$100k Speaker Cables

Any end in sight for just how ridiculous this really is?

Rob :)
Highly unlikely. If you object to the obscene pricing strategy rampant in the hi end universe, get your flak jacket on and get ready for a shit storm. Some believe greed is good and preying on the uber rich, who could care less about sound quality and buy expensive audio gear for status, are prime targets.

Its all about knobs from start to finish .

Ps I m sure the american reviewer industry will do the nescessary product hyping like:
" Cant live without these / technical break through / best ever/ patent pending/ first ever distortion free cables ......

Its more or less like Wall Street

1714540552408.jpeg

1714540635059.png

1714540833170.png

Last edited:
Reactions: wil
Say whatever I like that is good sound. It is much better with headphone.

Knowing Accuphase, it's likely a good one. I love the old cello piece as well. The designer of the Cello Palette and other brand pre-amplifiers is the President of Viola Audio Labs. I'll have to ask him why he never considered modernizing this iconic product as a Viola product.
Richard Burwin.was designer

Highly unlikely. If you object to the obscene pricing strategy rampant in the hi end universe, get your flak jacket on and get ready for a shit storm. Some believe greed is good and preying on the uber rich, who could care less about sound quality and buy expensive audio gear for status, are prime targets.
My experience of selling high end systems for 25 years and purchasing high end systems since the 60's happens to be different than your experience.

I have not found almost any customer, which includes probably 100+ customers that have spent big $$$ on systems from me to buy them for status.

All of the customers that I have sold big $$$ systems to have bought them because of the sound first, then coupled with the aesthetics that work for them, their family, rooms etc.

I have also had customers that have purchased big $$$ systems bring in friends to hear either my systems or their systems. Some of the visiting friends have unlimited funds and are able to purchase whatever they choose, including Ferraris, Lambos, private jets, yachts etc.

Once hearing a big $$$ system they usually say WOW, that sounds amazing. I've never heard anything like that.

After their listening experience if they are asked would you purchase a system like this, they pretty much ALL say NO. Even with unlimited available they usually buy a Bose or in wall system for music.

Unless someone is a critical listener, pretty much like all WBF members I have never had the experience of someone with a lot of $$$ buy a high end system.

Of course your experience might be different. I am just reporting on the last 50 years of my experiences.

Reactions: JackD201 and Bobvin
I was not implying that this conduct is universal which is why I used the descriptor "some" and apologize if you took offense to my comments. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. Kudos to you for your integrity and not encouraging those who could buy that don't. I would hope that you are representative of other hi end dealers but I suspect, unfortunately, that your conduct may not be the norm and not necessarily true.

And yes, I have had personal experiences (like others I suspect) that are contrary to your professional business character, approach and sales ethics. But maybe, I hope that this "pressure strategy" is becoming less prevalent given the evolving hi end gear purchasing options. Best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. Kudos to you for your integrity and not encouraging those who could buy that don't. I would hope that you are representative of other hi end dealers but I suspect, unfortunately, that your conduct may not be the norm and not necessarily true.

And yes, I have had personal experiences (like others I suspect) that are contrary to your professional business approach / sales ethics. But maybe, I hope that this "pressure strategy" is becoming less prevalent given the evolving hi end gear purchasing options. Best.
My real point is that guys with big $$$$ will buy houses, watches, cars, boats, cloths etc, as status symbols. I don't see (in the US) guys spending big $$$ on audio systems as a status symbol.

Actually I would love to sell guys big $$$ systems if it made them (their egos) happy, but I really never encounter that type of audio buyer.

I don't see (in the US) guys spending big $$$ on audio systems as a status symbol.

Off course not they re not stupid , they re rich for a reason , and who are you gonna impress with an audio system anyway " Nobody" ... may be Jay audiolab , lol
Even a second hand 100 K Lambo / Ferrari does that trick 100 times better than MIT

Reactions: Rhapsody
Off course not they re not stupid , they re rich for a reason , and who are you gonna impress with an audio system anyway " Nobody ... may be Jay audio lol "
Even a second hand Lambo / Ferrari does that trick 100 times better than MIT
EXACTLY:)

Reactions: andromedaaudio
I was not implying that this conduct is universal which is why I used the descriptor "some" and apologize if you took offense to my comments. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. Kudos to you for your integrity and not encouraging those who could buy that don't. I would hope that you are representative of other hi end dealers but I suspect, unfortunately, that your conduct may not be the norm and not necessarily true.

And yes, I have had personal experiences (like others I suspect) that are contrary to your professional business character, approach and sales ethics. But maybe, I hope that this "pressure strategy" is becoming less prevalent given the evolving hi end gear purchasing options. Best.
I didn't take offense at all, but thx. Just fun conversation:)

Some believe greed is good and preying on the uber rich, who could care less about sound quality

and buy expensive audio gear for status

Please provide statistically and methodologically valid evidence to support these comments.

Please provide evidence that rich people who buy expensive high-end systems do not care about sound quality. (And the expression you were attempting to use is "couldn't care less." If they "could" care less it means they care something about sound quality and so you undermine your own point.)

Please provide evidence that rich people "buy expensive audio gear for status." I'll make this one easier for you: I'll ask you to prove only that status is the primary (and not the sole) motivating cause.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom and Argonaut
There is a subtle caveat to my comments.

There are those that can afford big $$$ systems and might hear an unknown or very esoteric system, speakers, ??? that sound amazing to them, BUT they choose to buy big time audio name brands, for the sake to impress, vs what sounded good to them.

That is sort of audio snobbery in the "audio word" and maybe they do that to impress their audio buddies or forum readers that see their forum participation pics/posts etc.

It is my personal opinion that someone who thinks that a rich audiophile buys components for status to impress non-audiophile friends has been living for too long below ground in his own hobby rabbit hole.

I have never encountered a non-audiophile man or a non-audiophile woman who was impressed on a status basis by audio equipment in the way that many non-audiophiles are impressed by big houses, sports cars, fancy boats, private jet planes or even gold watches. On the contrary I know non-audiophiles who thought their audiophile friend was an idiot or a fool or both for spending big money on audio components.

Last edited:
If I had the money, I would definitely buy to impresa audiophiles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing