Air Tight PC-1 Coda

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
In the April Stereophile Fremer says it is the best balanced PC-series cartridge to date. Looks like they’ll have to improve the Supreme.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the April Stereophile Fremer says it is the best balanced PC-series cartridge to date. Looks like they’ll have to improve the Supreme.

I read that, too, but I am not sure what Michael means by that. I know he likes the PC-1 Supreme.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael reports that the Coda takes Airtight in a slightly different direction:

I know that many people love Matsudaira cartridges, be they from Air Tight, My Sonic Lab, or TechDAS, and especially for the same reason that Lyra's discontinued Olympos cartridge has so many loyal fans: for their burnished, smooth, sophisticated—in a word, polite—upper octaves. But I insist on more sizzle with my steak.

The PC-1 coda combines the smoothness on top and in the mids that Air Tight fans love and expect, with some of the sizzle and air—that is, more sharply drawn and better-defined high-frequency transients—that you get with cartridges from Lyra, Ortofon, and some other brands.

PS: In my opinion one reason Michael is so helpful as a reviewer as a point of determinate sonic reference is because across components -- whether loudspeakers or phono stages or amplifiers or cartridges -- he consistently prefers one or two more clicks of "sizzle" than I personally like. Once you become familiar with, and get in tune with, Michael's reviews (and sometimes read between the lines a little bit) it is easy to triangulate on how you would feel about the sound of the component he is describing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickS

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
PS: In my opinion one reason Michael is so helpful as a reviewer as a point of determinate sonic reference is because across components -- whether loudspeakers or phono stages or amplifiers or cartridges -- he consistently prefers one or two more clicks of "sizzle" than I personally like. Once you become familiar with, and get in tune with, Michael's reviews (and sometimes read between the lines a little bit) it is easy to triangulate on how you would feel about the sound of the component he is describing.
IMHO/IME any cartridge described as smoother, mellower than Ortofon and Lyra (except atlas lambda) by him means they’re actually better. In this case AirTight, TechDas and MSL.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMHO/IME any cartridge described as smoother, mellower than Ortofon and Lyra (except atlas lambda) by him means they’re actually better. In this case AirTight, TechDas and MSL.

Better to your ears, yes. That happens to be my personal, subjective sonic view as well. But Michael and you and I simply are expressing our personal, subjective sonic preferences.

After reading Michael's review I personally would select a PC-1 or an Opus, and pass on the Coda.

Many other audiophiles love Lyras and Ortofons and van den Huls.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But Michael and you and I simply are expressing our personal, subjective sonic preferences.
You’re right I’m expressing my personal, subjective, honest opinion and I’m sure you’re doing the same but I’m not sure about the reviewers.

Many other audiophiles love Lyras and Ortofons and van den Huls.
many other audiophiles think they play safe by choosing the brands promoted by reviewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Ortofon and Audio Technica are very good cartridges, but, personally, I find this brands very cold with direct drive turntable like Technics.
Since I have Zyx Ultimate 4D, I prefer ZYX. I think it is very warm and accuracy. I agree with some people here. Reviewers find good words to say: you can buy this cartridges... they are excellent..but they are not given us the conditions it theirs tests : amplifier, preamplifier, CD Player, turntable, tonearm, and very important, what cables are used, loudspeakers, accessoiries like Nordost Kone or Stillpoint..the room... times to times we have the name of the vinyl or the CD....but there are many different recording for the same album....even for vinyl...

That's why I prefer listen the material before buying it .
The best is to test the product at home. No bad surprise.

That's why I prefer to know what the users prefer or hate, and know the system of this user... because a CD player can sound in my system and sound bad in another system. For example, cd player tested with transistor products is different to test it with tube's products.

That's I am thinking...

You can think not like me. It is your choice and I respect it.

Best regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing