All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters ?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
So let me understand this - because its assembled in Malaysia its is somehow less then what it could be if assembled in Japan. If its cheaper to assemble in Malaysia - surely that benefits the consumer (you would hope) as well as the principle company. No different to Apple or Samsung phones - no one complains about where they assembled...
Not always. Some customers would be willing to pay more to have a japanese made speaker because it can enhance the pride of ownership.

Im not saying thats me but some people might.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I did hear though that yamaha has their own factory in malaysia so at least they can control quality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have spoken with a Japanese manufacturer who closed their international factory to bring production back into Japan (much more expensive)...because they felt they could not drive the labor internationally to deliver the quality of finishing, seams, tightness, etc that they expected...despite having their own HQ people fly over to live/work at the local factory to oversee production.

So in their minds, assembly/manufacture (the entire process) being done in Japan was not just about pride of ownership...it was because the manufacturer was categorical the product was better built to within tighter specifications, tolerances, etc.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
NS5000 owners. I am looking to get an amp for the NS5000 that I am getting this week. I have a modded PeachTree GAN1 to hold be off until I get the amp. Don't laugh it is a great amp (after the mods) but is hard for non-geeky people to use. The NS5000 will be used by the family so I will be putting a preamp, DAC, and tuner, maybe CD player, with the NS5000 and it will be easy to use for everyone. I used to have a Lumin X1 DAC but that got traded-in for the NS5000.

Here are my choices for the amps I am considering. I only mention these 3 because I have owned them in the past but never heard them with the NS5000. I have heard them with the preamp and DAC that I will be using, a Benchmark DAC3B and Benchmark LA4 preamp.

- Benchmark AHB2 monos | Audience FrontRow speaker cables
- KRELL Duo 300XD | WyWire Diamond speaker cables
- CODA #16 | WyWire Diamond speaker cables

I have all the gear listed except the AHB2 and the KRELL Duo 300XD. The KRELL Duo 300XD is buttery smooth, fatigue free, very good detail. It also has great bass, maybe as good as the CODA #16.

The Benchmark AHB2 is my favorite sounding amp but it does not scale in the bass like the KRELL and CODA. I am wondering if it can drive those 12 inch bass drivers on the NS5000. It is super clean sounding, with exceptional detail. It lets you hear everything, if it is fatiguing, it is because of what is upstream. I never found it fatiguing though. It is not an amp that lets you sink into your chair like the KRELL, but you pay attention to the sound.

The CODA #16 is incredibly powerful, has almost as much detail as the AHB2, and the only amp I did not sell because I thought it was the best overall. I like to keep the CODA #16 in my office setup since it where I am listening the most. I could always buy a second Coda #16 but prefer a bit more variety.

If the AHB2 can drive the NS5000 as good as the other 2 then I would like to get it again. I always thought the NS5000 was slightly warm but then I am reading some people state that it can be bright. So the AHB2 would not be great with a bright top end.

The KRELL DUO 300XD maybe warmth on top of warmth, which may not ideal for my tastes. The KRELL Duo 300XD is sonically like the Luxman m900u. If the NS5000 is bright on top then that would be a great match. I only heard the NS5000 with the Yamaha 5000 series gear and I thought it was a slightly warm sound.

I will figure this out once I get the speaker and test it out with the CODA #16. However, I am posting here to get some NS5000 owners perspective on these thoughts.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
@yyzSB NS5000 is neutral with a very touch of naturalness to the tone. My taste is warm and thick for most music though so I am trying to warm up my front end as much as possible.

For your taste though I think you would like the coda or ahb2 maybe with a nice tube pre in the chain.

Was there any advantage of the m900u over the krell 300xd ?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
@yyzSB NS5000 is neutral with a very touch of naturalness to the tone. My taste is warm and thick for most music though so I am trying to warm up my front end as much as possible.

For your taste though I think you would like the coda or ahb2 maybe with a nice tube pre in the chain.

Was there any advantage of the m900u over the krell 300xd ?
I owned the KRELL Duo 175XD and sold it to raise funds for some gear. I was planning on getting a KRELL Duo amp for the KEF Blades 2 Meta in the future, but since I got the NS5000 instead I am hesitant on getting the KRELL for the NS5000 for the reasons stated. Though you are saying it is more on the neutral side.

I am set on preamps with the Benchmark LA4 and the Holo Serene (just ordered). I do not want the preamp to add anything to the mix and these 2 do not.

I thought the KRELL Dou XD was very similar to the Luxman m900u. The KRELL does look ugly, and the Luxman is a beauty, though sonically they are very similar.

Maybe I should just move the CODA down to the NS5000 system and figure out something for my office speakers, such as the KRELL.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I owned the KRELL Duo 175XD and sold it to raise funds for some gear. I was planning on getting a KRELL Duo amp for the KEF Blades 2 Meta in the future, but since I got the NS5000 instead I am hesitant on getting the KRELL for the NS5000 for the reasons stated. Though you are saying it is more on the neutral side.

I am set on preamps with the Benchmark LA4 and the Holo Serene (just ordered). I do not want the preamp to add anything to the mix and these 2 do not.

I thought the KRELL Dou XD was very similar to the Luxman m900u. The KRELL does look ugly, and the Luxman is a beauty, though sonically they are very similar.

Maybe I should just move the CODA down to the NS5000 system and figure out something for my office speakers, such as the KRELL.

I think Coda and NS5000 would be a nice combination.

When is your NS5k coming? I am looking forward to your thoughts.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I think you are right about the CODA #16 being a great match for the NS5000. I only have 1 external DAC with me now, the Benchmark DAC3B. I traded in the Lumin X1 DAC to buy the NS5000. The CODA will stay in the office until I buy my likely last DAC. I am getting the Playback Designs top end or their second-best DAC. The PeachTree GAN1 (modded) goes with the NS5000 until I get the Playback Designs DAC. I think it will be a very good setup.

I have been listening to the GAN1 now for weeks and it has been great with both the KEF LS50 and Magnepan LRS+. Both are not easy to drive and like power. It should be fine with the NS5000.

Since I saved a lot of money on the gear I am now using, the DAC purchase can work financially. I also realized that having the best possible source is important. I used to own the Sony SCD-1, which died last month after 20+ years, and the designer of Playback Designs was involved in the SCD-1. A big reason for my interest in this DAC and also because it is FPGA based (they invented this genre of DACs).

The NS5000 is in transit now from the dealer in the middle of the USA to my home in Southern California. Maybe arriving by the end of the week.

My expectation is that the NS5000 will eventually be used with the Benchmark LA4 preamp | Benchmark DAC3B | Sonore OpticalRendu streamer | Coda #16 | tuner.

I am considering the Rotel Mitchi S5 stereo amp or the KRELL Duo 300XD (used) for the office to replace the CODA #16. Both will be around $7K. I also know that the much cheaper Parasound A21+ would be good in my office (owned it before), though not as good as the Mitchi or KRELL. Punting that decision for another day.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I just read this whole thread just now. That made me change my mind on the NS5000 setup. I am going to setup the Benchmark LA4 preamp | Benchmark DAC3B | Sonore OpticalRendu streamer | Coda #16 | tuner in my Livingroom when the NS5000 arrives.

I will use the PeachTree GAN1 on the office gear.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Congrats on the NS5000 purchase! I think it was smart of you to pick them over the blade2 meta's if the room will be shared by children and having seen pics of your room the yamaha's may be a better fit anyhow. Concerning the Source components it really is hard to predict which one will bring it home. I'm not a Peachtree fan, but the gan 1 may be an upgrade from the nova line. I also owned the A21 for awhile and as solid and impressive the build is it wasn't a neutral sounding amp, at least with the salon 1's I had at the time.
Once you've had the new speakers a few months and have placement figured out start playing with different amps and hear how sensitive the speakers are to source only then will you be able to decide what works best with your music and taste. Keep us in the loop.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Congrats on the NS5000 purchase! I think it was smart of you to pick them over the blade2 meta's if the room will be shared by children and having seen pics of your room the yamaha's may be a better fit anyhow. Concerning the Source components it really is hard to predict which one will bring it home. I'm not a Peachtree fan, but the gan 1 may be an upgrade from the nova line. I also owned the A21 for awhile and as solid and impressive the build is it wasn't a neutral sounding amp, at least with the salon 1's I had at the time.
Once you've had the new speakers a few months and have placement figured out start playing with different amps and hear how sensitive the speakers are to source only then will you be able to decide what works best with your music and taste. Keep us in the loop.
Thanks, it was a long time coming, but finally got it done. I also bought the following speaker covers for extra safety, YAMAHA NS-5000 Dust Cover (digitaldeckcovers.com)

The Peachtree GAN1 modded is very good. Much better than the stock variant that most are familiar with. I used to own the PeachTree Nova 150. On a relative scale, that was a 1/10 and the modded GAN1 a 10/10. I am very happy sonically with the GAN1 on my Magnepan LRS+ but the useability (volume) and connectivity options are awful. For that 1 specific way I am using the amp it is great. I am going to relegate the GAN1 as a headphone amp or backup amp in the future once I get a second amp and second DAC.

I want to get an amp that works with my 2 preamps, a Benchmark LA4 and Holo Serene, (GAN1 does not) and also be good with the following, LRS+ | KEF LS50 Meta | Yamaha NS5000 | bonus if it is good with my RAAL SR-1a earphone and CA-1a headphone.

My CODA #16 works with all of that gear perfectly. The other amp that is high on my list is a KRELL Duo XD. I used to own the Duo 175XD, so I know how it sounds. I was a little concerned that it may not be a great match with the NS5000 but after reading some posts on this thread and the online reviews of the NS5000 I now think it could be a great match. Both amps are mostly Class A and have a lot of power.

Just got a call from the shipping company and the speakers are arriving on Friday.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
The title of this thread is "

All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters?"​

The answer from me is resounding YES. This speaker is incredible. I had goosebumps listening to my not even broken in NS5000.

I did not think I could find a speaker that was as good as my RAAL VM-1a tube amp and SR1a earphone. The NS5000 sounds a lot like the RAAL ribbon in the sense of coherence and my reaction to it is just like the SR1a.

Thanks to all that posted on this thread. It helped me make a great decision.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
The title of this thread is "

All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters?"​

The answer from me is resounding YES. This speaker is incredible. I had goosebumps listening to my not even broken in NS5000.

I did not think I could find a speaker that was as good as my RAAL VM-1a tube amp and SR1a earphone. The NS5000 sounds a lot like the RAAL ribbon in the sense of coherence and my reaction to it is just like the SR1a.

Thanks to all that posted on this thread. It helped me make a great decision.
Awesome! So happy to hear you are enjoying your ns5000. They are very speakers that have this magical quality while still being very resolving.

Are you using the coda 16 with them right now?

I am currently using a pass 350.8 with mine but I am really looking for a warmer sound. I know pass is known to be warm but I think the X series is not as warm as I want. I may be moving to tube monoblocks. The CJ lp140m my friend let me borrow created some real magic with my ns5k !

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
When you come up for air tell us more. I'm a speaker junkie and a motorcycle junkie. It doesn't matter how much I'm enjoying what I have when a new product with potential comes out I want it. Perlisten s7t, Ducati SFv4s, gimme. The Ns5000, yes please. It wouldn't matter if I had a pair of $175K Estelon Forza's I'd still want the next headliner.

I have a hegel H360 and H590 and find the h360 a little warmer, just a tiny bit less control to let the bass bloom a little more. If you want to borrow it search shipping from 60188. On that note is California still doing those rolling blackouts and have you ever lost equipment to one?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
@steve59 I sent you a DM via WBF.

The rolling blackouts were potentially going to happen with the fires. However, the state managed to get people to lower electricity usage at peak times and the blackouts did not happen.

When Enron was around 22+ years ago my laptop blew up because of the problems with the electricity.

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
Awesome! So happy to hear you are enjoying your ns5000. They are very speakers that have this magical quality while still being very resolving.

Are you using the coda 16 with them right now?

I am currently using a pass 350.8 with mine but I am really looking for a warmer sound. I know pass is known to be warm but I think the X series is not as warm as I want. I may be moving to tube monoblocks. The CJ lp140m my friend let me borrow created some real magic with my ns5k !
I had a X350.8 for a few years and found its sonic character largely lacking. For pop & rock at elevated volumes it was decent, but with instrumentals and vocals it lacked detail, was grainy, and generally disappointing. I replaced it with their XA25 which while rated at only 25 wpc (8-ohm), it makes 50+ into 4 and Stereophile measured it at 130 into 2. The point it is that while it doesn’t have the complete punch of the 350, up to fairly high volumes its sonic character is fundamentally at another level entirely. Very transparent, far more musical and terrific with instrumentals/vocals. I also have a range of First Watt amps (SIT3, J2, & F8), which again up to fairly decent volume levels present a tube-like presentation absent too much warmth or mushiness with none of the tube-related fuss. At ~$3,500 and with strong resale, the XA25 is a real bargain as well.
Mine is paired w a Pass XP32 Pre, and Wilson Alexia 2 speakers and the XA25 drives them just fine in a large room (~7,500 cubic feet).

Reactions: steve59

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
After 100 hours on the NS5000 some things are starting to take shape. I do not get to sit in front of the system much (at the end of the year) but I do have it cranked up in the Livingroom and I mostly listen in the office. I do take some breaks to have a proper listen.

This speaker needs power. The stop gap modded PeachTree GAN1 was replaced by the following 3 pieces, Benchmark DAC3B | Benchmark LA4 preamp | CODA #16 amp. The office system that had the 3 pieces are moving to the NS5000 system. In my office, the Magnepan LRS+ was amazing with that gear. However, it did sound different from the NS5000.

The CODA #16 really brought out the bass in the NS5000. It is not bloated, just very tight and extremely impactful. Listening to John Bonheim smashing away on Zeppelin tunes was a revelation. I thought the RAAL CA-1a + VM-1a headphone amp was the only way to listen to hard rock, but the NS5000 beats that. I love the feeling of the sound waves hitting you. My fav speaker for bass was the original Revel Salon1 (I owned it). The NS5000 seems further in the quality department. Not only does it hit hard it just sounds so correct.

The NS5000 sounds like a musical instrument to me. It plays the music in a super clean, coherent, and impactful way, but there is also something with that sound that seems to have some additional richness or body to it. My Magnepan LRS+ does not have this extra richness. The LRS+ plays the music cleanly and beautifully. Not as impactful but surprisingly tough. However, the LRS+ sounds like a speaker, while the NS5000 makes me think of an instrument. Maybe not a good description, but there is something beautiful that is going on with the NS5000.

The coherence inherent in the design of the drivers is easy for me to hear. It sounds like the RAAL SR1a and CA-1a phones on the VM-1a headphone amp, my highest compliment. I did not think 2-channel could beat the RAALs but the NS5000 is now my top system.

The NS5000 does not place the instruments in the stage like the Blades, I don't think anything does, the placement is good. The quality of the drivers on the NS5000 is maybe the best I have ever heard. Not bright but detailed and fast.

At the end of this year, I will be getting a Playback Designs DAC. I am not sure if it will go with the NS5000 or Magnepan. Until then I will only have 1 DAC and it will be a rough 6 months.

For my office system, I am getting the following, Holo Serene preamp | 2 FM tuners | ??? DAC | Peachtree GAN400 (30-day home trial).

The PeachTree GAN1 unit is doing RAAL CA-1a headphone duty in the office. A killer combo.

Reactions: steve59

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I have a pair of Harbeth 40.2 speakers powered by a Vitus SIA-030 (can be either 60w Class A @ 4ohm or 400w AB @ 4ohm) and was considering getting a pair of these Yamaha speakers. But I was advised by an owner that the Vitus would not be provide enough current for the Yamaha speakers. He suggested that the resulting sound would lack bass.

My Harbeth speakers sound amazing and even better after further in-room adjustments than when I was more seriously considering the Yamaha speakers.

These are the only comparable measurements from the same publication that I could find and I'm not sure they definitively suggest the same thing that the owner of the Yamaha speakers wrote to me.

36C9D895-25CE-4AD8-BF99-562C3314B0AF.jpeg

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
My CODA #16 is 150 | 300 | 600 at 8 | 4 | 2. The first 100 watts at 8 are Class A. It has a lot of current and it perfectly suited for the NS5000. I definitely do not need more power.

I have a PeachTree GAN400 being delivered this Saturday and will test it out with the NS5000. I think it will be good. My Peachtree GAN1 with 200 watts at 8 and 4 Ohms was underpowered for the NS5000. The GAN400 is 400 watts at both 8 and 4 Ohms, just like your Vitus at 4 Ohm.

Note that Yamaha's M-5000 amp is 100 watts and not close to as powerful as my CODA#16.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I have a pair of Harbeth 40.2 speakers powered by a Vitus SIA-030 (can be either 60w Class A @ 4ohm or 400w AB @ 4ohm) and was considering getting a pair of these Yamaha speakers. But I was advised by an owner that the Vitus would not be provide enough current for the Yamaha speakers. He suggested that the resulting sound would lack bass.

My Harbeth speakers sound amazing and even better after further in-room adjustments than when I was more seriously considering the Yamaha speakers.

These are the only comparable measurements from the same publication that I could find and I'm not sure they definitively suggest the same thing that the owner of the Yamaha speakers wrote to me.

View attachment 111107

I doubt the vitus will have trouble driving the ns5k.

Reactions: RnRmf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing