and edge? Female vocals are a staple of audiophile demo material and a speaker which can't even handle such actually easy-to-reproduce-decently material with beauty and grace certainly is not worth $15k a pair. And most modern recordings--female vocals included--are already too hot in the treble for their own good. What are they thinking?

And cymbal shimmer is, or ought to be, a sound common enough to many listeners' experience to be conspicuous in its absence. Everyone has heard a drum kit. But then I remember that today most drum kits are in isolation booths even when heard live and really do have very little shimmer compared to ring because the PA system is inadequate or the booth blocks the shimmer. And then there is the ubiquitous sampled noise which passes for a drum kit on many current recordings.

And miked trumpets ARE very likely to sound too trebly/edgy . . . .

So it goes. Art more and more mimics technology, rather than the other way around. Quite depressing. It's enough to make me want to dive further into vintage audio. Back in the day, Acoustic Research knew how to get a natural-sounding frequency balance from a home system quite well. No, it wasn't perfect, but when it erred, it erred in the direction of just moving you backward in the concert hall rather than throwing unnatural tizz at your ears. Sophisticated high art translated well through relatively "primitive" technology by tastefully intelligent designers who knew well the sound of the real thing and used every trick then available to them to emulate it. Now, we have speaker technology and development tools undreamed of 40 years ago, but apparently many speaker designers and consumers could care less or know less about the art.

On the way back from yesterday's audio-store audition, I tuned my car's HD FM radio to the local college jazz music station. I instantly heard a more life-like portrayal of cymbal sound--tap, ring, and shimmer all in fairly decent balance--from my factory-installed auto system which, believe me, in no way represents state-of-the-art sound. At least it cheered me up to know that I was NOT imagining the lack of high-frequency realism I'd just heard in a pair of $15k speakers.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Are you sure it was the kevlar mids? Could be the metal tweeters. Or the crossovers. Or both. I find midrange purity in passive systems, particularly 3-ways, elusive. But I haven't heard Harbeths.

P

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Are you sure it was the kevlar mids? Could be the metal tweeters. Or the crossovers. Or both. I find midrange purity in passive systems, particularly 3-ways, elusive. But I haven't heard Harbeths.

P

And how do YOU know that the midrange purity you find in some systems is due to their active nature and not some other factor? I suspect it's because you find this quality in a number of active systems, but not in many passives. Similarly, I find midrange purity in all Harbeths with Radial cones and find it lacking in a number of models with Kevlar midranges. And, frankly, I haven't yet heard the kind of purity I hear on even the least expensive Harbeths in speakers with any other kind of cone midrange.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
And how do YOU know that the midrange purity you find in some systems is due to their active nature and not some other factor? I suspect it's because you find this quality in a number of active systems, but not in many passives. Similarly, I find midrange purity in all Harbeths with Radial cones and find it lacking in a number of models with Kevlar midranges. And, frankly, I haven't yet heard the kind of purity I hear on even the least expensive Harbeths in speakers with any other kind of cone midrange.

You suspect right. I'd love to hear the Harbeths. I have heard passives that come very close to the clarity of good active systems, and they've always been old school -- poly or paper cones, silk domes. And I suspect much of that clarity is in the crossover and the headroom, too.

P

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
we all have our reference...what we listen and are used to.

so, in any new audition we are referring back to our 'standard'...

can that in itself colour our audition?

Obvious example, let's reverse the process, and you are used to these speakers you have just listened to, with the sizzle at certain frequencies (and say we love them ok?)

now, listen to the harbeths which don't seem to have that trait (just going from what you've written)

would not the shoe be on the other foot?

how do we overcome this 'problem', if indeed it is a problem?

(ps, I didn't see any graphs, I presume this is a copy of an article elsewhere?)

and finally, just browsed the article a second time so could have missed it a second time, but I did not see any reference to a metal dome tweeter? (it's probably there, I did at least notice the reference to kevlar..a bit embarrassing I know)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Tom for a wonderful article, but I can't help and think this wasn't so much an audition as opposed to a confirmation-gathering exercise about the Harbeths. I am glad that you are as pleased with your speaker of choice as you are, but surely this "un-named" $15,000 speaker had some qualities at which it performed quite well, if not excelled. IMO, I honestly don't think you went with a truly open mind.

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
we all have our reference...what we listen and are used to.

so, in any new audition we are referring back to our 'standard'...

can that in itself colour our audition?

Obvious example, let's reverse the process, and you are used to these speakers you have just listened to, with the sizzle at certain frequencies (and say we love them ok?)

now, listen to the harbeths which don't seem to have that trait (just going from what you've written)

would not the shoe be on the other foot?

how do we overcome this 'problem', if indeed it is a problem?

(ps, I didn't see any graphs, I presume this is a copy of an article elsewhere?)

and finally, just browsed the article a second time so could have missed it a second time, but I did not see any reference to a metal dome tweeter? (it's probably there, I did at least notice the reference to kevlar..a bit embarrassing I know)

No reference to a metal tweeter. Could have been diamonds instead of gold :). I was guessing. You're right about the reference. A lot of people will deem the kind of speakers I like best as boring or laid-back. I consider both of those very desirable qualities.

P

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Thanks Tom for a wonderful article, but I can't help and think this wasn't so much an audition as opposed to a confirmation-gathering exercise about the Harbeths. I am glad that you are as pleased with your speaker of choice as you are, but surely this "un-named" $15,000 speaker had some qualities at which it performed quite well, if not excelled. IMO, I honestly don't think you went with a truly open mind.

John

I must admit that thought crossed my mind too, which kinda led to my question

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I must admit that thought crossed my mind too, which kinda led to my question

It was your post that led me to mine. It brings up the question how one does go about auditioning speakers objectively? Can it even be done since we all have all our own preferences? I'll be staying tuned for the comments to follow!

John

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
You suspect right. I'd love to hear the Harbeths. I have heard passives that come very close to the clarity of good active systems, and they've always been old school -- poly or paper cones, silk domes. And I suspect much of that clarity is in the crossover and the headroom, too.

P

Harbeths have always been designed as passive systems. There is an active version of the 40.1 for the British market only. The Sound Pro article about the making of a monitor speaker gives a lot of detail about Alan Shaw's design process and the unique qualities of the Radial cone material which are hard to glean from elsewhere. Make sure to read the side bars. At the beginning of page 5, Shaw talks about the active/passive design issue.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland

John

Well, sure, I already own speakers I like a lot. I would not be auditioning speakers in this price class for another system. Perhaps I should have said that up front. Thus, I would certainly be comparing what I'm familiar with, like, and feel is pretty accurate, with the qualites of any unfamiliar speakers. The unfamiliar ones would have to substantially outperform the ones I have in order for me to decide to trade what I have for something new. I don't usually seriously audition equipment at a dealer just to hear what it sounds like out of idle curiosity.

Perhaps the ways the speakers I heard were superior to what I have was not clear. They could play louder without any additional obvious distortion than my Harbeths and were certainly higher in sensitivity. The bass is more extended and powerful with less problems with excess warmth. They had "jump factor" which was at least as good.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
It was your post that led me to mine. It brings up the question how one does go about auditioning speakers objectively? Can it even be done since we all have all our own preferences? I'll be staying tuned for the comments to follow!

John

well, ask sean what HE thinks! I can't help but agree too, but hey, HOW do we go about that ourselves in our own home?

Here is an entertaining and fascinating read I think you'll enjoy. One mans journey in this area

http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/some_reminiscing/P0/

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Well, sure, I already own speakers I like a lot. I would not be auditioning speakers in this price class for another system. Perhaps I should have said that up front. Thus, I would certainly be comparing what I'm familiar with, like, and feel is pretty accurate, with the qualites of any unfamiliar speakers. The unfamiliar ones would have to substantially outperform the ones I have in order for me to decide to trade what I have for something new. I don't usually seriously audition equipment at a dealer just to hear what it sounds like out of idle curiosity.

Perhaps the ways the speakers I heard were superior to what I have was not clear. They could play louder without any additional obvious distortion than my Harbeths and were certainly higher in sensitivity. The bass is more extended and powerful with less problems with excess warmth. They had "jump factor" which was at least as good.

P.S. Some more information might be helpful. I am not at this time a professional reviewer. I usually only audition equipment which I could afford to buy for cash with my own money and which might fit into one of my own systems. Sometimes I make exceptions for edge-of-the-art stuff, just to see what someone thinks is the best that can be done in some way.

Right now I am contemplating changing my reference system from two-channel stereo to surround sound. Before I invest in more Harbeth speakers I therefore wanted to make sure that nothing else around the same price as my M40.1s or cheaper would sound more realistic to me in a two channel system. Because a reviewer I have long respected believed the earlier model of the speakers I talked about in my example were of "reference" quality and has been talked about very favorably elsewhere, I wanted to hear the new version since it's about the same price as my M40.1s. Also, I've previously owned two other speakers with Kevlar midranges (Legacy Audio Whispers and B&W 801 Matrix Series II) and liked them at the time, and wanted to hear whether the latest version of a Kevlar midrange might have conquered the shortcomings I only heard after I became familiar with the Harbeth "magic midrange" as I've called it.

I'm really not sure what the reference in some of the posts to "objective" reviews of speakers is all about. Are you talking about blind tests of speakers? Or are you talking about not comparing one speaker to another? Are you talking about some sort of point system where you assign points for excellence on various parameters and then evaluate the speakers by total points accumulated so that one factor does not get undue weight?

I compare the sound of speakers being auditioned to my aural memory of what real live unamplified instruments sound like in a decent hall from the kind of close-up seat I prefer. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I hear that kind of live sound, primarily with classical, jazz, and sacred music, most every week. I assume that ideally played back, the music on my chosen CDs can resemble live sound pretty closely in some respects if the playback system is doing its job. That's a big assumption perhaps, but it is one reason I cherry pick most of the disks I use for familiarity and my knowledge that with equipment I have found to be long-term realistic at home, these disks do in fact sound fairly realistic.

My Harbeths sound more realistic in many ways than any other speakers I've owned or heard elsewhere. That's why I mentioned the Harbeth sound at certain points in my example. Sure, some speakers are better than the M40.1s in some ways. I identified a few ways in which the speakers I heard the other day were better than my Harbeths.

But each of us needs to identify the sonic criteria which really matter to us. For me, overall frequency balance from bottom to top, a natural sounding balance in the mids and treble, clarity without added edge, lack of unnatural distortion of voices, and the spatial aspects of reproduction are the most important things. The music I care most about is classical vocal and orchestral and jazz. How loud the system will play, how sensitive or efficient it is, macrodynamic jump factor, bass extension and impact are nice to have, but, given my priorities, I won't buy a speaker which excels in those areas if its mid-highs are so prominent as to render a familiar classical singer's voice nearly unrecognizable. That's why I was able to state that 15 minutes into my audition I had discovered a flaw which I knew would prevent me from being happy with the auditioned speaker, regardless of its excellences in other areas.

Others may value other aspects of sonic reproduction most highly, and I respect that. You might very well prefer the speakers I auditioned to my Harbeths, particularly if you don't care a whit for classical music.

But if it's your money (as it is mine), you first have to decide what's most important to you and don't get hung up about "objectivity" in evaluating speakers or other equipment. It's you who have to live with what you buy with your money. You may as well be as happy with what you buy as possible. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I know too many audiophiles who are constantly chasing their tails, equipment-wise. I do enough equipment swap outs as it is, even though I try to keep my priorities firmly in mind.

I also will eschew the ultimate in apparent "detail" if such a component makes a lot of recordings painful to listen to. While you might not know it from what I write hereabouts, I really do just want to listen to music sometimes. When I do that, I want the equipment to get out of the way to a maximal extent and not remind me overly much of a recording's sonic shortcomings. I favor components which, while clear sounding, are also relaxed sounding and which seem to bring out the sonic and musical best in as wide a range of recordings as possible.

Just a little further note on what I regard as a unique (so far, at least, in my auditioning experience) aspect of the sound of Harbeth loudspeakers: the way they reproduce human voices in a remarkably soft, fleshy way. In real life, there are no hard, gritty, bangy sounds possible to be made with a human voice. Even when someone uses their voice to intentionally make clicking or popping sounds, it sounds soft and fleshy, not like rocks or even wood hitting together.

Try this: have a woman whisper words right into your ear at a range of a couple of inches. Yes, there is strong sibilance, but it still sounds soft and fleshy, intimate, in fact, because of that. Or, listen to an operatic soprano hit a powerful high note unamplified in a decent hall. Yes, there is tremendous power but the voice doesn't make you cringe the way it will on many, even most audio reproduction systems. Operatic soprano voice has acquired a bad reputation for being obnoxious largely because of the problems most audio equipment has traditionally had reproducing it.

But with Harbeth speakers, yes, on closely miked female vocals you will hear strong sibilance, but as with the real thing there is nothing hard, edgy, or grating about the sound. And with the operatic soprano, as long as your amps are up to it and you use realistic volume, the sound will raise the hackles on the back of your neck and take your breath away, just as it does in the concert hall, and you will not have a cringe response. In contrast, most speakers, including the ones I auditioned at the store, when presented with sibilants, hard consonants, or raw vocal power WILL harden the sound of the voice so that, in some ways you know it's a mechanical reproduction just because of those hard-sounding added distortions.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Tom, I was not particularly 'pointing at you' when I made my comment.

I AM however interested in the psychological aspect of this.

Personally, I would find a blind test of speakers very educamacational. How to do it tho, that is the question. If it is of any interest to others (dunno) it may be of greater interest to me than the general population of audiophiles as my speakers are DIY (so more in the boat of Dave Moulton).

I remember I started a thread on DIY about how we'd fare if we put our own speakers up against the 'equivalent' commercial offering (we all think our own speakers are the bees knees don't we). Would we in fact choose our own speakers?? Or would we, once blinded to out pride an joy, finally be able to evaluate them truthfully. Much to my surprise there was relatively little interest or desire to do such a thing.

"I don't need to, cause even if I think they are great, everyone who has heard them agrees with me" type of stuff. Ha, and for all I know THEY are the ones in other places and other times pushing people to do blind tests on cables and whatnot. That's the trouble with forums, many are unwilling to do as they themselves preach....

So, I was really more interested in the notion of 'how long do we need before we can fully evaluate any given set of speakers on their own merit?" There MUST initially be that period of ''these are similar/different to my 'speakers' '', ie concentration on comparison.

The proverbial mouth rinse if you follow, before we go on to the next course of the meal.

The guy who goes from a single driver set up with 2 watts/channel to a fully blown multiway with distributed subs....no doubt his first impression would be 'way too much bass' (no matter how accurate the actual in room response). How long does he have to listen before he gets over that 'stumbling block'?

You may argue that it does not matter, (you said something close to that in your last post?) as we are only deciding for ourselves. yeah, I get that, but still have in the back of my mind the caveats just outlined.

And, I am really looking at things like the reverse of your initial post. For now (and in any case I have no reason to doubt it) let's assume that your harbeths ARE completely natural and lifelike in the important areas (mids and voices etc that you've mentioned).

In other words, for the sake of this illustration ALL (should) pick the harbeths due to them being the 'correct' presentation.

So I go and audition them from the speakers you just reviewed. Complete reversal of the same situation.

I listen to the harbeths and go 'ugh, no sparkle, no detail' (or whatever whatever), in other words I MISS the distortions I am used to (or could do). I interpret those distortions as detail, revealing yada yada, and so the harbeths by default become 'boring, laid back, veiled (ie no detail)'. This is still in the comparison stage.

The way we have set up this scenario, then it would be a mistake to NOT take the time to get accustomed to the harbeths, to appreciate them and evaluate them in and of themselves. (then I went back to my original speakers and can suddenly hear that they are distortions, it does have a screechy midrange that was once 'detail'). As it would be a mistake to not purchase the harbeths (just how we set up this thought experiment) then the person NEEDS to get thru this comparison stage, he needs to get to the stage of evaluating the harbeths on their own merit.

The question is, how long is required to 'rinse the mouth'??? How long does it take to get thru this comparison stage?

And on top of all that, we have the little matter of our audition material!!! (how I know my speakers are the best on the planet is I play track three of the album, and at 2.49 into it the guitar note 'rings out majestically', soaring beautifully above the music. No other speaker does that, and that is how I know mine are the best)

The trouble is, the guitar note was never meant to ring out in isolation, it just coincides with the cone break up of my mid!! haha. So there we go, I have a 'false standard' by which I judge speakers.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble, but what really interests me in audio is the personal, how the person reacts and why. I truly suspect that a lot of the audio arguments simply come back to these boring mundane aspects of human existence, tho I feel I am a little alone in that view.

Recently I gave my thoughts on some of the great divides in audio, wondering whether or not what was missing measurements wise was within US.

Nahh, people think it is all about the gear, not the human side.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Recently I gave my thoughts on some of the great divides in audio, wondering whether or not what was missing measurements wise was within US.

Nahh, people think it is all about the gear, not the human side.

Actually Terry, I've brought that up here before too Terry :)

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Terry, watch out, I see you're starting the tail-chasing thing. :)

The things you're pointing out just show the reason why one needs a clear reference for making such decisions. You CANNOT use studio-created recordings to make these judgments--at least as long as you were not there listening at the mixing desk. You have to use recordings of players who played together in real time in the type of venue you've heard similar playing in before. And you have to be quite familiar with what REAL LIVE UNAMPLIFIED music sounds like in a decent venue. If you are, these choices are quite simple.

Sorry to be so blunt. But folks who aren't familiar with live unamplified music have no business making such judgements, much less recommending components to others. High-end audio has moved away from "the absolute sound" as the reference not really because one doesn't know what the original recordings are supposed to sound like, but simply because most of a whole generation or two of audiophiles could care less about how live unamplified music sounds and has constantly pushed for another evaluation paradigm. Sure, you have to make assumptions about the quality of the recordings you use for reference, but the same is true for any kind of recording, not just classical, and with classical, there are fewer assumptions simply because there are (or at least can be and are in "audiophile" recordings of classical music) fewer electronic links in the recording process.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Three other points occur to me:

(1) Some reviewers are beginning to argue that on-axis frequency balance of speakers really shouldn't be talked about so much in reviews since we are now in the era when the on-axis response can be corrected to a fare-thee-well by DSP or even analog EQ with so little fidelity loss due to the insertion of such a device that the gains should much outweigh any losses. The reviewer I'm thinking of now believes that the off-axis behavior of a speaker is much more important since this behavior cannot be well corrected by DSP.

I think I understand the point, but I'm not yet willing to go there. I have found equalization of on-axis mid and high frequency response to be quite problematic. I will therefore continue to audition speakers with the assumption that if I don't think the mid and high frequency response of a speaker sans EQ, I'm not going to take a chance with it on the assumption that I can "fix" it in my room with EQ.

(2) Take a look at the kinds of target curves almost everyone who uses a sophisticated DSP equalization device uses. I think you'll find that most everyone uses target curves which are a few dB up in the bass and which roll the top octave or two a few dB. Many keep the midrange flat, although some prefer a steady downward slope in response from bass to treble.

Now compare those target curves to the measured reported on-axis frequency responses you see of speakers in Stereophile, SoundStage or any other source which cares about reporting measurements. If you have never done this, I think you will be surprised at how few speakers start out with a raw overall balance that mimics what almost everyone favors in terms of tartget curve. The few that come close are the ones you want to most seriously audition if you haven't already.

(3) If you already own a sophisticated DSP unit, you can experiment with making your speakers match the measured on-axis response of any measured speaker you find in the literature. Just adjust your target curve to match the measurement. You may find this sort of exercise enlightening and quite surprising. If you are like me, with some measured responses, you will be scratching your head wondering how ANYONE can like that sound.

Of course, you could conclude that your EQ device is not correctly doing its job. But if so, you have just reinforced my conclusion in point (1).

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
FWIW Tom I'm with you on that one. Real instruments in real spaces is what I've always (unsuccessfully) chased. Shame it's so hard to compare.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing