Xs preamp

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Just installed the XS Pre. It's been plugged in for an hour and the XP30 is going back in the box. No need for a/b repeated comparisons. Initial impressions:
Music has more body, frequency extremes more extended, articulate and refined. I can't wait for it to settle in after a couple days...

Hello Christian,

How is your Pass Xs Preamp sounding now compared to XP30?
Thanks,

VPN

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
PeterA, the xs amps are coming soon... not sure yet when...

i use siltech cables thruout my system. just added recently the triple-crown i/cs from dac to preamp, and from preamp to amps......

to my ears, the xs pre sounds very tuby and wholesome.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
The Pass Labs XS Preamp is truly amazing in all regards , it replaced my 5 year old Ayre KX-R .

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
This you might find interesting, use of the remote control on Pass Labs XS Preamp . Surprising there are no ill effects in sound quality , using the remote to change volume levels. I found this not to be the case with my old Ayre KX-R preamp. Use of the remote , turned on the display added a bit of haze to the music mix. The effect was very noticeable .... remote stayed in the drawer.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
This you might find interesting, use of the remote control on Pass Labs XS Preamp . Surprising there are no ill effects in sound quality , using the remote to change volume levels. I found this not to be the case with my old Ayre KX-R preamp. Use of the remote , turned on the display added a bit of haze to the music mix. The effect was very noticeable .... remote stayed in the drawer.

That IS interesting. So when you used the remote on the KX-R and it caused the display to turn on, did it not turn off a second or so later and with it the haze?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Yes, the haze did fade away after the display turned off. Using the volume controls directly on the Ayre preamp did Not introduce any noticeable haze to the music.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yes, the haze did fade away after the display turned off. Using the volume controls directly on the Ayre preamp did Not introduce any noticeable haze to the music.

Thanks, Sammy. There are a number of manufacturers who claim adding a remote control function degrades the sound. While I'm sure it depends on the exact implementation, this seems to be an example of one that isn't ideal.

Enjoy your XS. It's a fantastic preamp.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
MadFloyd, how much do you like your XS Phono stage?

A lot. It's like the XP-25 on steroids. Detail is incredible all throughout. Bass is deeper and clearer. Layers of separation for complex music is fantastic. As you would expect for something that costs 3-4x.

That said, I'm selling all my Pass XS gear (I own the XS-150's as well) as I want to try tubes and can't afford to keep everything.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Tubes??.... Ypsilon , preamp, and phono Would be one of my picks . Power amps stick with Pass labs . How much for the XS Phono?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A lot. It's like the XP-25 on steroids. Detail is incredible all throughout. Bass is deeper and clearer. Layers of separation for complex music is fantastic. As you would expect for something that costs 3-4x.

That said, I'm selling all my Pass XS gear (I own the XS-150's as well) as I want to try tubes and can't afford to keep everything.

I want your XS Phono (and your M-Pros; after all, you are getting S7s - a much better speaker Ian, isn't that true)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I want your XS Phono (and your M-Pros; after all, you are getting S7s - a much better speaker Ian, isn't that true)

Heh heh. Speaking of Magico, I heard your next speaker this past Saturday, ack - it was VERY impressive.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Heh heh. Speaking of Magico, I heard your next speaker this past Saturday, ack - it was VERY impressive.

Yeah I read your report, thanks for that; it's got everyone's juices flowing. What a great PR for Magico, to host this event - they are thinking out of the box, unlike my other favorite electronics vendor, out in Sunnyvale

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014

don't sell xs'
that would most certainly be a faux pas.
add the tubes and keep it all for mad combos, according to music being played.
can't afford?
sell a spare car, some scotch, or something.
sell magico and get clx or kaiser kawero or alexia, but don't sell pass.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
don't sell xs'
that would most certainly be a faux pas.
add the tubes and keep it all for mad combos, according to music being played.
can't afford?
sell a spare car, some scotch, or something.
sell magico and get clx or kaiser kawero or alexia, but don't sell pass.

Probably sage advice about the Pass XS, but can't agree with you on Magico. Mine aren't going anywhere. And as for the Alexia, already been there and done that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks, Sammy. There are a number of manufacturers who claim adding a remote control function degrades the sound. While I'm sure it depends on the exact implementation, this seems to be an example of one that isn't ideal.

As you say it depends on the implementation. IMHO adding a step motor with a belt and a controller that is not powered when the volume is not being actuated, as done by manufacturers such as Atmasphere or Ayre, will not affect sound quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing