12AX7 Pre Amp Tubes Available But NOS and Expensive

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hunt for Valvos John. They sound great and aren't so popular that they've been faked a lot like many of the more popular brands. Counterfeits are the biggest risk when doing NOS and NIB.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tim - There are a good number of guitar shops and music supply shops around, so I'll visit them and see what they have.

Jack - OK...I'll check them out.

I don't want to go nuts here, but I'm not unopposed to find a pair for $100 or so, if I have to. Is this doable?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just purchased a Jolida JD9v2 phono preamp that uses a pair of 12AX7 tubes. I'll be picking up the unit on Saturday and can let you know what tubes are inside. I've been told that changing tubes would be highly beneficial and am looking for some suggestions. I am a complete novice when it comes to tubes, so anything you have to say will be received with much appreciation.

I've linked you to Parts ConneXion as they are only a 20-minute drive from my place, and they seem to have a good variety of tubes in stock.

Thanks!

What ECC83/12AX7 does Jolida use?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What ECC83/12AX7 does Jolida use?

I don't know, which is why I said I'm going to open the unit when I get it to find out. The tube brand/manufacturer isn't specified anywhere that I can see.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the tubes in the jolida only act as a buffer, the actual gain stages are a pair of op amps per channel. I don't think matching and selecting for lowest noise is crucial with this design, ymmv.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the tubes in the jolida only act as a buffer, the actual gain stages are a pair of op amps per channel. I don't think matching and selecting for lowest noise is crucial with this design, ymmv.

Does that mean I shouldn't look for different tubes? What would you recommend I do (if anything)?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No, just you can save a little money.

I'm all for saving a few dineros. Anyway, I'll post the brand of tube I find inside when I pick it up on Saturday.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Does anyone have an opinion on Cryoset tubes. A friend of mine recently put a pair of Gold Lion gold pins into the Unison Research integrated and it was a big step up from the standard Tung Sol gold pins the came w/the unit. I think the cost was $45 per tube.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone have an opinion on Cryoset tubes. A friend of mine recently put a pair of Gold Lion gold pins into the Unison Research integrated and it was a big step up from the standard Tung Sol gold pins the came w/the unit. I think the cost was $45 per tube.

Same company makes both tubes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I opened up the Jolida JD9v2 and here are 3 pics. You'll note from the last picture I will have to remove the tubes to see what brand they are, and do I do that by unscrewing the metal housing into which the tubes are placed? I tried gently pulling on them, but nothing...no movement at all.
Jolida inner 1.jpg Jolida inner 2.jpg Jolida inner 3.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing