You know you're an audio junkie when .................

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I read something recently by Sean Olive ,I believe ,which suggested that 4 seconds was the upper limit ,I will try and find the article.
Keith.

So what. I assume it simply supports your view of auditory memory and the value thereof, which many on this forum obviously disagree with.

And how, pray tell, did he determine that four seconds was the threshold?

I look forward to Mr. Olive's observations.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That was my whole point. A cable that has such an effect is a bad cable since it is distorting the signal in some manner. As I said, what comes out of the cable should be identical to what goes into the cable. Of course, that is easier said than done. So, I guess the ideal cable is the one that does the least damage.

Exactly! I was just pointing out there's plenty of cable out there that WILL alter the sound. Some more, some less. But still, they can't be ignored.

alexandre

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Exactly! I was just pointing out there's plenty of cable out there that WILL alter the sound. Some more, some less. But still, they can't be ignored.

alexandre

ALL cables have their own sigature there are NO exception there is no such thing as a neutral cable.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I personally reject (like PA's statement that burn in is nonsense) all "absolutist" statements.

But then again, I'm an atheist. :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Every cable is transparent unless you deliberately engineer it not to be , ie deliberately high capacitance.
Keith.

provocative statement.

I wonder if the designers of the gear you sell (Grimm, Weiss, Grand Prix, Cessaro, etc.) would agree with that statement......and wonder if they consider themselves cable agnostics too? and if they made cable design choices based on voicing or related processes and then how you would view that and reconcile the conflict.

hard to imagine that the Cessaro designer thinks that which cables are used inside his speakers essentially don't really matter. i'd guess he has done his listening homework before any cable gets to be included in his design.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have heard this system with ALL Stealth cables and with ALL Purist Audio Design both top of the line cables both system sounded very good BUT different wich one was better ????? depends on your taste my friend prefered the Purist Audio Design and it was HIS 38k worth of cables.

Elrocco 01.jpg Elrocco 09.jpg Elrocco 06.jpg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Every cable is transparent unless you deliberately engineer it not to be , ie deliberately high capacitance.

I suspect it is the opposite. The engineering comes in how to make the cable transparent between the source and sink.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I personally reject (like PA's statement that burn in is nonsense) all "absolutist" statements.

But then again, I'm an atheist. :)

I agree. Absolute statements about audio are absolutely absurd.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Isn't a listening test subjective?

If a cable is "burned in" after a certain amount of use then couldn't that condition be measured scientifically?

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Power Cables need to be burn in good for two weeks 24/7, hooked up to a high velocity fan to hear their full potential...:p :D

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
336 hours of break in? :eek:

I believe in the need for "break in" but ......................

Again, an "absolutist" statement that's impossible to quantify.

And hooked up to a high velocity fan nonetheless.

Woof.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

my experience as far as time to 'break in' has had mostly to do with the gauge/size of the cable. my Evolution Acoustics TRSC (triple run speaker cable) and TRPC (triple run power cable) continued to improve for 10 days-2 weeks of continuous time on the Audiodharma Cable Cooker . and the Cable Cooker is much more time effective (and ultimately more performance effective) than music only.

those triple run cables are the heaviest cables I know about. so that is an extreme case.

lighter/smaller gauge wire seems to take quite a bit less time, as short as one or two days for phono cables.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Burn-in: The time it takes for your ears to become accustomed to what your system sounds like.

Warm-up: I'll give you an hour if you kept your components in a cold garage in February and are waiting for them to come up to normal operating temperature.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Burn-in: The time it takes for your ears to become accustomed to what your system sounds like.
Hello, Gary. Unless you are being sarcastic, we will have to agree to disagree on that one sir. Perhaps to the untrained listener and perhaps to a certain extent to the trained listener but............

Tom

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Warm-up: I'll give you an hour if you kept your components in a cold garage in February and are waiting for them to come up to normal operating temperature.

+1 on the Burn-in.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From the Keithley "Nanotechnology Measurement Handbook" (for those who do not know, I should add Keithley is not an high end manufacturer ...) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keithley.com%2Fknowledgecenter%2Fknowledgecenter_pdf%2FNanotechHandbook_1.pdf&ei=I66qVOWWE4TyUsmGgJAD&usg=AFQjCNGN5UhSAo6spUq5pgDO-y5GE5wXLg&sig2=AtVQxyWUZ00UUGouQmJqnA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24

I have been using their instruments and manuals for more than three decades.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 132

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

Again, an "absolutist" statement that's impossible to quantify.

And hooked up to a high velocity fan nonetheless.

Woof.

If you just hook up your new power cable to your gear and let it burn-in...with some power cables, it takes 500 hours or more to break-in really good !

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I remember driving from Boston to Chicago to pick up my speakers. They were in crates in the back of my pick up truck for two days in February during the return drive. Once I got them un-crated and into the listening room, I noticed that the aluminum baffles were very cold to the touch. They did not warm up to room temperature for at least eight hours. I did not hook up the speakers to run a signal through them for at least twelve hours. I would practice the same caution with electronics.

With my Pass amps, I notice that they sound better after about an hour of warm up. Four hours are even better. I usually take them out of stand by mode an hour or two before listening.

Others may do things differently.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Just for giggles, why don't you and PA give it a try and tell us what you hear. ;)

PS: To make this test relatively simple, put some "critical" interconnects (amp / preamp or source / preamp) in the fridge for a few hours or perhaps some power cords assuming they are detachable. Pull them out for an hour, reinstall, and listen immediately thereafter.

Better yet, replicate the above with your CDP if you have one.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With my Pass amps, I notice that they sound better after about an hour of warm up. I usually take them out of stand by mode an hour or two before listening.

Same here with my Pass amp.

And recommended by the "man" himself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing