200G Brubeck Time Out....thoughts, anyheard it?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm always looking for the very, very, very best sounding vinyl release of this title. From the original Classic Records re-issues I think I have at least three different versions already.

MikeL usually is best positioned to make these A/B comparisons and report conclusions.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm always looking for the very, very, very best sounding vinyl release of this title. From the original Classic Records re-issues I think I have at least three different versions already.

MikeL usually is best positioned to make these A/B comparisons and report conclusions.
Ron
Where does your issues lie with that album, mine is 90% cymbals.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ordered a copy, thanks

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron
Where does your issues lie with that album, mine is 90% cymbals.

Issues? I don't have any issues with it.

It is just one of my favorite jazz albums.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

I have that AP double 45rpm version. even though I like Bernie Grundman's mastering/vinyl cutting I can say that bass is a little bit emphasized and it's just a little bit soft sounding (due to the use of tube cutting amplifiers I guess).
as far as I know Classic Records issues were cut by Bernie Grundman and this AP reissue is better than those but since I don't own CR issues it's just a guess.
even though Bernie Grundman masterings are incredibly good but I rather like masterings from Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound, late Douglas Sax at TML or Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at Acoustech more.
for me Cohearent is incredibly good but not as good as Acoustech. sad to see it's gone.

Reactions: tony22

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

thank you for the kind words Ron.

i'm super-happy with my (now over 20 year old) 4 disc 45 rpm single sided Classic Record version of Time Out; in this case, have never invested in other pressings. so i can't comment on how they compare. in other cases, these original Classic Records single sided version typically were the best versions for what that is worth.

i avoid any of these 'one-step' expensive versions of any of my early 45 rpm titles too. the tapes are now 20+ years older. my more music money goes for recordings i don't already have mostly.

this music is so great that you can't go wrong if you don't have a 45rpm version of Time Out already.

Reactions: Zarir

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
thank you for the kind words Ron.

i'm super-happy with my (now over 20 year old) 4 disc 45 rpm single sided Classic Record version of Time Out; in this case, have never invested in other pressings. so i can't comment on how they compare. in other cases, these original Classic Records single sided version typically were the best versions for what that is worth.

i avoid any of these 'one-step' expensive versions of any of my early 45 rpm titles too. the tapes are now 20+ years older. my more music money goes for recordings i don't already have mostly.

this music is so great that you can't go wrong if you don't have a 45rpm version of Time Out already.
Do you like any particular track more in this album? Is it the drum that attract people to this album? Just pure curiosity.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Do you like any particular track more in this album? Is it the drum that attract people to this album? Just pure curiosity.

i like the whole album. a good listen. and it flows as an album. but it's a different flavor from other jazz due to it's time signature. so it has a different character. the tone of Desmond's alto sax is superb, all the playing is good and the recording is excellent. a well deserved classic all the way through.

for sure 'Take Five' is the gem.

Reactions: jeff1225

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
One of my favorite albums, I saw Dave Brubeck and sons with Joe Morello in the late 60’s in a small theater in Albuquerque NM. One of the best concerts I ever attended.
Joe Morello also has his own version of Time out, and its is a spectacular recording.. One of his best drum solo recordings I have ever heard.. Enjoy!

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I saw Dave Brubeck

I saw him and his band (at the time) in the mid-2000’s at the Kimmel in Philly. The man was in his 80’s for Pete’s sake and it was probably the best jazz concert I’d ever been to in my life. He was like a young man on fire (well, on fire Brubeck style :)). If I had closed my eyes I’d swear the man at the piano was 40 years younger. His last encore was Time Out. The entire audience went crazy. It was a night of perfection. :D

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020

I was a senior in High school at the time I saw Brubeck.. The week before I attended a Led Zeppelin concert, which was my first one ever.. Then I saw Brubeck at this small old theater and my friend and I were in jeans and tatters while everyone else was in suits and dressed to the gills... We didn’t fit in, but I enjoyed Brubeck way More than LZ.. It was an intimate concert without shouting and distorted volumes... Only got to experience that a few times over the decades..

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have the original Classic Records 33 reissue and think it sounds pretty good. I would love to own an original mono pressing however, the best I've ever heard this album was in the High Water Sound room with a original mono pressing.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
So I have great story to share about Time Out. Several years ago I had a party with various people, mostly my wife’s friends and none of them audiophiles. I was spinning records while we were drinking wine and one person, who i didn’t not know, asked to put on Take Five. We listened to the Classic Records reissue and he started weeping. He turned to me and said the last time he heard the song was with his late father at a live concert and it sounded just like that.

Audiophile dreams were fulfilled that night.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So I have great story to share about Time Out. Several years ago I had a party with various people, mostly my wife’s friends and none of them audiophiles. I was spinning records while we were drinking wine and one person, who i didn’t not know, asked to put on Take Five. We listened to the Classic Records reissue and he started weeping. He turned to me and said the last time he heard the song was with his late father at a live concert and it sounded just like that.

Audiophile dreams were fulfilled that night.
Could be too many bottles of wine Jeffrey :D.

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
so just now i played side one of an early 'Time Out' mono pressing on the NVS<->Miyajima Infinity mono 1.0 mil. then side one of an early stereo pressing on the Saskia<->Etsuro Gold, and then both discs (that make up side one) of the 4-disc Classic Records 45rpm pressings on the CS Port<->Etsuro Gold with linear tracking arm.

first off; this is fantastic music. each version was amazing......more amazing than the previous one. the Stereo is overall more involving than the mono, although the mono (with the advantage of the active isolation under the NVS) did have superior bass impact than the stereo early pressing. otherwise the stereo just has more meat on the bones and is more real sounding.

but the 45 pressings are in another league here. more complete, more visceral, more compelling, more real.....it sweeps you off your feet. you could make a case that the mono and stereo pressings are slightly more focused......but that might be just cartridge, turntable and tonearm differences.

it was a tough job, but someone had to do it.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hi-FiGuy and pweg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing