400 & 260 biamping

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
Hi,

I plan to use dma 400 and 260 with a MIT Shotgun Y Connector from a DMC 15SS.
Its a interim system and the Speaker need more power than the 400 alone can deliver.. When I get new speakers I will sell the 260 and use just the 400s.

Anyone did this before or knows if that can work? Can this damage the amps or have the amps unequal volume levels?

thanks,

Matthias

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
I havent baught the 400s yet so I dont know exactly. What I know is that a 260 is not powerful enough and a 500 Wpc 4 ohm Amp from Linn had not enough bass and control too.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Hi,

I plan to use dma 400 and 260 with a MIT Shotgun Y Connector from a DMC 15SS.
Its a interim system and the Speaker need more power than the 400 alone can deliver.. When I get new speakers I will sell the 260 and use just the 400s.

Anyone did this before or knows if that can work? Can this damage the amps or have the amps unequal volume levels?

thanks,

Matthias

Assumption: you are connecting the 260 to midrange & treble / 400 to bass /
Contact Spectral Audio.
You should have 2 left & 2 right outputs on the preamp that should take care of it [instead of the MIT].
You will be splitting the preamp output signal to the amps' inputs - that would not be a problem if the signal strength falls in the Proper Parameters of the 400 & 260 -CONTACT THEM after Spectral.
At this point I would NOT be concerned about volume differences / at this point "Do No Harm".

zz.

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
The 15SS has only 1 pair of outputs and a tape output. Is it that what you mean? The 30SS has 1 unbalanced and 1 balanced output but not the 15SS. Does anyone know if the amps share the same gain?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The 15SS has only 1 pair of outputs and a tape output. Is it that what you mean? The 30SS has 1 unbalanced and 1 balanced output but not the 15SS. Does anyone know if the amps share the same gain?

Therefore, back to the MIT.
Everything else written before remains the same [minus multiple outputs].
What did Spectral say about the MIT split?

zz.

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
You have not tried the DMA-400 and yet you think it will not drive your speakers based on a Linn amp that can’t drive your speaker?

Just a couple of questions 1, what speakers are they? And 2, how big is your room that you need 500 watts / channel into 4 ohms?

Spectral’s specs say DMA-400 mono blocks will output 560 Watts RMS into 4 ohms load and 705 Watts RMS into 2 ohm load.

Like has been said, the DMC15SS has only one output to the power amp.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As a former non-believer that Spectral amps were truly finicky, after having a 260 and trying not to use MIT cables, it was clearly apparent that I was quite wrong and that MITs are required, both as IC's and speaker wire. Also, be very careful to judge Spectral amps by other amp standards. The 400's are quite powerful presuming that the sensitivity of the speakers is reasonable (89db and above) AND have a reasonable impedance curve that does not go below 2 ohms at ANY point. The protection circuit does not like significant output at frequencies with low impedances. Also the 400's have refined sound that the 260 cannot match, regardless of how good you think it is. I would prefer to play at a lower level than take away from its resolving power of the 400's. I have a 260 and my friends 400's give me great envy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing