Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
Texas
Very interesting. Thank you.

PS: I agree on the EL34. Among higher power push-pull tube amps I think EL34 is a special tube for midrange and vocals. That is why I like the VTL MB-185 with EL34s.
Funny you mention EL34. I knew a tube amp designer who designed all types of tube amps from single ended to massive push pull tube amps. He confided in me that EL34 sounded better than any comparable KT series tubes. Even better are EL84 tubes.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Funny you mention EL34. I knew a tube amp designer who designed all types of tube amps from single ended to massive push pull tube amps. He confided in me that EL34 sounded better than any comparable KT series tubes. Even better are EL84 tubes.
I especially like EL34-based power amplifier in the application where the amplifier is powering only midrange and tweeter drivers, with low frequencies handled by a self-powered woofer system. That obviates the possibly valid concern in some situations about the EL34 not being great at controlling big cones at low frequencies

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
Texas
I especially like EL34-based power amplifier in the application where the amplifier is powering only midrange and tweeter drivers, with low frequencies handled by a self-powered woofer system. That obviates the possibly valid concern in some situations about the EL34 not being great at controlling big cones at low frequencies
Yes, if you can seamlessly integrate the midrange/tweeter with the powered woofer, that would be a dream setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing