5 year speaker plan

Jan 8, 2014
I am sort of maybe looking for new speakers in the medium term future and would like some advice from esteemed members here.

My current system is listed in my signature.

I have had ProAc for the last 10 years and current pair for the last 5 years. Prior to that, I had DIY wide band driver Mitsubishi Diatone monitors.

I have a positive bias to warmer side of neutral. I listen to more vocals than percussions. I like soundstage and bass as much as the next guy but mid range / nice vocals is the 1st priority.

My room is medium / small measuring at (L x W x H) 25ft x 16ft x 10ft.

Budget is for now arbitarily set at USD80,000 - USD100,000.

Help me narrow the field of potential candidates. I loathe to change amps so candiadates have to match well with the Naim or Accuphase.

Much appreciated in advance for your advice.

PS : I may post similar requests in other forums so if u come across, please forgive me

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What music do you listen to, and is it digital, analog, what kind of recordings

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I've heard both the Carbon 6's and 8's-- frankly for "much" more dosh I cannot think of any in a domestic envirnoment

that will better them-even in the price range you mention--

I'd keep 'em;)

BruceD

Jan 8, 2014
more biased towards vocals, pop, rock. Not much jazz at all. Would like to learn classical. Mandarin pop from the 80's etc

Have a bunch of 70's/80's/90's to current Lps

few hundred to a thousand CDs. A few SACDs

also exploring streaming

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
more biased towards vocals, pop, rock. Not much jazz at all. Would like to learn classical. Mandarin pop from the 80's etc

Have a bunch of 70's/80's/90's to current Lps

few hundred to a thousand CDs. A few SACDs

also exploring streaming
If you want to learn classical, and end up learning it, your speakers choice might change from pop rock. So, since you have a 5 year speaker plan, it depends how much you end up learning. Best way is to go to a lot of concerts and then at the end of the first year start demoing. Your preferences might change

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you like vocal music with tight and tuneful bass, then I recommend you to try Lansche 4.2 speaker with SET tube amplifier.

I am confident that few speakers can match vocal sound from my Lansche 4.1 driven by SET tube.

Elvis Presley and Eva Cassidy give spooky presence in my listening room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For your priority of vocals, which is my priority too, as well as the warmer side of neutral, I recommend investigating Magnepan speakers (especially if you live in the USA) and Analysis Audio speakers (especially if you live in Europe).

If a smaller, European company does not worry you, I prefer the sound of the Analysis Audio speakers over the sound of the Magnepan speakers.

Driven by a high power tube amp or a high power hybrid amp I think either speaker would be magic on vocals.

For the ultimate in transparency and in-the-room presence of vocalists, in return for slightly less corporeal body and instrumental weight, I strongly recommend the MartinLogan Neolith.

I would drive all three speakers with the exact same amplifiers.

The Spanish company Alsyvox makes a ribbon loudspeaker which appears, by Munich show reports, to be very promising. I have not heard it myself, but I woukd like to audition it someday.

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I am sort of maybe looking for new speakers in the medium term future and would like some advice from esteemed members here.

My current system is listed in my signature.

I have had ProAc for the last 10 years and current pair for the last 5 years. Prior to that, I had DIY wide band driver Mitsubishi Diatone monitors.

I have a positive bias to warmer side of neutral. I listen to more vocals than percussions. I like soundstage and bass as much as the next guy but mid range / nice vocals is the 1st priority.

My room is medium / small measuring at (L x W x H) 25ft x 16ft x 10ft.

Budget is for now arbitarily set at USD80,000 - USD100,000.

Help me narrow the field of potential candidates. I loathe to change amps so candiadates have to match well with the Naim or Accuphase.

PS : I may post similar requests in other forums so if u come across, please forgive me
Our rooms are almost identical in size. Your going to have fun!

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Given your room size and musical preferences, my vote goes to the Magico M2 @$63.6kUS (incl: MPod tripod stands). Those speakers can really do bass & hugely impressed at the recent Munich High End show. They have a similar sound signature to the M6, but would be easier to place & would not overload your room. Additionally, your Accuphase mono's would do a stellar job driving the M2's.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Marina del Rey, CA
For Naim and Accuphase coupled with a slightly warm of neutral speaker like your Proacs and a vocal/rock preference- panels and Magicos are far from the solution in my experience.

I'd recommend auditioning Wilson and Gamut - both are excellent on vocals and dynamic for rock/pop, relatively easy to drive for your amp stable. Gamut is warm, but not as warm as say Sonus Faber.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing