5 year speaker plan

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Joe,

Come to Hong Kong and listen to everything! ;)

During my recent speaker search with a budget similar to yours i listened to quite a few speakers. The ones that stood out were the Rockport Cygnus (as there was no Lyra to demo) and the Stenheim Reference Ultimes. I also like the Martens although i have not heard their latest, having owned the Coltrane 2s for a number of years. Heard the Wilson XLFs too and they weren't bad. Magico M3/6 not really my cup of tea. I suggest you also look at the Stenheim Alumine 5s. They sound great for their price range.

Cheers

howie

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Stenheim was in my list as I had a casual listen to a pair of Reference in Singapore a couple of years back. Back then, business was tough so not in consideration. Now that I want to have a listen, dealer no stock.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Stenheim was in my list as I had a casual listen to a pair of Reference in Singapore a couple of years back. Back then, business was tough so not in consideration. Now that I want to have a listen, dealer no stock.

Come visit. My dealer has a pair to demo.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I have realized that the room is the single most important component in the system that most dealers do not talk about. Paid a lot of school fees to get to where I am today. I moved in to my current place 10 years ago. When I had my house built, I decided to have a bigger dedicated listening room built. For some reason, my younger self thought that that rock wool all around hidden under wooden panels would be best. Engineering floor boards for the room as well. The end result was totally no bass. Had to take them all down and started over with bare walls and tiled floor. Cost of lesson : USD30,000. From bare walls back to bare walls with nothing else to show.

Over the years, I discovered that I prefer diffusion on the first and second reflection points of the sides walls. I prefer diffusion at the back wall as well. Front wall is a combination of duffusion and absroption. Bass traps at the corners. DIY Helmholtz resonators to tune out the 60+hz standing wave.

As of yesterday, I have also taken delivery of a pair of JL F113s to bolster the low frequencies a bit. Quite a handful. Despite all the efforts, I still had a nasty bass null around 40hz prior to the insertion of the F113s. The F113s certainly helped but not totally elimate this null. Managed to push the dip to 30hz for now, Tuning continues. I use a software program from XTZ with an included USB mic.

I am based in Malaysia on the island of Borneo.

Anyway, next course of action :

1) Focal Stella Utopia - round 2 - I will fly to Singapore and audition the Stella one more time. Dealer showed me that he has setup the DCS Vivialdi to welcome me.
2) Magico M3 - I will visit my friend in the Capital City of Malaysia across the sea to have a listen to his S7 with Naim S1 pre 500Dr power and Naim ND555 + Kuzma Goldfinger front end setup. Since my last viist, the hardcore fellow as added 2 pairs of JL Gotham monsters. If this works out good, I will get him to introduce his Magico dealer to try for an audition for the M3.
3) Vivid Giya G2 - This is still at the back of my mind to find a suitable time to audition. Unfortunately, no stock available to places accessibly by me. Will need to listen to the G1 again in a home environment. There is one set of G1 + Naim Statement in Singapore where the dealer may be able to work out something.

Other suggestions also in consideration if they r available in the region.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Now that you own a JL Audio subwoofer, I recommend you give their technical service a call. They're very friendly and knowledgeable and can explain some useful procedures for properly integrating your sub with your main speakers by adjusting the sub phase at the crossover point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing