Air Force One Set Up - tips n' tricks

mikem

Mar 11, 2014
From the manual of my Air Force Two:

Auto Power Off Mode
This is a function to prevent abrasion of the stylus. When this mode is activated, the turntable will automatically enter standby mode if the 33 1/3 button, 45 button or Stop button is not operated for one hour.

To Activate or Deactivate Auto Power Off Mode
Turn off the main power switch and then turn it on again while holding down the 45 button. Keep holding the 45 button until the opening message on the display blinks.

Could this be what is happening to you?

- Mike

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
From the manual of my Air Force Two:

Auto Power Off Mode
This is a function to prevent abrasion of the stylus. When this mode is activated, the turntable will automatically enter standby mode if the 33 1/3 button, 45 button or Stop button is not operated for one hour.

To Activate or Deactivate Auto Power Off Mode
Turn off the main power switch and then turn it on again while holding down the 45 button. Keep holding the 45 button until the opening message on the display blinks.

Could this be what is happening to you?

- Mike

This could very well be it. Thank you Mike.

The Premium comes with the auto off mode when left unplay for a while. Unplay probably meaning no buttons are pushed within certain time. But I dont know why it went to standby mode while I was playing. Maybe it's the firmware like David said.

Thanks guys,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This could very well be it. Thank you Mike.

The Premium comes with the auto off mode when left unplay for a while. Unplay probably meaning no buttons are pushed within certain time. But I dont know why it went to standby mode while I was playing. Maybe it's the firmware like David said.

Thanks guys,
Tang

There’s auto Stdby if the motor is off for some while but not when you’re playing or just pausing for a few minutes. Just the fact that you need to turn the main switch on and off to get it working again tells me that their processor crashed.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have a lot of kharma with my tts Steve :(. I dont want to say how many time I had issues with my Kronos, not just Techdas.

Tang
I remember extreme voltage fluctuations in Bangkok, is it still the same way Tang? If so AF1’s controller is quite sensitive and might be getting overloaded and shutting down, try a UPS or better still a clean power AC to AC regenator for all your tts.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I remember extreme voltage fluctuations in Bangkok, is it still the same way Tang? If so AF1’s controller is quite sensitive and might be getting overloaded and shutting down, try a UPS or better still a clean power AC to AC regenator for all your tts.

david

I actually never checked the voltage fluctuation. Have to investigate. I had problems with KRONOS SCPS1 power supply four times and no one seems to have problem like me. Now you really got me thinking David.

Tang

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
??? Is this a Premium thing because the standard AF1 never behaved this way Jack. It doesn’t any make any sense for TechDas to have this nonsense built-in and how does this feature protect the pumps? There’s only one active for float/vacuum system and this type of low pressure pump should last many years even running 24/7. This sounds like a firmware issue to me.

david

Those of us with the early firmware didn't have this :) That's why I accidentally burned my pump out. :(

Since I'm upgraded to the current firmware (and motor pulley), I have the auto stby function engaged. I suspect Tang's is a current AF1.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I actually never checked the voltage fluctuation. Have to investigate. I had problems with KRONOS SCPS1 power supply four times and no one seems to have problem like me. Now you really got me thinking David.

Tang

There is a local audiophile who became famous for killing all the equipment. The guy loved tweaking - fuses, better capacitors, better wire, no dealer want to risk dealing with with, thinking he was ruining equipment himself. Service people avoided working on his material, knowing it would soon return with complains that it was not properly repaired. One day he got an Exactpower power conditioner and never again he had problems ...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Those of us with the early firmware didn't have this :) That's why I accidentally burned my pump out. :(

Since I'm upgraded to the current firmware (and motor pulley), I have the auto stby function engaged. I suspect Tang's is a current AF1.
Wow, sometimes I run the AF1 continuously for 36-48 hours when breaking-in a cartridge or arm without any issues. I upgraded to the latest ps/firmware/pulley too and haven’t seen this function, so now the AF1 turns itself off in the middle of playing?

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
One day he got an Exactpower power conditioner and never again he had problems ...

I have lost a lot of money on powerconds. No matter how expensive they are, they took away the life of my system. I might consider something like whats Mike using...just to keep the voltage stable for the AS and hopefully it doesnt alter sound.

Thanks Micro,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have lost a lot of money on powerconds. No matter how expensive they are, they took away the life of my system. I might consider something like whats Mike using...just to keep the voltage stable for the AS and hopefully it doesnt alter sound.

Thanks Micro,
Tang

I have found in the past that the old PSAudio power conditioners - P300 and P600 were great for turntables. They were quite simple - the DC power supply, a quality sinusoidal oscillator feeding a linear amplifier and a step-up transformer. No fancy regulation, but very effective. In my case they were were particularly useful as they could generate 60 Hz and the air pumps were more efficient at 60 Hz than 50 Hz.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
so now the AF1 turns itself off in the middle of playing?

david

Yes sir. Quite a few times.

I have a video clip too :D.

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes sir. Quite a few times.

I have a video clip too :D.

Tang

You should consider that perhaps it is a reset of the controller due to mains power spikes or fluctuations. The ARC REF40 is particularly sensitive to them - sometimes it mutes if I switch a very powerful device.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Thanks Micro,
Tang
The motor doesn’t care what it’s connected to as long as it receives a clean stable power but the switching supplies of some regenerators and UPSs can affect the sound of your electronics so it’s best to put them on a separate circuit or ideally in a different room and run a long wire to your tts. Just get a good quality UPS that should take care of your tt’s electronics which seems to be your problem right now and contact TechDas if that doesn’t solve your problem. The regenerators are good if you’re having speed stability issues.

david

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
I have found in the past that the old PSAudio power conditioners - P300 and P600 were great for turntables. They were quite simple - the DC power supply, a quality sinusoidal oscillator feeding a linear amplifier and a step-up transformer. No fancy regulation, but very effective. In my case they were were particularly useful as they could generate 60 Hz and the air pumps were more efficient at 60 Hz than 50 Hz.

This comment on 60hz vs 50hz got me thinking about something else. Does your AF1 controller/power supply vibrate a bit? The control units of my AF1 and now AF1P both vibrates when i touch them. I am living in Hong Kong so it is 50Hz AC. For owners with 60Hz AC, does your controller vibrate? I think it is the pump inside. While there is very little noise, I just don't like things vibrating. Wondering if having regenerated 60Hz AC will help.....

Thanks

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This comment on 60hz vs 50hz got me thinking about something else. Does your AF1 controller/power supply vibrate a bit? The control units of my AF1 and now AF1P both vibrates when i touch them. I am living in Hong Kong so it is 50Hz AC. For owners with 60Hz AC, does your controller vibrate? I think it is the pump inside. While there is very little noise, I just don't like things vibrating. Wondering if having regenerated 60Hz AC will help.....

Thanks
The vibration is from the float pump which is in the same box Matt.
david

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
The vibration is from the float pump which is in the same box Matt.
david

Thanks David. That bit I get. I was more thinking will the suspension that floats the pumps be tuned to minimize vibration at 60Hz rather than 50Hz..... assuming the pump is running from AC rather than DC....

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Thanks

Thailand is 50Hz. There are two boxes. Yes one of them, the controller, vibrates as you said. Mine is AF1 Premium.

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks David. That bit I get. I was more thinking will the suspension that floats the pumps be tuned to minimize vibration at 60Hz rather than 50Hz..... assuming the pump is running from AC rather than DC....

Doesn’t make a difference which frequency that low level vibration will always be there, just the nature of the beast.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks

TechDas comes from Japan, where some regions have 50 Hz and others have 60Hz, so I think it has been taken in consideration by the designer. But the pump supplied with the Eminent Technology was much more silent and supplied an higher pressure at 60 Hz than at 50 Hz. Currently I drive the Forsell pumps at an even higher frequency with a custom AC adjustable frequency power supply - design courtesy of the classic Horowitz and Will "The Art of Electronics!.

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
TechDas comes from Japan, where some regions have 50 Hz and others have 60Hz, so I think it has been taken in consideration by the designer. But the pump supplied with the Eminent Technology was much more silent and supplied an higher pressure at 60 Hz than at 50 Hz. Currently I drive the Forsell pumps at an even higher frequency with a custom AC adjustable frequency power supply - design courtesy of the classic Horowitz and Will "The Art of Electronics!.

You are absolutely right! I totally forgot Japan has both 50 and 60Hz AC! Darn, my false hope of removing the vibration has been dashed :)

Now I wonder what would happen if we put the controller on active isolation :p Nevermind haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing