A return to TT

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If you're going with Burmester, the Ph100 also comes with a killer ADC to do the digital conversion....... most members of our audio club couldn't reliably tell the difference between analog and digital in that exercise.

Some time ago, a friend and I converted LP's to digital (24/96) and listened on the fly (did not create CD's) and we could NEVER consistently tell the difference (the listener was in a different room than the person doing the switching). As a result of that test, I have always thought that much of the problem with digital (versus analog) was less the conversion portion and MUCH more the burning of CD's and the subsequent retrieval. An that would certainly explain by one CD transport sounded different than another.

But with current digital servers available, just go from LP directly to the server. My bet is that you would give up much less (subtle loss of analog "sound") but gain HUGE convenience (and eliminate record wear as well).

The issue remains, however, of finding the time to convert 1000)+ LP's :(

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
LP digitization takes me forever. I can do maybe 3 in a day. Probably you will want to convert selected LPs but I agree with the other posts - enjoy your new rig.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think mike lavigne gave a sound advice .
the other thing which is very important is the phono amp cart combination .
My first table was a fat bob and the dealer sold it to me with a cheap project phono amp which didnt mactch the cart at all , i sold the whole analogue rig as i was very dissapointed with the sound , some dealers eyh......
There was a gain problem from the start ....

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Frantz,

Don't scrimp on a Record Cleaning Machine and really good cleaning solution like Disc Doctor. Even an inexpensive VPI 16.5 RCM would do as long as the cleaning solution is great. Some solutions do a good job, Disc Doctor does a GREAT job. The Walker enzyme cleaner is very good too, but is a four step process vs DD's two step process. And it's pretty expensive.

--Bill

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
+1 on the record cleaning.

The best I've found for the really dirty records is the Nitty Gritty. It cleans from the bottom, so that your dirty side doesn't get put on the platter first, and then the clean side gets placed on the dirty platter! If your records are already relatively clean, almost any of the better machines will do. For the really bad ones, I clean on the Nitty Gritty.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Frantz,

A link you might find interesting:

http://coltrane.music.mcgill.ca/MAQ/experiments

go to the bottom of the page and follow the link on the word "paper" which will download a .pdf paper on some of their findings.

Thanks. That was very interesting - I wonder why they picked 5 seconds as the length of each clip. I don't think that I can tell anything with that short a clip.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
LP digitization takes me forever. I can do maybe 3 in a day. Probably you will want to convert selected LPs but I agree with the other posts - enjoy your new rig.

The project that Larry Toy took on out of love for his children sounds like a prison sentence to me. “MEP, I sentence you to digitize 15,000 LPs to digital” said the judge. YIKES! I wouldn’t digitize 15,000 LPs if the hottest woman in the world promised to have sex with me if I did it. If those kids really liked my LPs that much and I just didn’t think they did, I would put it in the will that they would split them equally after I’m eating a dirt sandwich.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I thank ll the members for their gracious advice. The choice is made TT is to be a Technics SP-10 , PLinth will be constructed wih the help of a Mechanical Engineer friend.. Likely sandwiched material, Arm to be SME Series IV.. Cartridge don't know yet, Phono Stage likely Burmester not the PH-100 but the one that comes for the Preamps (O11 or OO7 or the surprisingly good 935) ...

Now I am looking for a sane even DIY record cleaning machine. must be way under $500.. Advice, Suggestions. I am also open on a good Cart for around $500 plus or minus 200 :) ..Suggestions are welcomed. Also on Record preserving sleeves and cartridge cleaning

I will look for a Vibraplane online and dress i nicely within some kind of furniture ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I thank ll the members for their gracious advice. The choice is made TT is to be a Technics SP-10 , PLinth will be constructed wih the help of a Mechanical Engineer friend.. Likely sandwiched material, Arm to be SME Series IV.. Cartridge don't know yet, Phono Stage likely Burmester not the PH-100 but the one that comes for the Preamps (O11 or OO7 or the surprisingly good 935) ...

Now I am looking for a sane even DIY record cleaning machine. must be way under $500.. Advice, Suggestions. I am also open on a good Cart for around $500 plus or minus 200 :) ..Suggestions are welcomed. Also on Record preserving sleeves and cartridge cleaning

I will look for a Vibraplane online and dress i nicely within some kind of furniture ...

VPI 16.5 or Oki Nokki RCM. Also look into the SRA platforms. Cheaper and just as good as vibraplane. There are still issues with the air isolation that no one has talked about eg. air still can vibrate too :)

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
+2 on the Cleaning System

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I did back in the days it is wrecked as where the other stuff. I actually had 2 .. :( .. Easy to source on e-Bay for a small fraction of the price... They do work .. I tend to rely on objective data and so far the Vibraplane meet that requirement if the SRA come close, well fine.. I'll look into these, thanks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
For cartridge under $500 - look at the Denon 103 and its variants. Record cleaning maching - I like the Nitty Gritty and there is a manual model under $500.

Grado Reference Platinum or Dynavector 10x5....two solid choices under $500.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing