Alexx V - Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Sorry, but who’s Austin, and how does he figure in a thread on a Wilson diode as opposed to a speaker? Did you mean to put this in another thread?
This is Jim Austin: https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexx-v-loudspeaker. you are right, it probably is the wrong spot (not the speaker review spot). I was only fascinated how the reviewers conclusies sentence could be do lukewarm… like it took Jim real effort to refrain from speaking his mind. If I were looking for a new, expensive loudspeaker, this review would keep this particular speaker from the shortlist.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
This is Jim Austin: https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexx-v-loudspeaker. you are right, it probably is the wrong spot (not the speaker review spot). I was only fascinated how the reviewers conclusies sentence could be do lukewarm… like it took Jim real effort to refrain from speaking his mind. If I were looking for a new, expensive loudspeaker, this review would keep this particular speaker from the shortlist.
Got it. I guess each person‘s taste can differ - sometimes quite markedly. However, I have heard this speaker numerous times in the same dealer room (along with other Wilson speakers). What I have consistently discovered is just how much using different electronics can be. The brutish power amps suffer badly while those with finesse serve the Wilson’s well. With the latest Audio Research and Spectral components you discover just such melodious combination. That’s proven the case up and down the line, with the XVX to the Sasha DAW.

Reactions: oldmustang and tima

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Got it. I guess each person‘s taste can differ - sometimes quite markedly. However, I have heard this speaker numerous times in the same dealer room (along with other Wilson speakers). What I have consistently discovered is just how much using different electronics can be. The brutish power amps suffer badly while those with finesse serve the Wilson’s well. With the latest Audio Research and Spectral components you discover just such melodious combination. That’s proven the case up and down the line, with the XVX to the Sasha DAW.
it is true, we all have preferences. My remark was more directed towards the review(er’s ambiguous position) than the speaker. Enjoy our mutual hobby, Steve:)!

Reactions: stevebythebay

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
The impression I have is that the few customers who’ve opted to install these are using the older and much larger speakers. I‘m guessing that the original Alexx may well benefit, etc. Personally, I’ll await an Alexia follow-on, as I’ve heard of no dealers chasing this opportunity. Considering the time and effort a dealer would require to put into installing and repositioning speakers with the updated diodes, I’m not surprised I’d not heard of anyone making such a change.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
The impression I have is that the few customers who’ve opted to install these are using the older and much larger speakers. I‘m guessing that the original Alexx may well benefit, etc. Personally, I’ll await an Alexia follow-on, as I’ve heard of no dealers chasing this opportunity. Considering the time and effort a dealer would require to put into installing and repositioning speakers with the updated diodes, I’m not surprised I’d not heard of anyone making such a change.
The Acoustic Diodes are being used on every current Wilson speaker save TuneTot. Since the release of Alexx V, Wilson has offered Acoustic Diodes as an upchsrge upgrade with a new Wilson speaker.

As for dealers, most have them on demo on more than Alexx V. By the end of this week, there is one dealer who will have Acoustic Diodes on every pair of Wilsons in their two locations..

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
The Acoustic Diodes are being used on every current Wilson speaker save TuneTot. Since the release of Alexx V, Wilson has offered Acoustic Diodes as an upchsrge upgrade with a new Wilson speaker.

As for dealers, most have them on demo on more than Alexx V. By the end of this week, there is one dealer who will have Acoustic Diodes on every pair of Wilsons in their two locations..
Would certainly be nice to hear from those customers who purchased Alexia, Sasha DAW, Yvette or SabrinaX and installed the new diodes thereafter on their experience. As for dealers installing these on their demo systems, I would expect that for the newest and largest ones. Though for those of us with existing speakers, it’s not likely any comparative experience is likely to emerge in dealerships.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Would certainly be nice to hear from those customers who purchased Alexia, Sasha DAW, Yvette or SabrinaX and installed the new diodes thereafter on their experience. As for dealers installing these on their demo systems, I would expect that for the newest and largest ones. Though for those of us with existing speakers, it’s not likely any comparative experience is likely to emerge in dealerships.
Your dealer won't compare in store or install a set on your Alexia 2 to buy if you find them to be a worthwhile improvement?

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I don't know about your experience with Wilson dealers but mine doesn't keep a pair of these around for comparison with different sets of diodes. And the time it takes to setup and differentiate a pair in comparable settings is not trivial. If you believe such a dealer exists let me know...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don't know about your experience with Wilson dealers but mine doesn't keep a pair of these around for comparison with different sets of diodes. And the time it takes to setup and differentiate a pair in comparable settings is not trivial. If you believe such a dealer exists let me know...

I have a funny feeling that Metaphacts knows a few Wilson dealers. :)

Given the opportunity, what other footers would you contrast to the WAS Acoustic Diodes?

Reactions: metaphacts

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve just received my Sasha DAW’s after a 5 month wait.
I obtained previous good results using the Gaia I feet under my Sasha 2’s which were retained to use on my new speakers.

My thinking was to get rid of the spikes (which the new diodes remain with the new material insert) so won’t be changing them in the immediate future. My speakers are used on a suspended timber floor, but may be a different outcome on a concrete slab.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

I have extensive experience with Wilson Audio dealers on a daily basis. I work for Wilson Audio.

Multiple dealers who do this exist. It's actually pretty common. As for the time it takes, I am well aware. I have installed the diodes on numerous speakers, at home and in the field. As long as the comparison is for actual purchase consideration and not just a desire to "hear the difference," the time is well spent by the dealer. Given how many new Wilsons below AlexxV are being ordered with Acoustic Diodes, it is safe to suggest that someone is listening.

At this point, WAMM, XVX, and AlexxV are delivered with the Acoustic Diode. Given Wilson's predilection for carrying technology forward into new designs, it's a safe bet that future Wilson speakers may well include Acoustic Diodes.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I have a funny feeling that Metaphacts knows a few Wilson dealers. :)

Given the opportunity, what other footers would you contrast to the WAS Acoustic Diodes?
Simply what I currently use - what was shipped/installed on my Alexia 2’s

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I have extensive experience with Wilson Audio dealers on a daily basis. I work for Wilson Audio.

Multiple dealers who do this exist. It's actually pretty common. As for the time it takes, I am well aware. I have installed the diodes on numerous speakers, at home and in the field. As long as the comparison is for actual purchase consideration and not just a desire to "hear the difference," the time is well spent by the dealer. Given how many new Wilsons below AlexxV are being ordered with Acoustic Diodes, it is safe to suggest that someone is listening.

At this point, WAMM, XVX, and AlexxV are delivered with the Acoustic Diode. Given Wilson's predilection for carrying technology forward into new designs, it's a safe bet that future Wilson speakers may well include Acoustic Diodes.
Thanks for your clarification. My own dealer had considered ordering the new diodes to put on an existing pair of Alexia 2’s but decided to wait for a new product to emerge this year.

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
Steve, did you decide to proceed with the purchase and installation of the Acoustic Diode spikes on your Alexia 2's?

I am curious about your impressions if you have done so. I will be taking delivery of Sasha DAWs in early December and want to make sure I give the speakers the opportunity to sound their best at installation.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Steve, did you decide to proceed with the purchase and installation of the Acoustic Diode spikes on your Alexia 2's?

I am curious about your impressions if you have done so. I will be taking delivery of Sasha DAWs in early December and want to make sure I give the speakers the opportunity to sound their best at installation.
Did not. In the absence of any user feedback, from anyone I know or can discover on the various forums or the web, for that matter, let alone the disinterest from my dealer, I've decided a purpose built Wilson future speaker is what I'll wait for. Have had enough opportunities of late to make other improvements to my system.

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
Steve, you comment frequently on the dCS forum (I post only infrequently, same avatar/different username), but I always appreciate your perspective and thoughts. And I definitely love the APEX upgrade to my Rossini/ ( w/ clock) and the analogue improvement. The acquisition of the Wilson DAWs will provide a new and different SQ to me, although I have been and will continue to be a fan of my YG Haley 2 loudspeakers (have had them for 6+ years) and intend to keep them. I am hoping my my Ypsilon Phaethon will pair great with the Wilson DAWs, I am looking forward to having the 2 separate systems in my home. And, for what its worth, I may opt for the Acoustic Diodes so I won't need to change later.

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Did not. In the absence of any user feedback, from anyone I know or can discover on the various forums or the web, for that matter, let alone the disinterest from my dealer, I've decided a purpose built Wilson future speaker is what I'll wait for. Have had enough opportunities of late to make other improvements to my system.
I seem to have found some positive reviews for the new Diodes. My dealer is very high on them as is Metaphacts. He may work for Wilson but has always given me unbiased and expert advice. I previously had Stillpoints under my Yvettes and was not impressed. I replaced them with larger Wilson diodes for some improvement. Both my dealer and Bill (metaphacts) tell me I’ll hear a nice improvement in clarity. Good enough for me… a set is on the way

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I seem to have found some positive reviews for the new Diodes. My dealer is very high on them as is Metaphacts. He may work for Wilson but has always given me unbiased and expert advice. I previously had Stillpoints under my Yvettes and was not impressed. I replaced them with larger Wilson diodes for some improvement. Both my dealer and Bill (metaphacts) tell me I’ll hear a nice improvement in clarity. Good enough for me… a set is on the way
If the diodes can be properly “tuned” or otherwise adjusted to the speaker’s weight and potential vibration transfer to/from the floor they should do the trick. Isolation is the name of the game. Best of luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing