Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Of the 20+ pair of Alsyvox that have been sold in the US in the last two years around 10 new Alsyvox owners traded in all types of top performing speakers towards Tintorettos, TX, Botticelli or BX and even Caravaggios.. The other 10+ owners either kept their existing speakers to have a variety or sold their speakers themselves either immediately or over time.

Just because Alsyvox owners decided to go the Alsvyvox route, doesn't diminish in any way their prior choice of speakers. A lot of Alsyvox owners just wanted a change, others were seduced by the Alsyvox experience and once that happens and if it's logistically and financially possible many decide to take the Alsyvox journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow and gwalt

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
That are no slouch either!

Which AlsyVox model did you get instead of the Giyas?
What amp did you use for the Giyas?
Are you still using the same amp for the AlsyVox?

Botticelli initially, then I added the external crossovers; the difference was absolutely incredible, it's like they're not even the same speaker.

I used a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenty monoblocks with the Vivids, and still use them today with the B-Xs.

Reactions: christoph

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The Alsyvox gents at the Thailand show know how to show off Alsyvox!!!

1664728861491.png
1664728953333.png
1664728978953.png

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Reactions: Alrainbow

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Somehow I think the woke police would cancel bowie if that video was released today!

Classic for me, played that album on a cassette in my little volkswagon squareback over and over driving down and back to work on the gas platforms in the Gulf of Mexico while a summer intern working for Sun Oil (1984).

Interestingly, Bowie later said the Let’s Dance album was one of his least creative periods.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: cjfrbw

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
[text omitted] "woke police" It never ends.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
As a panel fan, I am super impressed by the sound, quality and industrial design of Alysvox speakers. In addition, here is an interesting planar/ribbon hybrid with active dipole subs for those on a less generous budget. Some may want to know more.

GT Audio works.

GT Audio-works.jpeg

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
As a panel fan, I am super impressed by the sound, quality and industrial design of Alysvox speakers. In addition, here is an interesting planar/ribbon hybrid with active dipole subs for those on a less generous budget. Some may want to know more.

GT Audio works.

View attachment 98580
In the AlsyVox thread? Really?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Christoph, an honest mistake for which I will be more careful posting in this manner in the future. As I referenced, I am a big fan of Alysvox speakers (and the "two Bobs"). I assure you no poor taste or harm was intended. FYI I have no commercial interest in GT Audio Works.

Thanks for bringing your concern to my attention:)
It would be better yet if you just deleted that post out of the Alsyvox thread.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015

GT Audio works.

View attachment 98580
I am interested in reading about a similar design speaker for sale at a significantly lower (more affordable) price. The GT Audioworks speaker looks better built than a Maggie, maybe it sounds better too! Is it easier to drive?

Despite the 95 db efficiency of the Alysvox speakers, what is their impedance and phase angles? I've only read about them sounding great with high wattage amps. The only Alyxvox speaker I could possibly afford is the Tintoretto.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am interested in reading about a similar design speaker for sale at a significantly lower (more affordable) price. The GT Audioworks speaker looks better built than a Maggie, maybe it sounds better too! Is it easier to drive?

Despite the 95 db efficiency of the Alysvox speakers, what is their impedance and phase angles? I've only read about them sounding great with high wattage amps. The only Alyxvox speaker I could possibly afford is the Tintoretto.
That's great and no harm in learning about other less expensive panel speakers. It might be a good idea to start a thread about other lower priced panel speakers.

The Alsyvox speakers are 4ohm speakers and don't dip below 3.7 ohms. Right now I am driving my Botticelli X with an Esoteric 30 Watt integrated amp (Class A, F03A), it's actually 60 Watts into the 4 ohms and I love the sound. The Esoteric has enough power to not notice a difference vs. high power SS. You still get the growl down in the lower octave. With 30 Watt tube amps, they sound great, but you loose the strong low end dynamics which the Alsyvox speakers are capable of.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
That's great and no harm in learning about other less expensive panel speakers. It might be a good idea to start a thread about other lower priced panel speakers.

The Alsyvox speakers are 4ohm speakers and don't dip below 3.7 ohms. Right now I am driving my Botticelli X with an Esoteric 30 Watt integrated amp (Class A, F03A), it's actually 60 Watts into the 4 ohms and I love the sound. The Esoteric has enough power to not notice a difference vs. high power SS. You still get the growl down in the lower octave. With 30 Watt tube amps, they sound great, but you loose the strong low end dynamics which the Alsyvox speakers are capable of.
My main system uses a pair of 125 watt tube monoblocks with excellent current and huge power supply. I suspect when I heard the Botticellis (?) at a show they were using a lower powered solid state amp which was great on a trio but could not play a 12 piece jazz band (undynamic and stuck in the speaker). So, my amps should be more than adequate to achieve deep, full bass with ample dynamic range.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My main system uses a pair of 125 watt tube monoblocks with excellent current and huge power supply. I suspect when I heard the Botticellis (?) at a show they were using a lower powered solid state amp which was great on a trio but could not play a 12 piece jazz band (undynamic and stuck in the speaker). So, my amps should be more than adequate to achieve deep, full bass with ample dynamic range.
I use a VAC 100 Watt stereo at times and it is totally sufficient. You would have no issue at getting the most from Alsyvox. I agree with lower power tube amps, they don't allow the Alsyvox speakers to perform in all conditions.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia

Hey Bob - my understanding is that the Alsyvox actually dip to around 2.5 ohms at 20KHz based on a recent discussion I was having with Daniele as I had to validate the specs given an issue we were having with an amp we were testing. I’m currently using a German Physiks SS integrated amp which is fantastic, very dynamic. I am still looking at trying different amps with Dartzeel, Pilium and Aries Cerat likely to be my shortlist.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hey Bob - my understanding is that the Alsyvox actually dip to around 2.5 ohms at 20KHz based on a recent discussion I was having with Daniele as I had to validate the specs given an issue we were having with an amp we were testing. I’m currently using a German Physiks SS integrated amp which is fantastic, very dynamic. I am still looking at trying different amps with Dartzeel, Pilium and Aries Cerat likely to be my shortlist.
opps, yes I was thinking of the bass/midrange/tw drives not the ST.

Reactions: Levitator

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Somehow I think the woke police would cancel bowie if that video was released today!

Classic for me, played that album on a cassette in my little volkswagon squareback over and over driving down and back to work on the gas platforms in the Gulf of Mexico while a summer intern working for Sun Oil (1984).

Interestingly, Bowie later said the Let’s Dance album was one of his least creative periods.
Except the part where he put and up and coming little known at the time blues player Stevie Ray Vaughn solos in those two disco songs...
And here is the original version from Iggy Pops The Idiot, one of my all time favorite albums. This album is essentially a Pop/Bowie collaboration.
Back to your regularly scheduled program, sorry for the off topic banter.

Reactions: Bobvin

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

GT Audio works.

View attachment 98580
Please open a dedicated GTAW thread and I will gladly discuss this very interesting and promising design.
Maybe you could even place a link to that thread here.
On the homepage, I found very little

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing