“You Are There” Absolute Sound: Can We Get There From Here? Part Two

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
[Continued from Part One. . . .]

There are two other stereo miking techniques I've heard which, to my ears, result in a fairly accurate spatial perspective, one where playback yields a fairly convincing replication of the perspective the listener would have heard from the recording mike position in the recording hall. One is the binaural method of using tiny condenser mikes inside a dummy head/shoulders/pinna baffle, with listening done through headphones. Most listeners agree that remarkably convincing spatial perspectives can be achieved with this technique when playback is through headphones. I know that others disagree, but I also find such recordings fairly convincing from a spatial perspective even when played back through loudspeakers if the speakers are placed so that the subtended angle is less than 60 degrees, such as is usually the case when the speakers are set up by the rule of thirds pointing down the long dimension of a rectangular room. You be the judge; here is the site where you can order binaural recordings.

What is needed is a technique which most can agree offers binaural-quality soundfield with loudspeaker playback. I’d like to suggest that the Dimensional Stereo Microphone (DSM) technique being marketed by Sonic Studios, which is arguably a variation of the binaural technique, is just such a system. Truly remarkable results can be achieved when tiny listener-worn omnidirectional condenser mikes (usually mounted on eyeglasses) are played back either through headphones or loudspeakers. If the recording is intended for loudspeaker playback, the microphones are simply moved forward of the ears along the glasses earpieces toward the lenses. See, for example, http://www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm and http://www.sonicstudios.com/anarchy.htm. Such recordings can sound amazingly realistic even though the quality of the available mikes for this application is a bit questionable.

One obvious problem with this technique is that the listener’s own personal recordings while wearing the mike probably map better to that listener’s ears than to others' ears. Another set of problems are caused by the self-noise and perspective changes caused by even small movements of the listener/recordist while recording the performance, movements which cannot be compensated for upon playback, even by the same listener who recorded the event.

Great results with this technique can also apparently be accomplished using relatively inexpensive dummy heads as baffles. What you lose to the “averaging” involved with such dummy heads, you gain back in stability of image and repeatability of results. Sample recording files using this technique with a dummy head as a baffle are available at http://www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm. These files sound remarkably live even when streamed off the Internet through my cable modem connection.

There are, of course, very few commercial examples of such recordings, this technique having been developed primarily for making "bootleg" recordings of live events from the audience. Many of the products and accessories available from Sonic Studios are aimed at addressing problems created by the need for stealth and ultimate portability of the recording system. These problems would evaporate in the context of serious professional recording equipment. The DSM technique thus strikes me as a potentially profitable avenue for further research since such mike arrays seem to be the best ones available for mapping the recording perspective fairly well to the listening room perspective with two-channel stereo. I would imagine that the high-quality artificial head and shoulders mannequins used for the best binaural recordings would work well with the DSM technique if the mannequins are simply fitted with glasses or other means for mounting the mikes a bit forward of the dummy's ears. Combine this with extremely high quality miniature condenser mikes and we may really have "something to write home about," as they say.

More Channels Needed

But most theorists agree that for truly accurate three-dimensional spatial mapping of sonic event, more than two channels are necessary. The Sonic Studios folks have experimental surround-sound models available where the head is equipped with at least four mikes. See http://www.sonicstudios.com/index.htm and scroll down.

Alternatively, I suggest further research into creating microphone arrays which can move beyond the Blumlein technique's accuracy in capturing spatial perspective within the 90-degree included angle of the mikes. While Blumlein obviously captures sound from the sides, behind, and above, it does not map such sounds accurately onto the soundstage as reproduced by two stereo speakers. This may be the reason why most practitioners place even Blumlein mike arrays closer than the perspective goal would indicate: the room sound is captured from all around the mike array, but with two-channel stereo playback, this extra reverberation comes from the two stereo speakers up front along with the direct sound, adding an extra dollop of concert hall reverberation to the direct sound which tends to make the source sound further away because of the increased ratio of reverberant sound coming from the same general direction as the direct sound of the instruments.

Perhaps all that is needed is for the information captured by a single Blumlein pair to be extracted and distributed among four or more channels around the listening position. If real height information is desired, a second Blumlein pair aimed between floor and ceiling might capture this information. There should be some way of combining the outputs of one or more Blumlein stereo-pairs aimed in different directions to accurately map a full 360-degree soundfield, at least when played back through some reasonable number of channels. I will leave it to the mathematicians and other theorists to figure out how many channels are necessary and how the microphone pairs should be oriented and their outputs summed or subtracted to yield such a result. Maybe the solution is as "simple" as a resurrection and enhancement of the Ambisonics technique. Note that REG used some sort (he hasn't said exactly what he did) of Blumlein-related technique to produce very convincing rear-channel surround on the Water Lily Mahler 5th Symphony SACD recording he was involved with.

I do know that with DVD, SACD, and Blu-ray, we now have commercial media which can give us at least five channels to play with in an attempt to accurately recreate a soundfield. Whether five or seven is enough to unambiguously map the soundfield from recording hall to listening room I do not know, but we now have media which can at least get us closer to the absolute, if that if where we want to go.

I suspect, however, that the vast majority of commercial recordings will never go there. Perhaps I am overly pessimistic about such things, but it seems quite likely that commercial releases on surround-sound-capable media will move in the direction of an attempt to put the listener in the middle of the musicians, and that the limitation of the extra channels to ambient effects will be deemed too subtle and “wasteful” of all those extra channels, especially given the bleed-over in practice and expectations from the established home theater market, where such sonic shenanigans are already the norm.

“They Are Here” as a Parlor Trick

"They are here" is a lot easier goal to attain, but is really on the order of a parlor trick, especially for a single instrument. Record any instrument with good mikes in a single-point stereo array from quite close up and you will effectively ignore or erase the room sound of the recording venue. Play that recording back with flat speakers (well, maybe a bit of a HF rolloff to compensate for the very close mike positioning in the recording), with reasonable dispersion and low distortion, at the right volume level in a relatively live room and--Presto!--you have "they are here" in the listening room, since the listening room acoustics don't fight with recorded acoustics and thus the listening room's sound takes over almost completely.

Acoustic Research once used a twist on this technique to confuse listeners in a blind test in a concert hall as to whether the orchestra was playing or whether the sound was coming from a battery of their speakers set up on stage in front of the musicians. It worked because the recording of that orchestra was made outdoors or otherwise anechoically. When the recording was played back in the hall, the concert hall acoustics so swamped the direct sound from the speakers that listeners supposedly couldn't tell the difference.

As others have noted, "they are here" really doesn't make literal sense for large groups anyway since you could not physically get an orchestra into a listening room.

Listeners who prefer the "they are here" goal usually do so because, in this day of movies and home theater, many crave the overt aural stimulation that immediacy and high volume yield: a surreal or "better than real" sound that "sounds good" to them. I can't say I totally blame them; I like the added immediacy of close seats even for large orchestral groups and actively dislike listening to small acoustic instrumental groups from far back in a hall. There is something to be said for higher volume, more immediacy, and exaggerated staging and envelopment to make up for what you lose in not being able to actually see the musicians before you.

[Concluded in Part Three. . . .]

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Tom,

I find your take on the need for more channels interesting. In the dawn of stereo, there was always the provision, but never used, of a middle channel. In the end, these three track tapes all ended up being mixed down to two track and the resultant destruction therefore (though it will be interesting to listen to the new Nat King Cole mastered by Steve Hoffman directly from the track tape to the lathe). I also know a manufacturer (and I haven't had the opportunity to go and hear yet!) who has many of these original three track tapes and has set up a 3 track R2R system based around these tapes with a three channel Quad 63 based system.

So I was wondering where these 3 track tapes fit into your thought process, if at all?

Last edited:

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Most everyone who hears the original three-track tapes of Mercury Living Presence recordings properly reproduced via three channels agrees that the sound can be better this way. For one thing, a wider stage is possible to avoid a "hole in the middle" effect so as to compliment the very close-up sound of the Mercury recordings. The SACD reissues of these recordings were done in three-channnel sound.

To my perception, however, such three-channels-in-front recordings and reproduction does not solve the big problem with two-channel stereo: the lack of adequate immersion in the hall acoustics. You need to have real sound sources to the side, behind, and perhaps even above for a life-like sense of immersion in concert hall acoustics. Stereo can be quite fine, but surround, done right, is even finer--easily so.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am OK if the surrounds are used to simulate hall acoustics. But sadly most of the time they are used to stick instruments in there which is a turn off for me....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tom

I find myself mostly in agreement with you on the need for multichannel ... The best simulation of Live Music can only be accomplished through MC, which by the way is the True Stereo. This said. I don't listen to music through MC.

Reasons:
  1. I find the present status of MC software not interesting, yet ( I am being an optimist). The few I have heard remind me of the first days of 2-Ch Stereo
  2. The difficulty associated with placing more than 2 speakers adequately in a room.
  3. The apparent need for identical at all position. I tend to think that the practical Main + Different Center and even more different Surrounds is flawed if one wants adequate immersion... while this workd for movies.. On music where I (and other Audiophile I think) tend to be more critical, it doesn't seem to work.
  4. Rigid, fixed speaker such as those prconised by the ITU are not good... IMO it should depend on the speakers and that sends me back to 1).

Yet it is intellectually clear to me that only MC can immerse one in what we experience in a live event. @-Ch can only approximate it...

Great postings by the way

Frantz

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tom,

I find your take on the need for more channels interesting. In the dawn of stereo, there was always the provision, but never used, of a middle channel. In the end, these three track tapes all ended up being mixed down to two track and the resultant destruction therefore (though it will be interesting to listen to the new Nat King Cole mastered by Steve Hoffman directly from the track tape to the lathe). I also know a manufacturer (and I haven't had the opportunity to go and hear yet!) who has many of these original three track tapes and has set up a 3 track R2R system based around these tapes with a three channel Quad 63 based system.

So I was wondering where these 3 track tapes fit into your thought process, if at all?

ATT Bell Labs which worked on the early Stereo, found out that the best way was to use 3-channles. The stumbling block ws the medium. LP were the most popular medium then and putting 3 channel in an LP was close to impossible...

Frantz

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Frantz, I agree with the set up problems and that it is best to have identical speakers all around. The best speakers to use with surround systems are those which work well near a wall. Either that, or you need a room the size of a castle ballroom. The set up problem is one reason I have not yet made my reference system in my dedicated audio room a surround system. The wide-separation paradigm I've adopted gets the most immersion from two channels.

But I may bite the surround bullet soon. The sheer number of speakers can work wonders in terms of conquering the second-venue problem of your listening room by literally overpowering your listening room's "small space" acoustics with those of the recorded program. (I have a home theater surround system in another room.) Yes, you may still need equalization for bass modes, but the absolute quality of each speaker and the proximitiy of room surfaces becomes less important if you are surrounded with seven or more speakers firing at you. And the best implementations of Dolby Pro Logic IIx are getting very good indeed. See Peter Moncrieff's reviews of the $5k Arcam AVR600 in Widescreen Review and on his IAR site.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing