Taiko Audio Extreme DC Power Distributor

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It seems that the cables have come from Shanghai.
By the way, in about ten to 10 if there are no new delays, I'm waiting for another cable……

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
IMG_0601.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've had issues with some DC connectors. Some are shorter, other tend to pop out easily from the DC distributor or the router. These seem to stay better secured:
But they are designed for coaxial wire and not as easy to solder to it as some others
I've had problems with some cables falling out easily as well. Most of the time, it's that the supplied connectors for DC cables (typically Oyaide) have an excessive number of O-ring grommets on them when you receive them from the vendor (in my case, Ghent). These are generally stacked and easily removable individually. If you remove some, the cable plugs into its receptacle more deeply and securely for a tighter fit. For Taiko gear and with Oyaide DC cable termination, the number of grommets that seem to work well is 2 as shown here in this picture for the Viborg connectors recommended by Nenon. (BTW I've been a fan of Viborg connectors for quite a while, most notably for their AC power cable terminations which are offered in numerous metals (i.e copper, gold, silver, rhodium). They are beautifully made, especially their top of the line with aluminum housings, much like Furutechs, but are far less costly.)

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 1.12.48 PM.png

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
(BTW I've been a fan of Viborg connectors for quite a while, most notably for their AC power cable terminations which are offered in numerous metals (i.e copper, gold, silver, rhodium).

Would you mind sharing your preferences / impressions on those? Assume either copper or silver would be your favourites of those 4?

Reactions: oldmustang

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Would you mind sharing your preferences / impressions on those? Assume either copper or silver would be your favourites of those 4?
I'm not quite sure how to respond. I've used many notable AC terminations and for overall construction quality, Furutech, Oyaide and Viborg are all excellent, particularly for the non-plastic housings I prefer. The main benefit of the Viborg is their very modest cost, but their quality and fit and finish is on par with Furutech IMO. Now, as far as metallurgy and what metal contacts I prefer, that's a bit more complicated. In short, I prefer to avoid the so called "battery effect" due to the use of different metals and.or platings that have markedly different electronegativity charges. The concept of minimizing a "battery effect" using metals with different electronegativity is not new as I discussed in more detail here:

The lesson I learned in testing different cable terminations and metal platings in receptacles is that the most pleasing results not only depend on the metal used in the cable end, but also and perhaps most importantly, the metal used in whatever is receiving that cable end. I don't know why, but this is typically ignored by hobbyists. There is often an inherent advantage if the male termination of the male end of a 15-P cable is the same metal as the IEC connector that receives it. For example, I have tried several power cables for the Taiko Extreme. In doing so, I learned from Emile that the IEC chassis termination used an Oyaide 004 fitting which comprises contacts made of beryllium copper which is then plated with platinum (.5 micron) and then a final Palladium plating (0.3 micron). (Oyaide believes the combination of the polishing processes, platings, and thicknesses of platings ultimately leads to the final sound character.) Therefore I chose an Oyaide 004 connector for the IEC end of my custom cable. If Emile voiced the Extreme using an Oyaide 004 IEC connector, it made sense to me to use the same as using identical connectors will assure no battery effect between the metals when they coincide.You might say it's sort of a "why fight City Hall" approach, but works for me. The other end of the cable is another story. I use Shunyata CopperConn AC receptacles. They are made of solid copper that is nickel flashed to prevent corrosion (which occurs more readily with pure copper). No such identical male cable termination is available (as far as I know), so what to do?. The termination I therefore chose for the male end of my cable is Viborg's VM502S silver-plated copper since the mating of silver and nickel has a very low anodic index (which is the prerequisite for minimal battery effect).

(BTW, here's a nice secret I discovered by accident. Oyaide male plug and IEC plug inserts fit perfectly in Viborg housings, but are incompatible with Furutech plug housings. Thus I can order an Oyaide 004 male connector in an inexpensive plastic housing, and use the far superior Viborg aluminum housing at a far lower cost than using the uber expensive Oyaide F1 connector that uses the same 004 plug insert.)

I try to match (optimize?) every cable with every termination throughout my system but sometimes it isn't easy. The problem is that you often don't know what metal a manufacturer is using for any connector whether it is a signal termination (female RCA, XLR) or an IEC chassis termination. I wish all manufacturers were are forthright as Emile in describing the manufacturer or metallurgy used in their connector fittings. Many will share that info if you ask; some will not (as if it's rocket science or some great military secret).

Lastly, I was asked for my "impressions" for the metals I use for a given cable, but I think that is an invitation to go down a sonic rabbit hole of subjective descriptors that I'd rather avoid and more importantly, may not be generalizable from system to system. It's reasonable however to assume that when I mate connectors made with different metals, I pay attention by trying to use combinations with a low anodic index, hence battery effect, because that seems to give me the most pleasing sonic results in the end.

Last edited:

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I bought a WEISS Engineering PSU linear 230/12V power supply to take place of the small transfo delivered with the Switch and ... music improved so much that I was not prepared to ear much more dynamics, more refined tones, and a capacity to resolve details on metallic instruments (experimental music) that is absolutely stunning. This is a very good solution that will probably be bettered by a TAIKO power supply with batteries

I have the Weiss PSU 102 and it's stunning.

I wouldn't automatically assume it would be bettered by a Taiko battery supply.

In fact, I would wager the Weiss is going to be hard to beat.

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I have the Weiss PSU 102 and it's stunning.

I wouldn't automatically assume it would be bettered by a Taiko battery supply.

In fact, I would wager the Weiss is going to be hard to beat.
Probably battery is better, but only try could tell. Also PSU is so good to power my TAIKO DC that I will not jump to battery for some time. Also despite what WEISS tell, PSU 102 is much better with a very good power cable. I use PRANAWIRE MahaSamadhi Lightspeed Bocchino IEC and the difference is really impressive in terms of resolution, naturalness, dynamics and soundstage. I precise that this cable do not enhance only PSU but at the front of the line PSU-TAIKO DC-TAIKO SWITCH, it's a way or extreme purity.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I'm not quite sure how to respond. I've used many notable AC terminations and for overall construction quality, Furutech, Oyaide and Viborg are all excellent, particularly for the non-plastic housings I prefer. The main benefit of the Viborg is their very modest cost, but their quality and fit and finish is on par with Furutech IMO. Now, as far as metallurgy and what metal contacts I prefer, that's a bit more complicated. In short, I prefer to avoid the so called "battery effect" due to the use of different metals and.or platings that have markedly different electronegativity charges. The concept of minimizing a "battery effect" using metals with different electronegativity is not new as I discussed in more detail here:

The lesson I learned in testing different cable terminations and metal platings in receptacles is that the most pleasing results not only depend on the metal used in the cable end, but also and perhaps most importantly, the metal used in whatever is receiving that cable end. I don't know why, but this is typically ignored by hobbyists. There is often an inherent advantage if the male termination of the male end of a 15-P cable is the same metal as the IEC connector that receives it. For example, I have tried several power cables for the Taiko Extreme. In doing so, I learned from Emile that the IEC chassis termination used an Oyaide 004 fitting which comprises contacts made of beryllium copper which is then plated with platinum (.5 micron) and then a final Palladium plating (0.3 micron). (Oyaide believes the combination of the polishing processes, platings, and thicknesses of platings ultimately leads to the final sound character.) Therefore I chose an Oyaide 004 connector for the IEC end of my custom cable. If Emile voiced the Extreme using an Oyaide 004 IEC connector, it made sense to me to use the same as using identical connectors will assure no battery effect between the metals when they coincide.You might say it's sort of a "why fight City Hall" approach, but works for me. The other end of the cable is another story. I use Shunyata CopperConn AC receptacles. They are made of solid copper that is nickel flashed to prevent corrosion (which occurs more readily with pure copper). No such identical male cable termination is available (as far as I know), so what to do?. The termination I therefore chose for the male end of my cable is Viborg's VM502S silver-plated copper since the mating of silver and nickel has a very low anodic index (which is the prerequisite for minimal battery effect).

(BTW, here's a nice secret I discovered by accident. Oyaide male plug and IEC plug inserts fit perfectly in Viborg housings, but are incompatible with Furutech plug housings. Thus I can order an Oyaide 004 male connector in an inexpensive plastic housing, and use the far superior Viborg aluminum housing at a far lower cost than using the uber expensive Oyaide F1 connector that uses the same 004 plug insert.)

I try to match (optimize?) every cable with every termination throughout my system but sometimes it isn't easy. The problem is that you often don't know what metal a manufacturer is using for any connector whether it is a signal termination (female RCA, XLR) or an IEC chassis termination. I wish all manufacturers were are forthright as Emile in describing the manufacturer or metallurgy used in their connector fittings. Many will share that info if you ask; some will not (as if it's rocket science or some great military secret).

Lastly, I was asked for my "impressions" for the metals I use for a given cable, but I think that is an invitation to go down a sonic rabbit hole of subjective descriptors that I'd rather avoid and more importantly, may not be generalizable from system to system. It's reasonable however to assume that when I mate connectors made with different metals, I pay attention by trying to use combinations with a low anodic index, hence battery effect, because that seems to give me the most pleasing sonic results in the end.
I agree to this explanation. I just add that OYAIDE is the best I tried but if OYAIDE 004 is great, OYAIDE M1 and F1 are exactly the same, save that M1 use a metallic male plug housing and the sound is much better than P004 (and better vs all I tried before from FURUTECH to exotic brands). Only SILENT SOURCE heavy housing was on par. For sur the very best is Bocchino mut in Europe only Santa Maria IEC could be use.
I will receive my SGM within 2 weeks, I will report my findings about power cables, mainly I will use PRANAWIRE ARHAT Lightspeed Bocchino. This is not berrylium plating () but this too heavy, expensive IEC is the very best for all application I use from DAC, preamp, transformers, and of course amplifiers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing