Air Tight PC-1 Supreme x Lyra Atlas x ZYZ Universe II x Clearaudio Goldfinder v2

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I sold my Atlas a while back. I was needing some $$'s for a new amp and the Atlas has some time on it...but plenty of life left.

I've been using my Allaerts MC2 Finish, which is a VERY nice cartridge ...compared to the Atlas, more beauty in the mids, more of a flow to the imaging...wider and deeper stage and just unravels things in a very appealing way. It doesn't not have the drive, image density, dynamics, and power of the Atlas. The Allaerts does have speed with bass depth and texture. Also with it's .2mv output a challenge for my phono stage. Net net, I miss the Lyra Atlas even with all the good things about the Allaerts (I suspect part of the is the Lyra output better synching up with my phono stage)

I did hear a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2 in my system for ~ 2weeeks. It's another GREAT cartridge. Has the beauty, unraveling ability, of the Allaerts. Beats the Atlas on resolution, really great wide and deep stage but with a focus of the instruments in it. Really interesting to listen to. But I still miss that power, foundation and majesty of the Lyra.

Part of this I suspect is I've owned Lyra's for about 15 years (lydian beta, helicon, Skala, Altas)...once your stuck on something it's harder to move.

If I had 2 arms, I'd keep the Allaerts. But moving back to a Lyra soon...

I have not heard a Air Tight in my system...one I've always been fond of in Peter and Alberts system...

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I sold my Atlas a while back. I was needing some $$'s for a new amp and the Atlas has some time on it...but plenty of life left.

I've been using my Allaerts MC2 Finish, which is a VERY nice cartridge ...compared to the Atlas, more beauty in the mids, more of a flow to the imaging...wider and deeper stage and just unravels things in a very appealing way. It doesn't not have the drive, image density, dynamics, and power of the Atlas. The Allaerts does have speed with bass depth and texture. Also with it's .2mv output a challenge for my phono stage. Net net, I miss the Lyra Atlas even with all the good things about the Allaerts (I suspect part of the is the Lyra output better synching up with my phono stage)

I did hear a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2 in my system for ~ 2weeeks. It's another GREAT cartridge. Has the beauty, unraveling ability, of the Allaerts. Beats the Atlas on resolution, really great wide and deep stage but with a focus of the instruments in it. Really interesting to listen to. But I still miss that power, foundation and majesty of the Lyra.

Part of this I suspect is I've owned Lyra's for about 15 years (lydian beta, helicon, Skala, Altas)...once your stuck on something it's harder to move.

If I had 2 arms, I'd keep the Allaerts. But moving back to a Lyra soon...

I have not heard a Air Tight in my system...one I've always been fond of in Peter and Alberts system...

It sounds like you are a Lyra man at heart.

The Air Tight PC3 is one of my favourites. Of the Lyra's if cost was no object, I would buy the Etna, which I prefer over the Atlas in the 2 systems I have heard it in. The Etna seems to retain the drive of the Atlas but introduce some favourable musicality. Would love to hear the PC1, which I am told is around 10-15% better than the PC3. Bang for buck, the PC3 is a cracker IMO. It really is a lovely cartridge.

I'm using a Delos now, and find it very synergistic with my arm ( Bauer dps) & phono (internal in Luxman 507ux). I'd love to try an Etna. But would happily own a PC3.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Lyra + Tubes = sonic & musical pleasure:D

add DD table for cream :cool:

different words for synergy

number95

May 14, 2014

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

number95

May 14, 2014
No advertisement - I shared so what you did not know!

That looks like a joke.

I stop following this thread from now on. I have so far respect for WTB forums due to quality of information and good moderation which filters out fan boys hyperboles and advertisers which is not compatible with this thread anymore.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That looks like a joke.

I stop following this thread from now on. I have so far respect for WTB forums due to quality of information and good moderation which filters out fan boys hyperboles and advertisers which is not compatible with this thread anymore.

Not only that, Ozzi's post is completely off topic and has nothing to do with the three cartridges in the title of the thread.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
DSC_1119.jpg DSC_0964.JPG

I think that now I'm on the subject!
I trust my eyes and my ears!
These are my personal observations and views This is my Analog collection of pickups:
AirTight PC-1,AirTight PC-3, Sensitive Sound Violet T-8, and I have something to compare.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing