A new signature ...

Antheus29

Apr 7, 2021
Hi Bob,

I see that the Pillium is quite powerful with 300w. I was wondering if it was noo too powerful for a the Diesis speaker with a 98db sensitvity?
I'm asking that because I'm very interested by the Diesis speakers but i'm afraid that my Karan KAS600 would be too powerfull for that kind of speakers
Thanks
Olivier

Reactions: J117

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Olivier,

The Diesis speakers sound AMAZING with the Pilium Achilles (300 watts 8ohm) amp. Several people prefer that presentation vs tubes on the Roma and Roma Triode. The big SS amps are just loafing but they sound REALLY GOOD on the Diesis.

Reactions: Bobvin

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
That must be a Hercules mono… the caps are a bit smaller in the dual-mono Achilles but still they are the size of, say, a big can of tomatoes. Here’s how it looks inside my Achilles:
View attachment 82679
I can confidently say Pilium won’t ever be mischaracterized as lacking dynamics either micro or macro, and with virtually unlimited headroom.
That is a true, one of a kind beast.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
A snowy Portland morning… not meant to be a “listen how great my system sounds video” but a fringe benefit of designing the room to allow, acoustically, for the windows and doors. We had a good snowfall the other day, but I didn’t record anything. I wished I had—it was beautiful.

This morning I had another chance. I have no idea what I am doing. iPhone 12 mini, placed the phone on the top of the backrest on the chair in the main listening position. You can choose a hi-res version of the video:

Song has special meaning to me, from a very challenging time of my life — a time of profound sadness and longing. I lost my eldest brother the Friday before Christmas, so it has been a rough holiday season. This song speaks to me. The snow falling only deepens the feelings.

Last edited:

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Gorgeous view and and beautiful music. Sad for your loss. Condolences to your family.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Very sorry for your loss Bob.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A snowy Portland morning… not meant to be a “listen how great my system sounds video” but a fringe benefit of designing the room to allow, acoustically, for the windows and doors. We had a good snowfall the other day, but I didn’t record anything. I wished I had—it was beautiful.

This morning I had another chance. I have no idea what I am doing. iPhone 12 mini, placed the phone on the top of the backrest on the chair in the main listening position. You can choose a hi-res version of the video:

Song has special meaning to me, from a very challenging time of my life — a time of profound sadness and longing. I lost my eldest brother the Friday before Christmas, so it has been a rough holiday season. This song speaks to me. The snow falling only deepens the feelings.
After a few notes, I just looked out the window...hollow, empty. Ears still hearing, just hearing, not listening. Mind is elsewhere, not here.
I never met you Bob. But probably tap on your shoulder quietly if I was standing in the room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka and I are very sorry for your loss, Bob.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sorry to hear of your loss. Keep strong.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Condolences Bob !

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Condolences to you and family.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thank you all for the comforting words.

My brother had a hard, hard life. Like many artists, he never really “fit” into the world. Depression and addiction took their toll, eventually robbing away his creative impulses. But, when those creative juices were flowing he produced real works of art. A few photos of my brother “Buzz” and a few of the guitars he made:
05A05A37-C47F-4F97-912E-AF48E93F3F88.jpeg CA7EF273-68C9-4428-9CA1-2C761434C823.jpeg F2C2E25E-B016-4EE1-8192-E29253F63D71.jpeg 40760FF4-78A5-4FF2-B5DE-B92429A4833A.jpeg A8EA97A3-6700-40E1-9640-98D1B801F1E6.jpeg 794925D9-FF3E-4401-813B-A3CCA3760B9E.jpeg B882F50A-E113-4920-A91A-1FFFABB9E5DA.jpeg 113D1D57-C03E-4EBB-A8BA-7931A208128E.jpeg 91FAD13A-7D41-4A12-9BEB-F76650760FAB.jpeg F08317D1-D233-4212-9B80-98D8ED89D149.jpeg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Always with “french polish”, hours and hours rubbing shellac cut with everclear, building up layers upon layers of finish. One of the most durable, lasting finishes done the old-school way. I’m sure some polymer has been made that could reduce the effort exponentially, but then the instrument wouldn’t have the same soul.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Sadly, musical talent isn’t something I ever was pushed towards as a child. When I was 6 year old, my mother died and I spent the next six years in and out of foster homes and orphanages (my father was absent, and there were eight children.) Not an environment conducive to learning an instrument. My brother was the eldest. Music does run in my genes to some extent — my great, great uncle was Antonín Dvo?ák.

Me, I don’t know my sharps from my flats. My cousin sure does — he was director of music at Bloomsburg University (and conductor!)

E90D55DF-D74A-466D-B17D-5B4348120932.jpeg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
my great, great uncle was Antonín Dvo?ák.

Wow - how cool is that!

Funny, Vineyard doesn't sound Czech - maybe it's all in the pronunciation.

Never too late to take piano lessons!

You might enjoy this in your collection. Play it for customers and casually drop "my great great Uncle wrote this." :)

Dvorak Cello Concerto von Karajan Berlin Phil DG 139044 SLPM.jpg
DG 139044 SLPM

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow - how cool is that!

Funny, Vineyard doesn't sound Czech - maybe it's all in the pronunciation.

You might enjoy this in your collection. Play it for customers and casually drop "my great great Uncle wrote this." :)

View attachment 87528
DG 139044 SLPM

Is that the recording you favor? The one I have on CD (ripped to my library, so I’m not certain which conductor/orchestra at the moment) is a little flat. But it is one of my favorite cello pieces.

My mother’s maiden name was Jelinek — a bit more “czech”. My wife and I did a cycling tour a few years back from Prague to Vienna and I rode through the town of my great grandparents. A lot of Czechians (?) migrated to the upper mid-west I believe inspired the New World Symphony.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Always with “french polish”, hours and hours rubbing shellac cut with everclear, building up layers upon layers of finish. One of the most durable, lasting finishes done the old-school way. I’m sure some polymer has been made that could reduce the effort exponentially, but then the instrument wouldn’t have the same soul.
Stunning guitar builds and finish, Bob. French polishing really is challenging and that level of finish is exquisite.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Interesting you would say that Tim. I walked into a Steinway store the other day and chatted with the young woman “brand ambassador“ who was tending the store. I grew up with an upright piano in the house. I have read there are a few things one can do to help ensure a healthy mind as we age: learn another language, learn to play an musical instrument, and solve complex problems. I have thought many times it would be fun to learn to play piano, and having one in the house would be amazing. We have a great space for one. The woman mentioned she is currently teaching lessons to a 75 years old gentleman — so you’re right its never too late.

In chatting with this delightful woman, she tells me about the “Spirio” player piano. I will say the player piano concept has come of age. I immediately thought 1) I could learn to play on it, and 2) it would be so cool to listen to real piano music upstairs, then go down to the listening room to audition speakers and components to see how close we could get to the real thing. They have thousands of recordings of piano compositions, classical, jazz, contemporary and the piano can recreate over 1000 dynamic levels and 256 pedal positions. Really remarkable.

It may be my next component purchase — https://www.steinway.com/spirio

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
In chatting with this delightful woman, she tells me about the “Spirio” player piano. I will say the player piano concept has come of age.

It is certainly a direction Steinway reached in this century. Personally, I would consider historical research and searching locally for model(s) from their heyday if buying a Steinway with potential investment quality.

For playing I'm afraid you don't just pick a make/model. Your instrument needs to fit you. This is a physiological complication that may have to balance itself between you and your wife.

Classical doesn't seem to be your natural landing point. Jazz pianism might be the better recording catalog to sort out what will provide the sound you like. You should balance your expectations against what rote playback of a player piano will provide.

Please accept my condolences for you and your family's recent loss.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing