Amir RMAF 2015 Picture Thread: Part 2

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My comments from the show are about the *demos* not products. If I don't say anything, it usually means I walked in, heard some music, nothing jumped at me, I took pictures and left. A moment later they may have played something great that would have caught my ears. That said, as I mentioned originally, I am only nothing things that are still fresh in my mind. I have to listen to audio notes I took in my phone to see if there are specific comments I made then that I have since forgotten. :)

I'm just particularly interested in impressions of this room since I was very close to supplying the speakers for them. They wanted to use these ones, but I designed them to be fully active. They needed something passive to use with their 2 channel amp. So it would have meant me building them a one off and I didn't wanna do it. So they went with the small Maggie's instead.

View attachment 22563 View attachment 22564

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm just particularly interested in impressions of this room since I was very close to supplying the speakers for them. They wanted to use these ones, but I designed them to be fully active. They needed something passive to use with their 2 channel amp. So it would have meant me building them a one off and I didn't wanna do it. So they went with the small Maggie's instead.

View attachment 22563 View attachment 22564
I wish I had known in advance and could go there on a mission to listen. Maybe I can do that for CES if they are there.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I wish I had known in advance and could go there on a mission to listen. Maybe I can do that for CES if they are there.

Well they do make good DAC's. Dustin Forman from ESS (The man behind the sabre chip) designs them his self from the ground up. They all live in my neighborhood. That amp they used was in my living room this summer. It's a pretty impressive design.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
And another good demo:

Any sources of high-res for this?
As a matter of fact, yes! And from what I have read about it the original recording was mastered at 24/96 resolution. It's just $17.98 here from HDTracks before any discounts. Then you can use the 15% coupon available on WBF, or 20% off with the "AUDIOGONHD20" coupon code. Hope this helps, enjoy the tunes! :D

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I have to tell you, there is no nicer speaker designer than Luke. So friendly, humble and yet knowledgeable. He had designed these secondary up firing speakers to provide a larger soundstage and they did exactly that. But in a subtle and not in your face. Anyone who thinks reflections should be "killed" needs to listen to an on/off demo of these secondary speakers.

So you met my evil twin, "Luke"! He only pretends to be a nice guy so he can take credit for my work. He's really an egotistical jerk who just makes it up as he goes, so don't believe a word he says.

This is the principal behind them:

Seriously, I'm thrilled that you GET IT about reflections being a good thing when done right (which includes not being overdone). Thank you for including a photo of my propaganda sheet, as I think the principles it describes are useful information whether or not one agrees with the way I tried to apply them. And yes, the drawing is an oversimplification, to a certain extent.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry Duke. Getting old is rough, rough, rough :). I corrected the original post. It was a pleasure meeting you in person Duke. Keep up the great work in breaking boundaries and assumptions in sound reproduction.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
No problem, Amir! Thank you very much for coming by our room.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

amirm, If I may inquire, were the Momentum mono blocks running during your visit to this room or the new Classic stereo?
I would be interested in your considerations were the latter to be the case.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
amirm, If I may inquire, were the Momentum mono blocks running during your visit to this room or the new Classic stereo?
I would be interested in your considerations were the latter to be the case.
The Classic amp in the middle was driving the passive subs (in the back). The monoblocks were driving their respected main speakers. As I noted in my teaser threads, this systems sounded excellent. Smooth full range sound without boomy bass or ear piercing highs.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
The Classic amp in the middle was driving the passive subs (in the back). The monoblocks were driving their respected main speakers. As I noted in my teaser threads, this systems sounded excellent. Smooth full range sound without boomy bass or ear piercing highs.

A shame that the Classic Stereo was merely on Sub duty, although understandable given the showcase, still I rather suspect that considering the RRP Dan's new amplifier should prove quite a success.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I spent quite a while in this room with Peter switching in/out the subs. You'd certainly wouldn't believe that you would need subs until you heard the difference. That's the next thing on my wish list!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They had done a very nice job of using them to smooth the bass. Where they had located them, they were defeating the nulls in the sweet spot.

Someone asked them why the subs were not powered and the guy said they would never make them because such subs would be small and not work as well! Did not have the heart to ask them why the exact same amps could not hang off the back of those subs :).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I spent quite a while in this room with Peter switching in/out the subs. You'd certainly wouldn't believe that you would need subs until you heard the difference. That's the next thing on my wish list!

At some time I owned a Wilson Watchdog. Still regret having sold it when I sold the Wilson Watt/Puppy 7. One of my problems was that the input impedance of the electronic crossover was around 4.5kohm - too low for the Audio Research Ref 5 and cj preamplifiers. I needed to use a buffer or a transformer. The built-in equalizer was quite simple to adjust.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
How was the sub woofer being rolled off (highs)? IS there a built in electronic crossover in the CLASSIC AMP?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How was the sub woofer being rolled off (highs)? IS there a built in electronic crossover in the CLASSIC AMP?

I am going to guess that since Wilson makes a Wilson Active Crossover, that they used it here to send a dedicated signal to the Classic amp and the 2 Wilson subs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing