Amp Stand for Heavy Amp on Wood Floor?

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Thanks for confirming my concern. Pathos suggest the same - replace OEMs with aftermarket footers. I’m having difficulty finding footers with a base that is not “sticky” or “rubbery” to the floor so the amp can slide relatively easily for access. unlike Isoacoustics for example which I use throughout the rest of my system and which adhere to the floor.
For people who need sliding feet also some damping (but much less than with rubber or very dampened feet), I had good result with HARMONIX TU-77M but i much prefer RF-808Z Million Maestro that are the quite best feet ** for people who don't want cones + bases. Also on wooden floor, cones+bases slide very easily (I use them under my APURNA™ mono-blocks).
Apart on convenience, very good feet are mandatory for stellar sound.
** HARMONIX TU-1000M are the best feet but much more expensive.
The very best at HARMONIX is TU-210 ZXM + RF-999a+ base.

Attachments

• RF-808Z-million_new..png
    RF-808Z-million_new..png
    268.5 KB · Views: 9

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
I’ll look into them. Cones/bases is an interesting thought. As long as the cones will stay in the bases while being moved.

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hi Ron,

i used to have my Mephisto straight on my wooden floor , after some time I had Installed sorbothane absorbers under the feet, but this had ruined the sound.
Speaking with a friend with Mephisto Monos, I went for the HRS platform and couldn’t believe the improvement I got .
Hi

no surprise, sorbothan is best use for running shoes. HRS are very good platforms, among the very best, ...even if mine are a touche better in term of dynamic and neutrality.

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 21

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I’ll look into them. Cones/bases is an interesting thought. As long as the cones will stay in the bases while being moved.
Cone will be "locked" in bases, but HARMONIX cones are not screwed. RS777Z+RF-909Z are very good and not as expensive than REI-168+RF999Z or TU-210ZXM+RF-999a+ (the very best from the master, period).

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-12-20 à 09.51.37.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-12-20 à 09.51.37.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture d’écran 2023-12-20 à 09.51.10.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-12-20 à 09.51.10.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: dgale

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Thanks for confirming my concern. Pathos suggest the same - replace OEMs with aftermarket footers. I’m having difficulty finding footers with a base that is not “sticky” or “rubbery” to the floor so the amp can slide relatively easily for access. unlike Isoacoustics for example which I use throughout the rest of my system and which adhere to the floor.
These are less than 3/4" tall, provide some isolation, can handle the weight, and would allow you to easily slide the amp. Not aware of anything better performing that wouldn't be significantly taller and/or not allow you to slide the amp:

Yamamoto PB 20 Ebony spikes (glued to the Pathos amp's bottom, e.g., with a thin layer of silicone adhesive) resting in Herbies Audiolab Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider, would improve on the above in terms of sound quality while providing similar isolation and convenience, but be about 1.25" tall:

Last edited:

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
These are less than 3/4" tall, provide some isolation, can handle the weight, and would allow you to easily slide the amp. Not aware of anything better performing that wouldn't be significantly taller and/or not allow you to slide the amp:

Yamamoto PB 20 Ebony spikes (glued to the Pathos amp's bottom, e.g., with a thin layer of silicone adhesive) resting in Herbies Audiolab Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider, would improve on the above in terms of sound quality while providing similar isolation and convenience, but be about 1.25" tall:

I can only advise about serious designs. These are cheap brass or wood things that has no vitues in my mind and could even have a negative impact. Ebony at this price... Shun Mook were more (much) expensive and only some models were quite good.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I can only advise about serious designs. These are cheap brass or wood things that has no vitues in my mind and could even have a negative impact. Ebony at this price... Shun Mook were more (much) expensive and only some models were quite good.
High value but nothing cheap (cheap ebony wood?) or non-serious about Yamamoto (who introduced ebony wood cones/cups and makes highly regarded tube gear among other things) or Herbies Audio Lab - lots of reviews can be googled. I have used both extensively with only positive effects compared with OEM feet. They are not top tier like the Dalby Audio feet, Wellfloat isolation platforms, and Marigo Mystery Feet (under my Pathos TT) that I use in my main system, but these would not meet the stated height and sliding requirements. Harmonix footers (which I've also experimented with) are top tier when they happen to synergize with a component, but are notoriously component specific, and may be too tall for the stated need. Note that in my experience combining the ebony wood cone with a brass cone cup (as in the Herbie's Audiolab glider) results in a more neutral (but still musical) sounding footer than an all ebony pair.

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
A few months back I tried the Herbie’s Decoupling Gliders, and they were a disappointment. Fortunately they have an easy return policy but I feel guilty having taken advantage of it a number of times.

Over the years I have tried many of Herbie’s products including the Gliders, various couplers like Tenderfeet, and tube damper rings. None of them stayed. Each one had problems sonically.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
My question has to do both with an appropriate amp stand and ventilation clearance for my amp.
I have a Pathos Heritage MKii Class A hybrid weighing in at approx 200 lbs. it currently sits on my oak floor partially underneath my rack. (At 26” depth it sticks out a bit.).

The amp is 9” high. The space in which it sits is 14” high giving 5” top clearance. The rack space open L/R/F/B as you can hopefully see from the attached pic.

My question is this:
What is the minimum top side clearance if I add an amp stand? I’m hesitant to use anything 3” high, which most seem to be at minimum. It doesn’t seem to generate a lot of heat, but I want to err on the side of caution.

Unfortunately there are no alternative placements for the amp.

Thanks for any advice.
With any amp that makes heat, especially tube amps, you want about 1 foot above the amp. Otherwise consider using a fan to move heat away from the amp.

Tubes, oddly enough, don't like heat. It shortens their life. Heat is hard on electrolytic capacitors too. So its a good idea to keep a tube amp (but any amp that makes heat) well ventilated.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My question has to do both with an appropriate amp stand and ventilation clearance for my amp.
I have a Pathos Heritage MKii Class A hybrid weighing in at approx 200 lbs. it currently sits on my oak floor partially underneath my rack. (At 26” depth it sticks out a bit.).

The amp is 9” high. The space in which it sits is 14” high giving 5” top clearance. The rack space open L/R/F/B as you can hopefully see from the attached pic.

My question is this:
What is the minimum top side clearance if I add an amp stand? I’m hesitant to use anything 3” high, which most seem to be at minimum. It doesn’t seem to generate a lot of heat, but I want to err on the side of caution.

Unfortunately there are no alternative placements for the amp.

Thanks for any advice.
I would definitely add fans, no matter what you do in terms of feet/platforms. Inpol amps generate a lot of heat. I have (AC Infinity) fans on top of each heat sink/cooling "tower" on my Pathos TT which are on whenever the amp is on. They pull air up through the chassis, and are quiet enough to run during music playback.

Attachments

• IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 12

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
With any amp that makes heat, especially tube amps, you want about 1 foot above the amp. Otherwise consider using a fan to move heat away from the amp.

Tubes, oddly enough, don't like heat. It shortens their life. Heat is hard on electrolytic capacitors too. So it’s a good idea to keep a tube amp (but any amp that makes heat) well ventilated.
Fortunately the tubes are in the front of the amp which is not underneath the rack at all and are open/ventilated on all sides. That seems a plus.

Reactions: Atmasphere

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Fortunately the tubes are in the front of the amp which is not underneath the rack at all and are open/ventilated on all sides. That seems a plus.
Atmasphere as in Atma-Sphere? I’ll take that as definitive advice. Thanks! Would you say that since the tube portion of the hybrid is not under the rack at all but only the solid state elements of the amp do I no longer need to worry about vent space above what is essentially the ss part of the hybrid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 6

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Herbie's Audio Labs Threaded Stud Gliders: https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collect...s/threaded-stud-glider?variant=12651505745975

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Atmasphere as in Atma-Sphere? I’ll take that as definitive advice. Thanks! Would you say that since the tube portion of the hybrid is not under the rack at all but only the solid state elements of the amp do I no longer need to worry about vent space above what is essentially the ss part of the hybrid?
Solid state devices are a lot more sensitive to heat than tubes are. If heat builds up their operating point can change with it, which is why heatsinks usually have some kind of setup for thermal feedback to the amplifier to maintain correct bias (assuming a class A or AB hybrid).

The idea of having the most heat sensitive part of the amp in a questionable heat circulation situation would make me nervous. The more heavily biased the amp is the more important it is for the heatsinks to have good ventilation.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing