Amp / Pre-amp Impedance Matching

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hopefully this question makes sense. I have an Ayre VX-R 20 amp and want to get a preamp to replace my Ayre K-5xe MP. The main reason why I am replacing the pre-amp is that I want one with a balance control since my seating position is off center and I don't have much flexibility to move the speakers.

Should I be paying close attention to the output impedance of the pre-amp? The K-5xe output impedance is 55 ohms per phase.

I have been looking at the BAT Vk-43SE which has an output impedance of 200 ohms per phase. I am also looking at the Bryston BP-26. I am not sure what the output impedance is for that unit.

The input impedance of the Ayre VX-R 20 is 1 Mohm per phase.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
aside of end sound yes absolutely may I ask what is the amps input imp and cable run type se or bal
the point is low preamp output imp to high input imp of amp. A general rule is 10 to 1 ratio with pre being 1 amp 10. this has a almost no effect of loading the preamp. some may say even more. i have a krell 700cx amp it’s input is 100 ohms
very low for an amp
it needs a preamp max 10 ohms output. i had to buy a krell preamp to match.
same goes for headphones to headphone amp. if the amp used is 10 ohms the headphone must be much higher or the tone is off badly.
i was going to try a imp iso transformer to make up the imp issue but I was advised it still would be bad.
I hope others here comment back I for one like real world experience beyond just theory.
ps the 2 preamps I had did not play well

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
aside of end sound yes absolutely may I ask what is the amps input imp and cable run type se or bal
the point is low preamp output imp to high input imp of amp. A general rule is 10 to 1 ratio with pre being 1 amp 10. this has a almost no effect of loading the preamp. some may say even more. i have a krell 700cx amp it’s input is 100 ohms
very low for an amp
it needs a preamp max 10 ohms output. i had to buy a krell preamp to match.
same goes for headphones to headphone amp. if the amp used is 10 ohms the headphone must be much higher or the tone is off badly.
i was going to try a imp iso transformer to make up the imp issue but I was advised it still would be bad.
I hope others here comment back I for one like real world experience beyond just theory.
ps the 2 preamps I had did not play well

The input impedance is 1 Mohm.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
One megaohm is extremely high and should match well with just about anything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing