Center Speaker for HT with S5?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Have a pair of S-5's in route from a dealer (yay!).
They will double as 2 ch and HT. I am looking for a center speaker hopefully around $1000 or so that is in the tonal neighborhood of the S5's- close enough not to draw attention to the difference.
Thoughts?

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Pardon me for asking, but do you need one? I use my Q5s in phantom mode! Works very good. What size is your room?

And, Congrats with the S5 :)

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I use a Magico SCC. It doesn't cost 1k but it integrates perfectly with the rest of my magico system.
I don't know any speaker brand which will be close enough to the S5 and very cheap at the same time. If you don't want to spend the money for the SCC, I would second tand suggestion to use phantom mode, this would give better results in term of sound coherence - and would be cheaper than the 1k ;-)

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
I use a Magico SCC. It doesn't cost 1k but it integrates perfectly with the rest of my magico system.
I don't know any speaker brand which will be close enough to the S5 and very cheap at the same time. If you don't want to spend the money for the SCC, I would second tand suggestion to use phantom mode, this would give better results in term of sound coherence - and would be cheaper than the 1k ;-)

I'll try phantom mode. I'm not paying $16k for a speaker that, to me, only needs to make speech coherent. I don't understand high fidelity for sound that is only there to enhance the video, excepting the sub woofer lows. Thanks.

Room is 23x29x10.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I'll try phantom mode. I'm not paying $16k for a speaker that, to me, only needs to make speech coherent. I don't understand high fidelity for sound that is only there to enhance the video, excepting the sub woofer lows. Thanks.

Room is 23x29x10.

I understand where you stand, it depends how important for you is audio in HT mode. But keep in mind that in 5.1, there is still some mixing of content across channels (so voices may come partially from LR speakers, even if predominant part is from center. Or ambient music may also use the center...). That's why you are better off going with phantom than mixing speakers which don't have the same sound.
Very nice room for a S5! send pics when you got them.
What will you use as electronic?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Very nice room for a S5! send pics when you got them.
What will you use as electronic?

Ah, the next journey! I have an old ARC SP9 ll and an Aragon 4004 ll to get started. I'll appreciate help and direction for alternatives. I don't want to fuss with tube amps or vinyl, so content will be FLAC files and such. No mono blocks sitting in the room; electronics will be in a rack behind a couch. I hope spending less than $10k on electronics will satisfy my ears, but I am able to go higher if I must. Open to used. A Rogue Audio Medusa has been suggested. Tube pre amp would be OK.

I was fortunate the dealer had a room approaching my size and stocked both the S3 and S5, allowing me to clearly determine the S3 just couldn't carry the room volume.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
for sure given your room size, S5 is a much better choice than S3!

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
if you want a cheap amp sounding very well, have a look at Hegel product line. Very good value for money and works well with Magico

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have gone through a number of centers, revel, kef, Salk, linn. Just yesterday I took possession of the evolution acoustic center (basically a flipped mm micro one), to match my mm3's. Very nice speaker - 2k. I'll probably try to,drive them with the new job 250 monoblock (now shipping). This may be a good affordable top notch amp to drive your s5 as well.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Ah, the next journey! I have an old ARC SP9 ll and an Aragon 4004 ll to get started. I'll appreciate help and direction for alternatives. I don't want to fuss with tube amps or vinyl, so content will be FLAC files and such. No mono blocks sitting in the room; electronics will be in a rack behind a couch. I hope spending less than $10k on electronics will satisfy my ears, but I am able to go higher if I must. Open to used. A Rogue Audio Medusa has been suggested. Tube pre amp would be OK.

I am a S5 user too. It's quite power-hungry. Not easy to find a suitable tube amp for it.

For poweramps : please consider HEGEL H4SE or even the top H30.
Or you may consider to buy Devialet as an all-in-one option.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing