Aesthetix Io Users Group

Mike - consider, to get help - they are heavy, dont break your back. They are also quite deep, plan for shelf space in depth as well as width and height. As you probably know, they need some air at the top and the sides, and I would advice, be generous, if possible, let them breathe.

thank you. with new transformers, new caps, and new V1 and V2 tubes, my Io Eclipse will need some running in i imagine. good to get a feel for it from you. i will be patient (at least try :rolleyes:......not my strong suit).

right now i'm having to seriously figure out where to put those three boxes soon. before i just had to imagine it.
@Mike Lavigne

It is a roller coaster, pretty awful and pinched to at least 100 hrs then the bass comes in and actually continues to improve markedly until 400hrs.

Factory said they put on 100hrs. not sure... but for certain don't judge right away. I don't concern my self with burning out tubes during break in . Others might. I just let it rip. I use a reverse RIAA and run line level through it.

Have patience.

Mike - consider, to get help - they are heavy, dont break your back. They are also quite deep, plan for shelf space in depth as well as width and height. As you probably know, they need some air at the top and the sides, and I would advice, be generous, if possible, let them breathe.
building an extension on my barn for them.:eek:

just kidding.....and thanks for the advice. i will take my time, get help, and maybe leave the 2 power supplies on the floor to begin with. no hurry.

Good choice on just leaving the PS on the floor. I think they might have HRS footers if They are the latest build.

Do you have a dedicated outlet/line? I believe the PS pull close to 400 watts each. I am looking forward to your journey with the Io. It is a unique phono preamp.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Good choice on just leaving the PS on the floor. I think they might have HRS footers if They are the latest build.

Do you have a dedicated outlet/line? I believe the PS pull close to 400 watts each. I am looking forward to your journey with the Io. It is a unique phono preamp.
yes, i can provide dedicated lines for both PS's if need be. will play around to find the best set up.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
My impression: dedicated lines - yes. Better feet - yes maybe, depending.

Trying Cerapucs under the Io, now. First impression - no harm, compared to the stock feet. But not much improvement, either. Maybe a tiny bit better. This on a stone rack which is already very massive and stable. The HRS and Cerapucs are not the same of course, but my test might give a fair warning - the feet contribute only a little, they are not a big deal. I can test more, and If I find something revelatory I shall let you know.

Likewise - by the way - I now listen to the Io without the top cover. Easier when working with tubes, and even more cooling too. Does it sound different, than with the cover on? No, I cannot hear any meaningful difference. (Unlike some record players, where dismantling a hinged top cover can really make a difference).

If I remember right, a reviewer of the Io eclipse upgrade wrote that "partial upgrade" was good enough - that is, keeping the old chassis, since he heard no difference with the new chassis. This is also discussed here: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/aesthetix-io-signature-upgrade-path
Still recovering from recent back surgery, but had to chime in.

That was me who initiated that discussion way back when in Audiogon. It was great to get Albert Porter's response and detailed feedback as he was one of the few at the time who did the full Eclipse (Io and Callisto) with the six chassis configuration. I was "only" about 6-7 years into Io ownership at that time.

My most recent discussion with Aesthetix last year regarding the Eclipse upgrade was that the internal electronics; capacitors, resistors, and new power supplies provides the most significant upgrade in sound quality. Especially the power supplies being more efficient, with less heat, less vibrations, and mounted with materials to reduce any residual power supply vibrations. All that being said, the partial Eclipse is a slight bargain compared to the full Eclipse, which is all of the above, plus, the cosmetic changes in the external casing. If Albert Porter stated that the external chassis did not convey any considerable (note; considerable, not minute) change in performance, and with Aesthetix also telling me that the biggest gains in performance were the electronics, I felt inclined to do the "partial' Eclipse. I also happen to like the looks of the brushed face of the original Aesthetix Io; it is so MIL spec looking like older SAE, Soundcraftsman, ADCOM and Nakamichi, and old and new Atmasphere.

I know that the difference in trade-in values of used Io's in partial Eclipse or full Eclipse is not that great....ask me how I know:). The Alnic is a mighty contender to the Io, so there's that!

Mike...good listening. It will be a wild ride before all breaks in. I used a phono break in CD.

Ciao,

Audioquest4life

yes, i can provide dedicated lines for both PS's if need be. will play around to find the best set up.
I seriously doubt that dedicated circuits are needed for each power supply. Dedicated circuits help with large power amps since they can have large instantaneous current demand. Not so for a preamp level signal - their power draw is pretty constant. Dedicated circuits also help with keeping noise down, if implemented correctly. Putting both power supplies on one dedicated line would mean that they are all referenced to the same ground, which eliminates ground loops between the power supplies.

My 2 Io power supplies are on the same 20A dedicated circuit and an Audience power conditioner.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am in your area (Issaquah).

I seriously doubt that dedicated circuits are needed for each power supply. Dedicated circuits help with large power amps since they can have large instantaneous current demand. Not so for a preamp level signal - their power draw is pretty constant. Dedicated circuits also help with keeping noise down, if implemented correctly. Putting both power supplies on one dedicated line would mean that they are all referenced to the same ground, which eliminates ground loops between the power supplies.

My 2 Io power supplies are on the same 20A dedicated circuit and an Audience power conditioner.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am in your area (Issaquah).
yes, you are in my neighborhood for sure. i may call on you.

i have a "forgotten" unused dedicated (from my Equi=tech) 20 amp duplex outlet under my area rug behind my sofa. it's close to my rack and i plan on using that. when i originally designed the room i anticipated having a digital transport/dac sitting next to my listening position. so i had the outlet located there and a conduit to that location which i have not used since 2005. just tonight i remembered it.:)

what's interesting is where my listening position was back then compared to now; 8-9 feet forward. and my speakers are now slightly forward of where they started too. the room tuning has opened up lots of location possibilities.

fedex says Monday delivery......but likely Tuesday.

Last edited:
it seems my last few fedex deliveries have been adventures. no one wants to actually work anymore and the one's left working are maybe a bit harried. it will arrive when it arrives. it's how things are. i suppose we now appreciate more actually finding and getting stuff. nothing taken for granted. not such a bad thing. "social media driven" customer ultra entitlement somewhat blunted. "no soup for you"......a bit of fresh air. i'm ok with it.

1633433819731.png

Last edited:
as the final coup de gras today fedex delivered my 3 large boxes of Io Eclipse to the wrong address over a mile away. i was able to track it down and pick it up on my way home. hopefully none the worse for that final detour. i unpacked it and will allow it to come to room temp overnight, then dive in.
1633748063919.png1633748131023.png

as the final coup de gras today fedex delivered my 3 large boxes of Io Eclipse to the wrong address over a mile away. i was able to track it down and pick it up on my way home. hopefully none the worse for that final detour. i unpacked it and will allow it to come to room temp overnight, then dive in.
View attachment 82636View attachment 82637
Since it is all apart- might I suggest cleaning the connectors, sockets and tube pins before assembling it? It dramatically lowers the noise floor. If you have the time and patience.

Since it is all apart- might I suggest cleaning the connectors, sockets and tube pins before assembling it? It dramatically lowers the noise floor. If you have the time and patience.
i'm a tube amatuer. not sure i should be poking around cleaning tiny little holes. the probability of trouble is daunting.:eek:

Jim just finished a burn in and power cycle effort to make sure it's good, which i agree is not the same as cleaning those surfaces.

go ahead, talk me into it.:oops: i'd do it if i knew what i was doing.

I’m really excited to see how the Io settles into your system Mike. They are so much fun. Between the break in, tuning, cartridge loading and gain you should have lots to discover. Given your system the changes you will discover should be a joy.

i'm a tube amatuer. not sure i should be poking around cleaning tiny little holes. the probability of trouble is daunting.:eek:

Jim just finished a burn in and power cycle effort to make sure it's good, which i agree is not the same as cleaning those surfaces.

Well then, it might be interesting to listen to it as is …. And then clean it to determine if it makes an appreciable impression. It always improves things for me. I have an earlier post in the thread about what to use and how to proceed.

@Mike Lavigne if you want to keep it simpler for now.

Use a dampened Magic eraser pad dip your tubes into it 1-2 x and clean with a lint free cloth then 99% isopropyl alcohol and dry

If you want to get more out of it check out my post #321 in this thread for more tips. Old Vinyl has his methods too that are solid.

Nothing in the sockets in terms of enhancers and of course power off for 8hrs or more for the nervous types!

I will guarantee you that the difference will be transformational. It is a commitment on the Io -set aside a couple of hours minimum.

You will need to run in your updated unit for several hundred hours before passing judgement. It will be a mess before that.

Hope it offers you a perspective you will be pleased with.

about 90 minutes in............running my Etsuro Gold MC cartridge mounted on the Durand Tosca gimbal arm, LFD phono cable, on the Saskia model two idler. the Io Eclipse is running fully open, 80% volume on the pots, into the XLR input on the darTZeel preamp.

right now some Lee Morgan jazz, and i'm not noticing any noise or other niggles as far as glaring artifacts. no obvious noise issues. no hum. big, bold and authoritative sound. letting it open up, it's relaxing as i go along. a great starting spot.

@Mike Lavigne if you want to keep it simpler for now.

Use a dampened Magic eraser pad dip your tubes into it 1-2 x and clean with a lint free cloth then 99% isopropyl alcohol and dry

If you want to get more out of it check out my post #321 in this thread for more tips. Old Vinyl has his methods too that are solid.

Nothing in the sockets in terms of enhancers and of course power off for 8hrs or more for the nervous types!

I will guarantee you that the difference will be transformational. It is a commitment on the Io -set aside a couple of hours minimum.

You will need to run in your updated unit for several hundred hours before passing judgement. It will be a mess before that.

Hope it offers you a perspective you will be pleased with.
many thanks for the tips, and i will check out those posts.

before i bury the boxes in my racks i will try to get this done. i have some Magic Eraser on hand, need more 99% isopropyl alcohol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing