New Tube Tape Preamp out soon-

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Just talked with Kara of Dehavilland about her new Tube based tape preamp. She is hoping to have it ready to demo by the end of June. I'm going to hear it this weekend. It should retail for less than $2000. It will be NAB/CCIR switchable with a variable high frequency control on the front panel. Will give a report after I hear it.

Rich Brown

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just talked with Kara of Dehavilland about her new Tube based tape preamp. She is hoping to have it ready to demo by the end of June. I'm going to hear it this weekend. It should retail for less than $2000. It will be NAB/CCIR switchable with a variable high frequency control on the front panel. Will give a report after I hear it.

Rich Brown

That's great, I can't wait to give it the Mundorf treatment,lol.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

Rich Brown

Hi Rich,

Nice to meet you :D Say, would you know if it will feature or option a differential balanced circuit?

Regards,
Sam

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Hi Sam
I heard the unbalanced version and it showed promise. She is trying out different heads and I heard them with ReVox heads, probably not the best match for the tube electronics. I did view a balanced output version with Lundahl output transformer. I think it will be offered in balanced and unbalanced versions.
Will give further reports after we hear them with more appropriate heads.

Rich

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Sam
I heard the unbalanced version and it showed promise. She is trying out different heads and I heard them with ReVox heads, probably not the best match for the tube electronics. I did view a balanced output version with Lundahl output transformer. I think it will be offered in balanced and unbalanced versions.
Will give further reports after we hear them with more appropriate heads.

Rich
Thanks, Rich...rather exciting!

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
DeHaviland 208 tube tape preamp pic and report

Just got back from Seattle where I joined John, Ki and Kara for a listening session with her tube preamp prototype. The transport and head were Ampex 351. We compared it briefly to the Studer 820 on a couple of tapes. Great Phat tube sound, as expected. Our next trip will allow more listening and some tests with various Studer and possibly Nagra or Sony APR heads/transports. Will have a youtube video up soon of our visit.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon

Attachments

• IMG_0190..jpg
    IMG_0190..jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 2,414
  • IMG_0189..jpg
    IMG_0189..jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 2,170

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Nice. Some tape deck museum. Does she water them every day ;)

Are all those R2Rs Kara's? Or is that at Ki's?

So if not mistaken, based on the two cal knobs, the tape pre has two inputs? How much gain does the unit have or is it adjustable? Do you have any idea of what it will cost?

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
The decks are at Ki's place. Kara and I took a drive to the great North yesterday to visit Ki and John. The gain is about 45db. I think Kara is working on a higher gain version with one additional gain stage and a transformer output balanced version. The preamp has adjustable HF pots for both IEC and NAB on the front panel.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The decks are at Ki's place. Kara and I took a drive to the great North yesterday to visit Ki and John. The gain is about 45db. I think Kara is working on a higher gain version with one additional gain stage and a transformer output balanced version. The preamp has adjustable HF pots for both IEC and NAB on the front panel.

who is Kara and what is her background

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Here is an inside pic of Kara's new tape preamp. This is just a prototype and a next version will be ready this week. New faceplate is in the works as well as a higher gain version. Will post by middle of the month.

Rich Brown

Attachments

• photo-10..JPG
    photo-10..JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 663

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes she was at RMAF with the new tape head pre. I stopped her in the lobby and she said she would be sending one my way for audition soon. I'll be using it on my A80 preview deck which has 2 playback heads. I can switch back and forth on the fly to audition between it's own electronics and the outboard pre.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I spent about half an hour in the DeHavilland room at RMAF and it was definitely one of my favorites. I thought that the system sounded terrific...I can not judge how much to attribute to the preamp, other than to say you couldn't get that quality of sound if it was anything short of excellent. I'll be interested to see the follow up on this thread.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Kara and I will be bringing her preamp up to Mike's place in two weeks for audition. If we have time, it will also travel to Ki's house of Studer for some listening. Report and pics to follow in two weeks. We will try the 222(kara's preamp) with her Ampex 351 transport and Nortronics head and see if we can lash up a Studer A80 or A820(with heads wired out directly to her preamp) for comparison.

Rich Brown

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing