A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The circle of audio manufacturers in your area is impressive; any update about your listening sessions and any FM Acoustics experience would be appreciated! I'm near Seattle and in NYC occasionally allowing a listen at AA, "the Swiss embassy" (the angelic Goldmund 383 paired with Gmund dialogues is still playing in my second room). The CH L1 continues in its resounding mid bass authority on both Bach cantatas and Neil Young "Le Noise"...best,
FMA I heard in Warsaw 2014. Manuel Huber himself presented. It was the most impressive demo at the show that year. Why do they have to be so expensive!!! They sound heavenly, but for me completely unaffordable. Sigh.
The phono stage was most impressive, followed by the analog signal processing.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
erratum: older goldmund in my second room is the mimesis integrated 390, paired to goldmund dialogues with fm acoustics forcelines.
Trying out Schnerzinger wiring will check back soon,
Goldmund amps are outstanding...

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
Consider me a newbie to this line of products and the school of thinking behind them. For the last several years, I have been a disciple of what I've often heard characterized as the "music lovers" philosophy. To be clear, I'm talking about products such as Shindo, Leben, Devore, etc. There is a certain simplicity and listening ease associated with these products that is appealing. I recall one reviewer's description of a Leben amplifier as "beguiling." I think that's a great word to describe those products. They have a velvety soft, beguiling nature. They are easy to listen to. But now that I have switched to Zellaton Emotion speakers, I have found, in my opinion, that the strengths of these "music lovers" products are also their weaknesses. Don't get me wrong, I do not intend to disparage these products. I have enjoyed them for many years. But my experience with the Zellaton Emotions is analogous to switching from contacts to glasses (for those of you who wear contacts, you will know what I mean). While you are wearing the contacts, you think you see images clearly and crisply. Everything looks grand but when you switch out for your glasses, images are clearer, more accurate, and more defined. Zellatons are no different. I could use the kind of hyperbole commonly seen in reviews, terms like "gob smacked," "stunned," "in awe," but that's just talk. You really need to listen to these speakers. They have an energy that I have not heard before in any speaker. And a sense of immediacy and speed that, to my ear, sounds like live music. In fact, these speakers have completely changed my view on what "high-end" really is. Take a track like "Company" on Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" album. It is sparsely instrumented, just drums, bass, and her vocals. But that track brilliantly illustrates the strengths of these speakers. No one aspect of the sound outshines or outperforms any other, The cymbals sizzle, the vocals are well rounded with body, and the fingering of the base is clearly articulated. I get the impression that the only thing limiting the speakers is the amplification and front end. Presently, I am using a Musical Fidelity NuVista 800 integrated, but I will be upgrading. And speaking of upgrading, Gideon has been absolutely perfect to work with. He is as knowledgeable, if not more so, than any other distributor/dealer I've ever dealt with. Not just about his products, but various products on the market. He's prompt, courteous, and generous with his time. I will no doubt be upgrading from his product lines. He has a passion for them, and now I know why. Should you choose to buy the Zellaton speakers, or any of his other product lines, I suspect you will quickly learn as well.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Consider me a newbie to this line of products and the school of thinking behind them. For the last several years, I have been a disciple of what I've often heard characterized as the "music lovers" philosophy. To be clear, I'm talking about products such as Shindo, Leben, Devore, etc. There is a certain simplicity and listening ease associated with these products that is appealing. I recall one reviewer's description of a Leben amplifier as "beguiling." I think that's a great word to describe those products. They have a velvety soft, beguiling nature. They are easy to listen to. But now that I have switched to Zellaton Emotion speakers, I have found, in my opinion, that the strengths of these "music lovers" products are also their weaknesses. Don't get me wrong, I do not intend to disparage these products. I have enjoyed them for many years. But my experience with the Zellaton Emotions is analogous to switching from contacts to glasses (for those of you who wear contacts, you will know what I mean). While you are wearing the contacts, you think you see images clearly and crisply. Everything looks grand but when you switch out for your glasses, images are clearer, more accurate, and more defined. Zellatons are no different. I could use the kind of hyperbole commonly seen in reviews, terms like "gob smacked," "stunned," "in awe," but that's just talk. You really need to listen to these speakers. They have an energy that I have not heard before in any speaker. And a sense of immediacy and speed that, to my ear, sounds like live music. In fact, these speakers have completely changed my view on what "high-end" really is. Take a track like "Company" on Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" album. It is sparsely instrumented, just drums, bass, and her vocals. But that track brilliantly illustrates the strengths of these speakers. No one aspect of the sound outshines or outperforms any other, The cymbals sizzle, the vocals are well rounded with body, and the fingering of the base is clearly articulated. I get the impression that the only thing limiting the speakers is the amplification and front end. Presently, I am using a Musical Fidelity NuVista 800 integrated, but I will be upgrading. And speaking of upgrading, Gideon has been absolutely perfect to work with. He is as knowledgeable, if not more so, than any other distributor/dealer I've ever dealt with. Not just about his products, but various products on the market. He's prompt, courteous, and generous with his time. I will no doubt be upgrading from his product lines. He has a passion for them, and now I know why. Should you choose to buy the Zellaton speakers, or any of his other product lines, I suspect you will quickly learn as well.
Thanks for adding your experiences with Zellaton speakers. I've not heard the Emotion but have heard the Stage and the Legacy at AudioArts. I really enjoyed the Stage and they continue to grow on me with each listening session. The Legacy is one of the best small speakers I've ever heard. AudioArts carry an impressive selection of electronics to pair with your new speakers so please keep us informed of any future upgrades. Yes, Gideon is great to work with.

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
Yes, I am happy to continue to update the forum. My upgrading will likely take place slowly over time, so the posts may not be frequent, but I will post when I have something to say.

The following isn't so much of update as a few thoughts that occurred to me as I was listening to them this past weekend.

These speakers demand your attention. If you are listening to them as background music, it won't be long before you find your listening chair. They make you want to listen to the music to the detriment of everything else. If I've got a drink out of my reach, I don't even want to move to have to get the drink. Sometimes, I'm afraid to fire them up because I will not want to shut them down. They are seriously that good.

One of the best things I can say about these speakers is that they make you want to move. Move, like you do at a concert. With other speakers, I have generally sat still, stoically listening for "audiophile" stuff. With these speakers, I don't stop moving. Funny thing is, I never even noticed that until it started happening.

And, finally, an observation. I have not tinkered with placement of the speakers sense plopping them on the floor and firing them up. I put them about where I would put any speakers to begin with, and I I have a pretty good idea of the kinds of adjustments that might be needed if I wanted more bass, for example, or a broader soundstage. But I haven't had any desire to do so.

More to come.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
One of the best things I can say about these speakers is that they make you want to move. Move, like you do at a concert. With other speakers, I have generally sat still, stoically listening for "audiophile" stuff. With these speakers, I don't stop moving. Funny thing is, I never even noticed that until it started happening.

And, finally, an observation. I have not tinkered with placement of the speakers sense plopping them on the floor and firing them up. I put them about where I would put any speakers to begin with, and I I have a pretty good idea of the kinds of adjustments that might be needed if I wanted more bass, for example, or a broader soundstage. But I haven't had any desire to do so.

More to come.
Yep. These are the markers for the sound getting into the "zone" - nice one ... :cool:.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Congrats on the zell emotions Sterling.
I have not heard the emotions but have heard the Studio One paired with Nagra and a Schopper thorens table at RMAF in 2012, the Grand with CH Precision at RMAF in 2013, and the Stage at Audioarts in NYC. The engaging presence and clarity of the Zellaton are what i find amazing. Quite distinct from the Wilson Benesch, Sonus Faber and Verity speakers i have used in my system.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Stenheim's Alumine 5 is due in at Audio Arts in a week or so according to Gideon. These were prototyped with Nagra Classic amps and launched officially at the Munich show. I'm hoping to get to NYC to hear them paired with the CH Precision P1 phono stage. Anyone heard them yet? Impressions? Pretty easy to drive with a rating in the mid-90s.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao Chris,

i listen Alumine 5 in Munich in may.
This is one of the best speaker i listen in Munich and i like a lot.
Sound is very natural,neutral,open and sweet with good low.Absolutly to listen.
Amp were Audio Consulting from Swiss,also very good amp .

I also listen in Munich Stenheim Reference Statement,very good but i cannot give a judgment because they put strange music that i don't know.

I know you have L1,try to test P1 in your system.
I also have L1 and i tried P1 against my Kondo GE1 with trans Silverware mc pro,and P1 was better in every parameter.
Also i tried P1 with X1 and the sound was much better,more relaxed,open,with more dynamic and space between instrument.

Ciao
Gianluigi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same here, I thought the smaller Stenheims, along with the hoRNS universum were the two most impressive set ups in Munich. Given the Stenheim Alumine 5 is 95db and 8ohm, voicing it with various SET valves should be possible. What speed, bass and dynamics and large sound for such a small speaker in a corner.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks for your impressions Gianluigi and Bonzo75. Gideon had a hand in the design / voicing of the Alumine 5. Apparently, they use proprietary drivers from France. I've heard the Alumine 3 (second version) with Nagra VPA. The Alumine 5 is even higher sensitivity so will likely sound amazing with various tube amps. I'm hoping to get to listen in NYC in Oct.

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com
FMA I heard in Warsaw 2014. Manuel Huber himself presented. It was the most impressive demo at the show that year. Why do they have to be so expensive!!! They sound heavenly, but for me completely unaffordable. Sigh.
The phono stage was most impressive, followed by the analog signal processing.

well, here in the us that 711 II and 255 II combo will set you back well over 100k usd!

fm has always been expensive but not nearly to the extent that is now...as a former fm owner, i know. the 244/611 combo + cables ran me roughly 30k back in 1993.

oh well, what are gonna do, man! lol there's not much we can do, really.

i mean absolutely amazing equipment, but too tough with that price! lol.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
All, an exciting update: I am going to get the chance to audition a CH Precision L1 in my system shortly! Several members have reported that adding an L1 to their systems and using the C1 only as a DAC yielded a significant improvement. I will report on my findings. I will also get the chance to hear an L1/P1 combination in a good friends system this weekend and we will be auditioning an FM 266 pre-amp as well! Very interesting. I will provide a report shortly. Many thanks to Gideon of AudioArts for helping us organize these evaluations.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All, an exciting update: I am going to get the chance to audition a CH Precision L1 in my system shortly! Several members have reported that adding an L1 to their systems and using the C1 only as a DAC yielded a significant improvement. I will report on my findings. I will also get the chance to hear an L1/P1 combination in a good friends system this weekend and we will be auditioning an FM 266 pre-amp as well! Very interesting. I will provide a report shortly. Many thanks to Gideon of AudioArts for helping us organize these evaluations.

I have used the C1 alone and also with an L1. I concur that I prefer the C1 at 0dB with the L1 particularly at lower listening levels where the C1 volume control begins to shave bits. Since I am a heavy LP user, an all analog signal path is psychologically more assuring to me albeit CH's ADC among others such as Lyngdorf's are IMO more than transparent enough.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have used the C1 alone and also with an L1. I concur that I prefer the C1 at 0dB with the L1 particularly at lower listening levels where the C1 volume control begins to shave bits. Since I am a heavy LP user, an all analog signal path is psychologically more assuring to me albeit CH's ADC among others such as Lyngdorf's are IMO more than transparent enough.

I am considering adding the X1 to my C1, also mentioned in another CH thread. Have you JackD201 any experience with the X!?

JP

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes I have 2 X1 double boards. One feeds a D1 and C1 the other an L1 and awaiting a P1. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing