Allnic Audio H5000 phono stage

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't hold out much hope for the XP-25 being my favorite. I am confident that a well executed LCR tube design is going to bring some musical magic that SS just can't deliver.

Christian, You sound awfully sure of the outcome. That's fine. Why not sell your XP-25 now and buy two 5000s and be done with it? Or for a different tubed phono option, contact Bruce Brown who is buying a Doshi phono to go along with his SS Pass amp and XP-30 pre?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I am sure I will compare them and share my opinions. It will probably be a few weeks to a month before I get the unit in my possession. I don't hold out much hope for the XP-25 being my favorite. I am confident that a well executed LCR tube design is going to bring some musical magic that SS just can't deliver.

Based on my experience with an XOno and all tube LCR phono-stage you aren't wrong.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Based on my experience with an XOno and all tube LCR phono-stage you aren't wrong.

The XP-25 is quite a step up from the XOno isn't it?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Evolutions from the original Ono. Better parts, closer matching, separate supplies/chassis, but the circuit is not a complete revolution. Wayne is pretty transparent about this. But that's why I specifically mentioned the XOno, I didn't want to say a generic term like my experience with Pass Labs phono-stages.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, You sound awfully sure of the outcome. That's fine. Why not sell your XP-25 now and buy two 5000s and be done with it? Or for a different tubed phono option, contact Bruce Brown who is buying a Doshi phono to go along with his SS Pass amp and XP-30 pre?

I like the variety Peter. I need two phono stages, but Not at the cost of two 5000's. From an msrp standpoint, the 5000 is 3 times the cost of the Xp-25 which I still think is a top notch performer and a sonic bargain $$$. I fully expect greater depth and soundstaging with a touch more bloom going with tubes.

When my Studer A80 comes back from rehab, I full intend to buy Nick Doshi's tape stage.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

That's what I have read (and heard from the folk at Pass Labs), though a guy whose opinion I value thinks the XP-30 is a bigger step up from the XP-20 than the XP-25 is from the XOno. A fellow forum member heard the XOno in my system and was so impressed with the transparency and lack of noise that he contacted Pass and bought the XP-25. He is very pleased. I hope to do the same someday.

I'm sure this is all very subjective and system dependent.

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
Lotus from the UK here. We have our demo H5000 now and its quite something ! Does some pretty amazing things. Congrats to anyone who has taken the plunge ! Just make sure you use it with the HA3000 head amp as well.

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
Are there any specs on this phono stage?

How does it compare to the similar priced Ypsilon phono?

We have the Ypsilon here in the UK and its a very good stage. It's on a level with the H3000 and in A/B's some people will refer the H3000 IME. Quite similar designs ! At the price of the Ypsilon you can include the HA3000 head amp as well which starts to make it a bit one sided.

The H5000 is a whole different ballgame to both though.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Looks killer diller. I spoke with KS Park many years ago briefly when he was sill designing this "holy grail" of DHT phono stages. The 300b in the power supply hearkens back to some of KS earlier designs for DHT.

I use the HA3000 nuvistor headamp with the older H3000 phono stage. I get my DHT ya ya's with the L5000 DHT line stage.

Maybe somebody already asked but will the phono stage be on display for listening at RMAF 2013?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Christian,

Again, hearty congratulations. Maybe I missed it...what is the tube set??

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hey Christian,

Again, hearty congratulations. Maybe I missed it...what is the tube set??

I have no idea on the tube set. The specs aren't even listed. Wow, I bought a ponostage and completely ignored the specs ;) I am assuming the gain/ turnover and impedance adjustments are similar to those of the H3000.

This is my first foray back into tubes since when I used to run a Cary SLP 94 line stage with oil caps and tele 12au7's...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Since you mentioned the SLP-94, the SLP-98 is one sweet little preamp.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So what is the headamp for the 5000? The nuvistor job that Carl has, or something built to go with the 5000?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So what is the headamp for the 5000? The nuvistor job that Carl has, or something built to go with the 5000?

According to the Hammertone website, it uses a nickel/permalloy SUT; I assume it's similar but probably a little different than the one used in the 3000.

If the 5000 is like mine--and it does seems to use tube rectification--you'll probably need to experiment with 5U4G tubes. Mine came with a Chinese tube and sucked. I ended up with a '60s vintage RCA; I really didn't like the Mullard G37. But since you bought it from Albert, you might ask him what super duper tube (I think he was using a U52 variant in his 3000) he is using also.

The newest H3000 has 74 dB of gain so imagine the 5000 will be in that range plus or minus a couple of dB.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
According to the Hammertone website, it uses a nickel/permalloy SUT; I assume it's similar but probably a little different than the one used in the 3000.

If the 5000 is like mine--and it does seems to use tube rectification--you'll probably need to experiment with 5U4G tubes. Mine came with a Chinese tube and sucked. I ended up with a '60s vintage RCA; I really didn't like the Mullard G37. But since you bought it from Albert, you might ask him what super duper tube (I think he was using a U52 variant in his 3000) he is using also.

The newest H3000 has 74 dB of gain so imagine the 5000 will be in that range plus or minus a couple of dB.
Myles, there was some reference in an earlier post to a separate head amp.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

You are correct, he is talking about the nuvistor head amp, not the input trannies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, there was some reference in an earlier post to a separate head amp.

Are you referring to Carl? The 3000 actually comes with it's own SUT but Carl thinks the outboard headamp is better.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Are you referring to Carl? The 3000 actually comes with it's own SUT but Carl thinks the outboard headamp is better.

I like it better, which is different from saying it IS better, but you have to adapt to a certain amount of noise, especially with cartridges below .4 mV, only a problem during inter-groove "silences". I would use input trannies with low sensitivity cartridges if you have to have them, but the head amp sounds so good, it is worth it to me to stick with the .4 mV and above types.

The head amp gives a markedly more incisive and dynamic presentation with remarkable imaging: transistor precision and dynamics with tube harmonics, dimensional imaging and decay, so to speak, but no overhang or bloat.

One would definitely need to audition the head amp first to see if it was OK with whatever favored cartridge arrangement. But with the audiophile country club prices on cartridges going through the roof, the head amp seems almost cheap.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing