A small upgrade in speakers... The CLXArt a true masterpiece!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
One more for the road!

I was just thinking about a certain comment made from that person who highly condemned the CLX's and my particular setup, along with the room and his other numerous negative comments, just thinking about one other comment made that the CLX's have " limitations..."

Well, now that the CJ monoblocks are really beginning to open up, especially after the SE upgrades, all I can say is whatever the "limitations " are is only limited to the recording, nothing else!

With these fine full range stats, basically what goes in comes out! As simple as that. I also believe that these have to be partnered with high quality gear, the better the resolution and transparency of component matching, the more naturalness of tonality you will be rewarded with, absolutely superb!

Whiles my CJ's were away during that 3 month period, I used very top end amplifiers on loan. From Boulder, Dartzeel, Vitus, Gryphon, Momentum, and CJ's very own MF2550SE. These SS amps just controlled and lifted the performance in a class of their own. In my opinion, there was no comparison at all with any of the amplifiers I've auditioned on other panels, including those very large multi-panel types. They can only be equalled or surpassed by their very own brands as the quality and performance of gear rises... such as Relentless, Progression, Boulders top of the line, Gryphon monoblocks, VAL's, VAC monoblocks, CJ's ART300's and so on. That's the level I'm talking about.

It's an absolute joy to hear these differences and learn from the experiences, rather than being cooped up in a music room all your life... like those so called experts who read all the reviews thinking they own the best. They need to venture out and learn from new systems and varied setups, then gather that knowledge and appreciate what others have achieved, rather than cast negative comments. Pathetic!

For considering component upgrades, although source gear, and cable accessories do make a difference, I strongly believe that the amplifiers are the main reasons for overall system performance. Once you get that right then everything else falls into place nicely. It's not necessary to spend a fortune to get highly quality recorded playback. Careful system matching and wise expenditure will get you there but it's a journey. It's also an art form.

Cheers to those systems that are giving you the greatest joy and satisfaction, and most of all the sheer pleasure of great music.
Enjoy those fine tunes! Woofty woof!
RJ
I don’t believe you tried any of those amps out as you always show pictures of it. where are the pictures?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
No chance Gary, not even close.
The presentation you heard last was long gone.

It's a 40% improvement by a good margin, could be even more, and this time I had a very good professional team to help out, so to be honest, I did take your advice in good stride.

Why I brought the point up again was, just recently one of those chaps asked me what was wrong with it in the first place. I told him about your experience and showed the team your comments, they all had a good laugh!

Like they said, the limitations are only on the recording. Nothing else pretty much. Of course it's not going to reproduce very low bass notes, they were not designed for that purpose. In which case the Neoliths are preferred.

BTW, I don't take comments from uneducated school drop outs seriously. I prefer opinions from people who are slightly more educated and well informed. You're not the ultimate authority on highend audio nor hifi . The only one reason why I thought about it was because you've helped in the past, and I do appreciate that. That's about it though.

Oh! And yes I did see a psychologist, not a psychiatric, he said to stay away from you! What goes in comes out, pretty much the same with all your comments. I'm actually surprised you managed to spell that word. Good on ya mate, a 40% improvement.
The Mac bus is still waiting...

Cheers matey, have a blast.
RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
No chance Gary, not even close.
The presentation you heard last was long gone.

It's a 40% improvement by a good margin, could be even more, and this time I had a very good professional team to help out, so to be honest, I did take your advice in good stride.

Why I brought the point up again was, just recently one of those chaps asked me what was wrong with it in the first place. I told him about your experience and showed the team your comments, they all had a good laugh!

Like they said, the limitations are only on the recording. Nothing else pretty much. Of course it's not going to reproduce very low bass notes, they were not designed for that purpose. In which case the Neoliths are preferred.

BTW, I don't take comments from uneducated school drop outs seriously. I prefer opinions from people who are slightly more educated and well informed. You're not the ultimate authority on highend audio nor hifi . The only one reason why I thought about it was because you've helped in the past, and I do appreciate that. That's about it though.

Oh! And yes I did see a psychologist, not a psychiatric, he said to stay away from you! What goes in comes out, pretty much the same with all your comments. I'm actually surprised you managed to spell that word. Good on ya mate, a 40% improvement.
The Mac bus is still waiting...

Cheers matey, have a blast.
RJ
40% improvement I don’t think so not even 1% in the kitchen where your hifi is.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Pics not allowed, no way hosay! The dealer doesn't want that trust to be broken. The only pic I could post was the CJ SS amp. Pics from my earlier travels to Spore and demos on the Statements, Relentless and so on, same deal. These are prime importers and will not tolerate nor accept pics to be posted on a public forum. But, I do have them on my phone! Plus the team as well, we're all looking great, especially after a few reds!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Don't worry about how my kitchen system sounds Gary, that's about all you can pick on at this stage. Like I said, school drop out, can't expect anything more meaningful...

What you have is good enough, just embrace it and enjoy to the fullest. BTW, Revox was a great brand back then, to think of it. Nice one.
Cheers, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Don't worry about how my kitchen system sounds Gary, that's about all you can pick on at this stage. Like I said, school drop out, can't expect anything more meaningful...

What you have is good enough, just embrace it and enjoy to the fullest. BTW, Revox was a great brand back then, to think of it. Nice one.
Cheers, RJ
Yes thanks it’s a really nice sounding player. I use it with my vintage akg k340 headphones only.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, I understand about the pics, and the importance of showing the gear...

The major issue/s is there are a lot of scammers around. So what they do is take those very same pics of your gear, plus the serial numbers if possible. Then try to sell them online, collect the money and they're gone!

The dealers and importers are absolutely fed up with them, as the cops can't do much either. So I guess you need to be extra careful of what you post, I bet there are a few scammers looking at this right now, who knows!

Cheers mate, take care.
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Attn: to other CLX owners (passionate & enthusiastic owners)

Further mention on being "limited in performance" and due to such issues ML has decided to discontinue the CLX line... is not the case at all! Just call them up and speak with either Chief design team or Joe Vojtko himself, the main issues are cost and maintenance of such a highly hand crafted line of stats. The pricing will go up further, hence the Neoliths or the Ren15a's are an alternaive choice for such high end stats. Therefore, just like the CLS, and Statements, ML will continue to support owners for parts and service but not on new productions. They have managed to sell all their CLX inventory, with custom orders still pending, so that's that!

This is coming from them, not some chap who resides in Melb million miles away and has personal opinions of ML, it doesn't validate the facts. That's just speculation...

Cheers to the passionate owners of CLX's, they're in a class of their own.
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Attn: to other CLX owners (passionate & enthusiastic owners)

Further mention on being "limited in performance" and due to such issues ML has decided to discontinue the CLX line... is not the case at all! Just call them up and speak with either Chief design team or Joe Vojtko himself, the main issues are cost and maintenance of such a highly hand crafted line of stats. The pricing will go up further, hence the Neoliths or the Ren15a's are an alternaive choice for such high end stats. Therefore, just like the CLS, and Statements, ML will continue to support owners for parts and service but not on new productions. They have managed to sell all their CLX inventory, with custom orders still pending, so that's that!

This is coming from them, not some chap who resides in Melb million miles away and has personal opinions of ML, it doesn't validate the facts. That's just speculation...

Cheers to the passionate owners of CLX's, they're in a class of their own.
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ
I’m glad you find them so special.i find my horns to be my reference.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, that's a definite. I can certainly second that since I've heard them! Triple stacked Klipsch horns offer pretty serious dynamics and serious slam, it has the "stage affect."

I've heard many other lofty systems putting out the same level of dynamics and power with force but costs a price tag similar to a house!
Triple stacked horns are definitely something special, no doubt. Well done on that G-man.

However, I have a few minor areas where they don't meet my expectations: inner detail, resolution and transparency, soundstage depth and imaging, unlike fine panels or other dynamic driver types, which have all these attributes.

I'm not quite sure what type of "reference quality" you're referring to. To me it's just a massive kaboom! However, having said that, who am I to judge. Like I've always said, if you're enjoying it to the fullest, that's all that really matters.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine horns.
RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Yes, that's a definite. I can certainly second that since I've heard them! Triple stacked Klipsch horns offer pretty serious dynamics and serious slam, it has the "stage affect."

I've heard many other lofty systems putting out the same level of dynamics and power with force but costs a price tag similar to a house!
Triple stacked horns are definitely something special, no doubt. Well done on that G-man.

However, I have a few minor areas where they don't meet my expectations: inner detail, resolution and transparency, soundstage depth and imaging, unlike fine panels or other dynamic driver types, which have all these attributes.

I'm not quite sure what type of "reference quality" you're referring to. To me it's just a massive kaboom! However, having said that, who am I to judge. Like I've always said, if you're enjoying it to the fullest, that's all that really matters.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine horns.
RJ
I agree and that’s where the 30.7 come in. They do what the horns cart do.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Roger that! Nice one G-man, you've got the best of both worlds, fine ribbons and mighty horns.

The 30.7's are well capable of serious wallop as well when called for. The main obstacles are controlling those huge double bass panels and controlling the mids&highs panel to perform in sync. It's upto the power amplifiers to perform the task. Otherwise it can sound dis-jointed, as if listening to two different speakers at once.

Three critical factors I've found that are a must:
1. current loading
2 current capability
3. current stability
Unfortunately quite a number of high powered amplifiers can't quite deliver that last point.

I love the ribbon bass, I think it has very good density and agility, once controlled well, the tightness and speed is fantastic! That's why the CLX design team included the triple stator for the first time on a stat design. However, similar to difficult loads, it has a notorious impedence swing. This swing can happen with lightning speed in an instant, hence quite a lot of amplifiers run out of steam...

There's another power amplifier that I haven't tried in a while. It's a SS design made in NZ called Plinius. They're mighty big on current capacity and very similar to Pass Labs. I'm just trying to see if I can get one on trial, just to experience something different.

The person who had ordered the balanced force subs for his CLX's is now considering the Pass Labs amps but would like to try out the Plinius before deciding. I reckon it will be a very close call.

Cheers, have a good one.
RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Roger that! Nice one G-man, you've got the best of both worlds, fine ribbons and mighty horns.

The 30.7's are well capable of serious wallop as well when called for. The main obstacles are controlling those huge double bass panels and controlling the mids&highs panel to perform in sync. It's upto the power amplifiers to perform the task. Otherwise it can sound dis-jointed, as if listening to two different speakers at once.

Three critical factors I've found that are a must:
1. current loading
2 current capability
3. current stability
Unfortunately quite a number of high powered amplifiers can't quite deliver that last point.

I love the ribbon bass, I think it has very good density and agility, once controlled well, the tightness and speed is fantastic! That's why the CLX design team included the triple stator for the first time on a stat design. However, similar to difficult loads, it has a notorious impedence swing. This swing can happen with lightning speed in an instant, hence quite a lot of amplifiers run out of steam...

There's another power amplifier that I haven't tried in a while. It's a SS design made in NZ called Plinius. They're mighty big on current capacity and very similar to Pass Labs. I'm just trying to see if I can get one on trial, just to experience something different.

The person who had ordered the balanced force subs for his CLX's is now considering the Pass Labs amps but would like to try out the Plinius before deciding. I reckon it will be a very close call.

Cheers, have a good one.
RJ
Yes I believe I have as I listen to all types of music and I haven’t heard anything that can do it all

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
I love the ribbon bass, I think it has very good density and agility, once controlled well, the tightness and speed is fantastic! . . .

Hi RJ!

Are you writing here about magnetic planar bass on Magnepans or about ribbon bass on Apogees?

WOOF WOOF!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Ron,

Yes, I was referring to ribbon bass on Apogee's, Gryphon Pendragon, Genesis Dragons and similar. When I had those mighty Diva's, that bass was one of kind. I do hear a certain percentage of that in the 30.7's, especially when driven by the Relentless amplifiers. Although pretty impressive, I would say the LF detail on the Statements driven by with the Relentless or Progression amplifiers with the Momentum preamp was just superlative!

Since I own CLX's, obviously this type of LF is very different. I'm certainly loving it, every aspect of its inner detail, lightening speed and agility, however it takes some time getting used to.

Just recently I heard a beautiful pair of Apo Duetta sigs fully refurbed, I really liked those! They were driven with the Plinius amps I'm talking about. Absolutely outstanding!
Graz is a legend, has the knowledge and skills to fully restore these ribbons and make them perform way beyond any ribbon commercially available today from mass market producers.

I will at one point get a pair of refurbed Duetta's but I'm thinking of driving them with SS amps, not tubes. This will most probably be when I can no longer attend to the maintenance of tubes and stats. Something like a retirement system.

Cheers Ron,
Loud woof'n!
RJ

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was comparing the CLX directly to the Statement E2 system when i commented on their sound. The CLX gets a little thin sounding at higher levels, and even 2 dept subwoofers did not sufficiently correct the issue, i prefer them without.(...) :)

What are calling high levels? Rock music levels? When I had the old MBL101c's I found that I had to play everything at around 3-4 dB louder than with other speakers - I gave up on them as at that time I had neighbors and could not give justice to them!

Pure electrostatic speakers will always have loudness limitations - it is part of the physics of the electrostatic electrical field, they can not compete on this aspect with box speakers or horns. But as Peter Walker once said about the ESL 63, "they play loud enough for 95% of our consumers".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing