added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Personally I am thrilled that the owner of a famous and long established tube brand, BAT, is taking the time to share and provide knowledge to our community.

Best.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well, I asked you a direct question, on whether you have done such direct comparisons.

Your response was evasive at best. So I presume you don't have any experience with head preamps, but for some reason you dislike them.
No

My expirience is through tapes that were recorded with special( external ) tape pres .

(you have avantgarde horns if i understood corectly , i would never buy those either , different taste .)

I never said there could not be an improvement via playback through an external tape pre , big housing (more room for high quality caps etc )
Thats not the point
But the recording needs to be better done in the first place with such a device dont you think ??
If they cant even improve the recording why would i bother with buying a external pre

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No

My expirience is through tapes that were recorded with special external tape pre heads .

(you have avantgarde horns if i understood corectly , i would never buy those either , different taste .)

I never said there could not be an improvement via playback through an external tape pre , big housing (more room for high quality caps etc )
Thats not the point
But the recording needs to better done in the first place with such a device dont you think ??
If they cant even improve the recording why would i bother with buying a external pre

I don't see what the recording has to do with it. If you have a prerecorded tape you want to be able to play it back with the high fidelity (whatever that really means).

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Personally I am thrilled that the owner of a famous and long established tube brand, BAT, is taking the time to share and provide knowledge to our community.

Best.
Thank you for your kind words, but I am not the owner anymore... we sold the company to Music Direct several years ago, so the ownership belongs to Jim Davis, I remain in my previous capacity as chief designer.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Through those speakers of yours I doubt you will hear any difference if you had one.
And when you where at my place you said it sounded better then at the dealer , and the bass was better then rockports .

May be you said it just to be" friendly " lol which is also a possibility

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your kind words, but I am not the owner anymore... we sold the company to Music Direct several years ago, so the ownership belongs to Jim Davis, I remain in my previous capacity as chief designer.
Chief Designer even better :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And when you where at my place you said it sounded better then at the dealer , and the bass was better then rockports .

May be you said it just to be" friendly " lol which is also a possibility

Sorry, I don't rate rockports on bass. I never heard it at the dealer. It was awful but at that time thought I would give you gentle feedback, but your constantly being on threads and endless posting on topics where you don't have exposure, only speculation is frustrating. The endless posts you make destroy any fun the rest of us have in reading the thread. Please let Leif, Foxbat, dminches, Bill, Tang, Mike share their experience and learn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sorry, I don't rate rockports on bass. I never heard it at the dealer. It was awful but at that time thought I would give you gentle feedback, but your constantly being on threads and endless posting on topics where you don't have exposure, only speculation is frustrating. The endless posts you make destroy any fun the rest of us have in reading the thread. Please let Leif, Foxbat, dminches, Bill, Tang, Mike share their experience and learn.
And you as the guru , lol
I give my opnion , whether thats different or not doesnt matter , i actually bought a lot of the gear we are talking about , did you ??

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And you as the guru , lol
I give my opnion , whether thats different or not doesnt matter , i actually bought a lot of the gear we are talking about , did you ??
let's not ruin the thread with - i am done with you let the others talk

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I actually bought the SepeaAudio A80 direct out cards to get an impression of hooking up an outboard tape pre...
if intrigued I´ll go all out...straight from the heads...I´ve soldered on them before...much like soldering leads on an EMT TSD 15 cart

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
actually I should get them to make direct record cards as well.
then I could check out Charles idea we discussed at ETF in 2019: not decoding at repro and not coding at record ....save 2 steps and just decode in last playback instance

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Here listed some nice machines and Ampex too...

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
In the meantime I listen to Mosaic box with Bud Powell on mono DaVa/The Peak on Melco.......:cool:
tomorrow I´ll get a hip joint replacement, so now I´m sedating myself with good music and a few beers
Good luck with that replacement! I know several people who underwent it and they are all happy they did!

Of the thee major joint replacements this is the least traumatic.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In the meantime I listen to Mosaic box with Bud Powell on mono DaVa/The Peak on Melco.......:cool:
tomorrow I´ll get a hip joint replacement, so now I´m sedating myself with good music and a few beers
Hope your hip operation runs smooth as tape. Dont be so fast to boogie your hip right after. Take care sir.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my wife had a hip replacement 3 years ago and it really worked out well. within 4-5 months she was 90% and now 99% of where she was.

best wishes. the process is really well worked out now.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing