3 Audio Research Power Amps

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Considering (preowned) 3 amps: AR Ref75SE, VT80SE, and GS150. I was wondering how they differ in sonic qualities. I know the GS is twice the power of the others. My speakers ar 90db efficient and room is 14x22x7. Pre is a Rogue RP7. Thanks.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Only one of those is from the reference “family” which are generally having a more robust power supply and should have more in reserve.
Whilst the GS150 is indeed twice as powerful, that only translates to an additional 3db.
as a personal choice, I’d go for the ref75 se, confident in the knowledge as and when you come to sell/further upgrade you’ll find plenty of potential buyers.
good luck whichever one you choose.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
wow ok. Just a note, I will be purchasing without demoing that is why I ask. So I was leaning towards the VT80SE because it has auto bias, the tubes are fused rather than having a sacrificial resistor and also I am told that the reference is the newer series and the VT series is the older "lusher" sounding units.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I've owned many ARC amplifiers from the D79 to my current Ref 250se. I had a Ref 75, not a se and sometimes wish I'd kept it as a backup through my Ref 150 and now the 250se. It is a fabulous amplifier with silky tones and plenty of punch if your speakers are efficient.

Reactions: Bobvin and Argonaut

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi! As a long time owner of quite a few ARC power amps and slowly climbing their ladder I managed to come to Ref75 as well and I'm happily using it for good 5/6 years now without any big (or at all) drive to change it. Even upgraded it as such not to SE level but rather some other mods but this is not too relevant. Its fantastic performer and if I could reach I would maybe only swap it for new Ref80s as its successor. As other guys said Ref series is really above VS/VT series. Never heard GS150 on another note but it does look fantastic as such.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Taking a number of particulars into consideration I might consider the REF 75SE to be my favourite ARC amplifier of several that I have run over the years, to the point that I am putting together a little system for Mrs MooN’s home office sporting one for amplification duties.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I still hope to get a REF150 again some day - IMHO it is the ARC amplifier to own with most box and electrostatic speakers. It has the extra power that gives us the feeling of ease and scale that lower power amplifiers do not have with all the sound qualities of ARC. But IMHO it needs a matching ARC preamplfier. Never tried the REF150SE, some people I know well preferred it to the GS150.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Microstrip makes a good point also, I did keep the Ref 150 as my backup and if I find a SP20 preamp I'll create a second system just for fun.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
@microstrip ...For my part Of the ‘modern’ generation ARC electronics I have owned , ARC REF 75SE , REF150 SE , GS150 ( the best looker ?) REF250SE’s... Pre amps REF5 later upgraded to SE , REF40 and finally REF10. I also spent a good while with my friends REF610T’s when I first bought my Martin Logan CLX Anniversary until I couldn’t take listening in just a thong any longer.

I have been fabulously entertained by all... however were I to choose a combination from them I would go with ARC REF40 into ARC REF75SE....OooooooooH maybe REF10 ?!?!?

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and Golum

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
@microstrip ...For my part Of the ‘modern’ generation ARC electronics I have owned , ARC REF 75SE , REF150 SE , GS150 ( the best looker ?) REF250SE’s... Pre amps REF5 later upgraded to SE , REF40 and finally REF10. I also spent a good while with my friends REF610T’s when I first bought my Martin Logan CLX Anniversary until I couldn’t take listening in just a thong any longer.

I have been fabulously entertained by all... however were I to choose a combination from them I would go with ARC REF40 into ARC REF75SE....OooooooooH maybe REF10 ?!?!?

Great to know about your ARC experience. I went through two REF40 - I sold mine and regretted it, had to buy an used one sometime later. Although the REF10 sounds more detailed, I prefer the more ethereal soundstage of the Anniversary. I was once tempted by an used REF750 and bought it - also discovering a few months later that 2 x 850 watt idle was not supportable ...

Recently I managed to acquire a pair of the old VT150 needing service - probably the amplifier that made my Quad ESL63 sing better during the late 90's. I hope to have time to go through them later this year - I was always fascinated by this ARC model, particularly after I found it is the only one to use the famous unity cathode coupling design, better known by its use in McInstosh amplifiers, and the ARC cross coupling technique.

Reactions: Argonaut

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
TheMooN has made this point to me several times in my upgrade threads that he really likes the Ref 40! I rarely make upgrades quickly and as he can attest from my recent threads, it was almost a decade since the last one. He has brought up the Ref 40 as what I should have gone for when I went from a Ref 1 phono and Ref 2 ver 1 line stage to my current Ref 2se phono and Ref 5se line stage. This was less than a year ago and the Ref 250se are not even 2 months old. Between his recommendations and several others in this forum I'm about to consider breaking my long standing rule of going slow on upgrades. I'm 75 this Dec. and finally considering retirement, not something I have liked up till now and wanted this last upgrade before my discressionary funds became limited. Well, after the first of the year I will begin looking for a belated 75th B'day gift to myself of a Ref 40. Not sure of how I'll make room for the second box, see photo, but, here I go. I don't know if I should thank TheMooN or revile him but, there it is.

DSC_2860.jpeg

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Great to know about your ARC experience. I went through two REF40 - I sold mine and regretted it, had to buy an used one sometime later. Although the REF10 sounds more detailed, I prefer the more ethereal soundstage of the Anniversary. I was once tempted by an used REF750 and bought it - also discovering a few months later that 2 x 850 watt idle was not supportable ...

Recently I managed to acquire a pair of the old VT150 needing service - probably the amplifier that made my Quad ESL63 sing better during the late 90's. I hope to have time to go through them later this year - I was always fascinated by this ARC model, particularly after I found it is the only one to use the famous unity cathode coupling design, better known by its use in McInstosh amplifiers, and the ARC cross coupling technique.
Cool ... What valves are you running in your REF40 micro ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Cool ... What valves are you running in your REF40 micro ?
Selected matched Sovtek 6h30 and a pair of GE 6550 for the power supply - but I never took the time to compare with others.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Selected matched Sovtek 6h30 and a pair of GE 6550 for the power supply - but I never took the time to compare with others.
I rolled 6550’s until near Psychosis and found the GE’s to be the best balanced valve of all , are you running pre 1990 Reflector factory DR 6h30’s as they make a significant difference imho.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I rolled 6550’s until near Psychosis...

Lol too funny

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing