Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow - Alexia is a tough load !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for posting the link. Now we must just wait until the measurement brigade reads the measurement section. ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for posting the link. Now we must just wait until the measurement brigade reads the measurement section. ;)

That brigade will probably never hear them any way, so any measurement opinions will be useless in the grand scheme of things...that is...musical listening enjoyment ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Micro the waiting is over :D
Big impedance dip to 1,8 ohms so you need a powerfull amp with currentdelivery to get full control /dynamics , and i am not so fond of the 6 db suck out at 4 khz , but i suspect(hope) thats because of the way they placed the mic , if not i wouldnt call it a neutral design
Regarding measurements, the review tells you also wilson aquired expensive vibration/acceleration bruell and kjaer measurementtools , why do you think is that , for fun , no because its an important way to check parameters and make future progress , loudspeaker development merely based on audiophile opinions wont get you very far
Besides that gorgious speaker , and excelent fit and finish

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Having read the Alexia review increased my resolve to successfully build my room to house my X2's and electronics because had it not been possible not only would I have switched to Alexias but I would have had to change my tube electronics as well and this was not something I was prepared to do. You won't find an SET amp driving Alexia's

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Having read the Alexia review increased my resolve to successfully build my room to house my X2's and electronics because had it not been possible not only would I have switched to Alexias but I would have had to change my tube electronics as well and this was not something I was prepared to do. You won't find an SET amp driving Alexia's

Only the serious audiophile architects their house around the need to accomodate tube amps.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I havent heard the alexia yet , but i probably would rather own the X 2 ,not only because of the easier load which is a big plus , but merely because the big wilsons have something extra i think , very fun speakers .
and owning the lamm topmodel i would wait a bit and swap for xlf s :D.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But..... , i suspect there will also be a maxx 3 version released with the new tweeter , were i a wilson shopper that would be the one i would buy .
Maxx 2 had more bass than X 2 at the times i heard it :confused:

Steve Williams

But..... , i suspect there will also be a maxx 3 version released with the new tweeter , were i a wilson shopper that would be the one i would buy .
Maxx 2 had more bass than X 2 at the times i heard it :confused:

It must have been the set up since I have owned both and I can tell you the bass is far better with the X2 than the MAXX

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard them in the same room(dealer showroom ) , x 2 driven by ayre s top series and maxx 2 driven by ml 32 /halcro .
It probably was the amplification then .

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Steve, I can tell you that the Alexia is no X2, or XLF. That is for sure.

Steve Williams

Nonetheless it is a wonderful speaker. I just really like my speakers and electronics and designed a room given the size constraints in dimensions with which I was working. The outcome was IMO nothing short of fantastic. If I couldn't I would have bought the Alexia but would have needed to switch amp/preamp and that was something I wasn't prepared to do.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nonetheless it is a wonderful speaker. I just really like my speakers and electronics and designed a room given the size constraints in dimensions with which I was working. The outcome was IMO nothing short of fantastic. If I couldn't I would have bought the Alexia but would have needed to switch amp/preamp and that was something I wasn't prepared to do.

The Alexia suffers by comparison that is all. And at the $48K price point there is MASSIVE competition.

Clearly, you are approaching SOTA with your Lamm/Wilson set up...I would be shocked if it indeed was nothing less than fantastic!:D

Steve Williams

The Alexia suffers by comparison that is all. And at the $48K price point there is MASSIVE competition.

Clearly, you are approaching SOTA with your Lamm/Wilson set up...I would be shocked if it indeed was nothing less than fantastic!:D

Well FWIW the Alexia has the tweeter that I lust after as well as some other XLF advances

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing