A small upgrade in speakers... The CLXArt a true masterpiece!

I am glad brad that your a happy clx owner.and I would also bet you have them properly set up to get the best out of them. I know they can sound phenomenal when set up right.
You received a response you didn't care for due to your down grade of others audio choices.
Please don't be offended but how does your disability make the Mac turntable a better product for you?

Yes, I am a happy owner of CLX's

Regards Brad
I build 2 very different systems because I listen to all types of music and I couldn’t find a speaker at any price that made me happy for all types of music..there’s not many serious audiophiles like me in Australia.i bet in the us and other countries.there’s plenty.

Last edited:
I build my house around my music room first.other people I know have there systems in the kitchen and it sounds terrible. If I tell them an argument will break out , so I just don’t see these people anymore.there not audiophiles to me. Believe me brad you would laugh.I have 2 friends only that are like me and really know good sound.

It’s ok I understand.other people can say what they think but I cart because I have a disability.no worries I am used to this treatment.

I was in no way making mock of 'you' and or your disability. Please don't take it that way, just a rebuttal to your comment about the CLX's and pointing to your avatar(Mac TT). FWIW and IMO their new CD spinner is even more homely !

Yes, valid points on the room layout and its importance, no doubt. After the criticism was made, plus the comments, as I stated before, I took his comments in good faith and addressed the issues with a team of people who understand open plan living rooms, and how it would interact with normal speakers. Then addressed the challenges faced with dipoles and their positive attributes, taking into consideration the near field listening approach, which worked wonders!

Overall, we managed to establish a listening position of 9ft away, with a width of 7ft apart for the CLX's. A few more adjustments made on the angle inwards, back wall distance, reducing the rake angle as well on theCLX's, and setting the internal bass switches back to normal.

This was all adjusted over a period of 3 days without the monoblocks, rather it was the big SS amp MF2550SE. Whiles it was easier to assess and adjust, turning on & off repeatedly for fine tuning to address the bass switches, now the monoblocks are back! With these in place, the improvements went up several notches further, and I'm overwhelmed by the significant changes it has brought. Not only is the depth in soundstage superb but also that purity in the 3D holographic imaging was what I was after, within this 9ft triangle sort of setup. The level of improvement is an outstanding margin of resolution for which every minute detail is very well presented.

The balance is right, although initially there were some room modes in the LF regarding the right channel, since it was closer towards a more open space, rather than compared to the left channel. This was also addressed by careful placement and further tweaking, what we didn't want was over-blown bass or diffused bass...

With regards to installing systems in the kitchen, and once again addressing this for the 100th time, since that person seems to have a comprehension problem...

I have always had our personal reference systems installed in living rooms, regardless of what that space may be. The purpose is to enjoy it during all times, entertaining guests, get togethers with fellow music lovers, and sitting around with good mates and enjoying "the music."

If I was planning to sell the gear, then I would have this set up in a dedicated room, where I would solely focus on a proper demo in order to close a sale. This I/we used to do during our dealership years but now I've sold that business since 2004 and moved on. Therefore, my systems will always be installed in our living area for all family members to enjoy, not a one person type of installation... I'm not interested in such a setup. So with that said, I sincerely hope and believe these points get across to the very person who continues to cast comments regardless of me trying my best to explain things.

And, yes the overall presentation is very realistic, as it should be. Couldn't be more pleased with the level of transparency and finer detail, especially that midrange, there's nothing quite like it when it's dialed in right.

On this Wed, two chaps are arriving from a reputed electrical company who also understand normal electrical works in line with high end audio gear. So, the purpose of this visit is to further isolate the front end from the monoblocks, dedicated wiring for the amplifiers and set up on separate CB's to the mains board. Good stuff, as this will further eliminate any unwanted hum, RFI pick up, static and pops, which do happen once in a while, where we may not notice simply because we're too caught up in the fine tunes!

It's always a great learning curve, and I've certainly embraced all comments with much positivity as possible. Sometimes it's definitely frustrating when that one person doesn't seem to get nor even wants to try to understand what the rationale behind is. Anyway, I've done my best trying to explain.

Cheers to all, and most of all, enjoy those fine tunes! Big woof! RJ

Reactions: brad225
Yes, valid points on the room layout and its importance, no doubt. After the criticism was made, plus the comments, as I stated before, I took his comments in good faith and addressed the issues with a team of people who understand open plan living rooms, and how it would interact with normal speakers. Then addressed the challenges faced with dipoles and their positive attributes, taking into consideration the near field listening approach, which worked wonders!

Overall, we managed to establish a listening position of 9ft away, with a width of 7ft apart for the CLX's. A few more adjustments made on the angle inwards, back wall distance, reducing the rake angle as well on theCLX's, and setting the internal bass switches back to normal.

This was all adjusted over a period of 3 days without the monoblocks, rather it was the big SS amp MF2550SE. Whiles it was easier to assess and adjust, turning on & off repeatedly for fine tuning to address the bass switches, now the monoblocks are back! With these in place, the improvements went up several notches further, and I'm overwhelmed by the significant changes it has brought. Not only is the depth in soundstage superb but also that purity in the 3D holographic imaging was what I was after, within this 9ft triangle sort of setup. The level of improvement is an outstanding margin of resolution for which every minute detail is very well presented.

The balance is right, although initially there were some room modes in the LF regarding the right channel, since it was closer towards a more open space, rather than compared to the left channel. This was also addressed by careful placement and further tweaking, what we didn't want was over-blown bass or diffused bass...

With regards to installing systems in the kitchen, and once again addressing this for the 100th time, since that person seems to have a comprehension problem...

I have always had our personal reference systems installed in living rooms, regardless of what that space may be. The purpose is to enjoy it during all times, entertaining guests, get togethers with fellow music lovers, and sitting around with good mates and enjoying "the music."

If I was planning to sell the gear, then I would have this set up in a dedicated room, where I would solely focus on a proper demo in order to close a sale. This I/we used to do during our dealership years but now I've sold that business since 2004 and moved on. Therefore, my systems will always be installed in our living area for all family members to enjoy, not a one person type of installation... I'm not interested in such a setup. So with that said, I sincerely hope and believe these points get across to the very person who continues to cast comments regardless of me trying my best to explain things.

And, yes the overall presentation is very realistic, as it should be. Couldn't be more pleased with the level of transparency and finer detail, especially that midrange, there's nothing quite like it when it's dialed in right.

On this Wed, two chaps are arriving from a reputed electrical company who also understand normal electrical works in line with high end audio gear. So, the purpose of this visit is to further isolate the front end from the monoblocks, dedicated wiring for the amplifiers and set up on separate CB's to the mains board. Good stuff, as this will further eliminate any unwanted hum, RFI pick up, static and pops, which do happen once in a while, where we may not notice simply because we're too caught up in the fine tunes!

It's always a great learning curve, and I've certainly embraced all comments with much positivity as possible. Sometimes it's definitely frustrating when that one person doesn't seem to get nor even wants to try to understand what the rationale behind is. Anyway, I've done my best trying to explain.

its great that you have addressed the problems and it’s now sounding better.enjoy big dog.

I can also entertain people and I do often and I have a music only room as you know.every body can do what they like. I have moved the horns out btw and you were right they sound astounding the 30.7s.evans and peter will be invited over for a second listen.cheers

You certainly are a very experienced writer.I think you should work for a Hifi magazine instead of what your doing now. I still believe where your system is placed does not do it any justice at all . But as long as your happy that’s all that matters.cheers raj.

Ah! Finally G-man, you managed to move the horns out of the way.

That's probably the best news I've heard from your end of the woods!

Nice one, now sit back and experience how the 30.7's move that ribbon bass. They are capable of great speed and agility, and very well controlled, however only as long as the amplifiers are up to task.

BTW, I'm trying out the awesome Dartzeel amplifiers on the CLX's, just to see what the difference was compared to other SS amplifiers, oh my goodness! What a superb combination it is. I'm thinking of closing the deal but what on earth would I do with more amplifiers. I still love the way the CJ delivers the mids and extended airy highs, such that their level of musicality has always been top notch. It's very hard to give that up.

The Dartzeel handles stats with supreme finesse, I should have got one way before and used on a second system when I had the chance. Will have to see how it goes.

Beautifully made and constructed, the design and quality finish is SOTA. No wonder Michael Fremer and JV love their Dartzeel monoblocks!

Cheers, RJ

What happened to the clx panel?
Nothing to the panel. Apparently a short of some sort (blaming it on the cable but who really knows) sent power surge that knocked out the bass panel which ended up needing a new crossover. Fun working on the guts of this amazing speaker. Fortunately it wasn’t the DEC board which would have required soldering, which I’m a complete novice at.

Hey Daniel mate,

That's good to hear that it was a cross-over issue and all fixed up. The CLX's panels are built to high standards and have high tolerances for over voltage, if there were any issues... The panels are vacuum bonded, much stronger than welding, and they can take a beating in excess of 10,000 volts. That's basically double the tolerance of what Quads can handle or any other stat.

BTW, that pic of the Wilson Benesch speakers and Momentum amplifiers when you log on to WBF front page; those are the very same amplifiers that I auditioned on each year with the CLX's at my mates place in Spore. It's a formidable performance!

He also has the Relentless monoblocks driving the ML Statements Evo-II's, that's another stratospheric performance! Since lately earlier in Feb, he's acquired the new Alsyvox X version of the second from the top, where the crossovers are housed externally. We were to make a trip this Feb but couldn't due to covid. Still looking forward to it though.

My all time favourite driving the CLX's are his CJ ART300's partnered with that particular Momentum preamp, it's one awe-inspiring experience. I'm just about half way there...! hence too costly for me at themoment. Might as well sit back and enjoy what I've got.

Cheers mate, enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Nothing to the panel. Apparently a short of some sort (blaming it on the cable but who really knows) sent power surge that knocked out the bass panel which ended up needing a new crossover. Fun working on the guts of this amazing speaker. Fortunately it wasn’t the DEC board which would have required soldering, which I’m a complete novice at.
thanks for that. I always disconnect my system from the power outlet when there’s storm’s around.there’s no surge protector of any kind on my system.

Disconnecting the system from the mains is probably the safest and best method of any surge protection circuitry...

However, most of the time we're not sitting at home waiting around for storms to happen and be able to disconnect. Most of these storms happen we're not around! Simply because we're at work!

Cheers, RJ

Disconnecting the system from the mains is probably the safest and best method of any surge protection circuitry...

However, most of the time we're not sitting at home waiting around for storms to happen and be able to disconnect. Most of these storms happen we're not around! Simply because we're at work!

Cheers, RJ
Not me I don’t work as I am retired. So I am pretty much always home especially when storms are forecast.

Actually had nothing to do with storm or external surge. I was swapping in new components and when I powered on the amp got thumps in the left channel and eventually determined it was due to a bad interconnect. Surprising but I guess it can happen.

One issue with disconnecting is it takes time to restore the charge to electrostatic speakers.

Actually had nothing to do with storm or external surge. I was swapping in new components and when I powered on the amp got thumps in the left channel and eventually determined it was due to a bad interconnect. Surprising but I guess it can happen.
That is unusual. But your right it can happen.

Didn’t know that. Not good if you have a power failure and power is restored and you wanna listen to music.how long do they need to charge up?
Martin Logans only take a moment to recharge the panel, they also cut the power to the panel automatically after a certain time without use. I remember having this feature fitted on my first pair of CLS speakers, they came with constant power panels originally, and had a tendency to collect a lot of dust, when they where not being used.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing