Amp / Pre-amp Impedance Matching

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m aware of this I also found out there is two ways they get pinned to as well. I’m sure one is not an AES standard
also there are cables for some makers that need 4 wires
pin 2/3 balanced signal
wrapped in pin 3 as a shield bud is isolated in pre and amps
a forth for case grounding
but in this type some use only case grnd on one side
my ml stuff is not the same as my krell stuff in how many cable conductors are needed

there is also an isolated SE used by ML as well.
i don’t design nor build but always liked to fix and update
the industry really is the Wild West

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I’m aware of this I also found out there is two ways they get pinned to as well. I’m sure one is not an AES standard
also there are cables for some makers that need 4 wires
pin 2/3 balanced signal
wrapped in pin 3 as a shield bud is isolated in pre and amps
a forth for case grounding
but in this type some use only case grnd on one side
my ml stuff is not the same as my krell stuff in how many cable conductors are needed

there is also an isolated SE used by ML as well.
i don’t design nor build but always liked to fix and update
the industry really is the Wild West
FWIW in the balanced standard there is no need for 4 wires. When you see that in a 'balanced line', its a good bet whoever made the cable didn't understand how the balanced line system works.

The balanced line system ignores ground- its only used for shielding. The assumption is ground loops are unavoidable, so if you ignore ground you don't have noise from ground loops.

Reactions: Alrainbow

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
FWIW in the balanced standard there is no need for 4 wires. When you see that in a 'balanced line', its a good bet whoever made the cable didn't understand how the balanced line system works.

The balanced line system ignores ground- its only used for shielding. The assumption is ground loops are unavoidable, so if you ignore ground you don't have noise from ground loops.
Exactly, two signal pins and a ground/shield pin.
Here is an excellent piece by Bruno Putzeys about balanced connection: https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/bl...d1460406090-bruno-putzeys-micropre-g-word.pdf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing