Xs preamp

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Joe, it is excellent. A true jump in performance from the XP30. More of everything including one of my very desirable traits in a component, soundstage definition. Great in combination with the Xs300. At this point, I can't imagine it getting any better.

Congratulations Frank. The system must be sounding incredible. You aren't missing that "tube magic" from your flirtation with ARC? Seriously, with SS components like the Pass XS series, in broad general terms, is there anything that tubes do that this generation of SS misses? Do you miss anything that that top-tier ARC REF 10 gear did relative to the XS Pre?

I've now had both the XP25 and XP30 in my system for a couple of weeks and I have to say that both are better than the XOno and XP20 that I use, but the differences are subtle. I guess the real improvements in performance come with the XS level which is quite a leap in price.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Surprisingly good. It has only been on for an hour at this point and it was literally ice cold. It's only 30 degrees here right now.

Frank,

I can imagine that your system sounds great, as I have experienced the TheSonusfaber more than once in its greatness. But I can not stop thinking how would a DCS Vivaldi sound in your system. ;) The Vivaldi (and the Metronome Kalista/C2A) were the only systems that in my humble and limited experience could make great speakers such as yours really shine in digital. I am going to plagiarize the reviewers, as I can not find better words to express it, but the density of information presented by these very top digital systems made me vacillate in the analog versus digital field more than once. IMHO the high price and the volatility of the investment in digital equipment due to its fast evolution is keeping us away of enjoying the full power of our systems.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Frank,

...I can not stop thinking how would a DCS Vivaldi sound in your system. ;) The Vivaldi (and the Metronome Kalista/C2A) were the only systems [with] the density of information [that] made me vacillate in the analog versus digital field more than once. IMHO the high price and the volatility of the investment in digital equipment due to its fast evolution is keeping us away of enjoying the full power of our systems.

+1. I know little of vinyl...I will say after years of listening to a $50 DVD player as my source (and before that a boombox cd player with an RCA line out)...I stepped up to the Zanden DAC...and after 5 years of trying to get computer servers to convince me...I broke down and got the Zanden Transport (both second hand fortunately)...and I cannot say enough good things about this. The best statement is that since then, while I have done a few system tweaks in terms of isolation/grounding (and a lot of work providing isolation for each of the Zanden boxes with NOS tubes, tube dampers)...my CD collection has gone from 500 CDs to just under 2000, and I listen to all them all the way thru with no channel flipping.

As crazy as I thought it would be for years (hence my $50 DVD player for nearly 10 years), I am thrilled beyond all expectations.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Frank,

I can imagine that your system sounds great, as I have experienced the TheSonusfaber more than once in its greatness. But I can not stop thinking how would a DCS Vivaldi sound in your system. ;) The Vivaldi (and the Metronome Kalista/C2A) were the only systems that in my humble and limited experience could make great speakers such as yours really shine in digital. I am going to plagiarize the reviewers, as I can not find better words to express it, but the density of information presented by these very top digital systems made me vacillate in the analog versus digital field more than once. IMHO the high price and the volatility of the investment in digital equipment due to its fast evolution is keeping us away of enjoying the full power of our systems.

You should try a Tentation Micro. Don't let the comparatively low price and simple looks fool you. It has got density and dimensionality in spades. Its the first CDP that allowed me to switch comfortably back and forth between LPs and CDs. It's been a godsend for guys like me whose budgets are more skewed towards the analog end.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
You should try a Tentation Micro. Don't let the comparatively low price and simple looks fool you. It has got density and dimensionality in spades. Its the first CDP that allowed me to switch comfortably back and forth between LPs and CDs. It's been a godsend for guys like me whose budgets are more skewed towards the analog end.

Tentation Micro? Google comes up dry... can you shed some more light on this, Jack?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Eera Tentation :) Micro is Microstrip :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Tentation Micro? Google comes up dry... can you shed some more light on this, Jack?

Robert is a member here. Also Albert von Schweikert did at last look bring the CD player into this country.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So Frank, one whole month now. Did the XS get even better after settling in some?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
So Frank, one whole month now. Did the XS get even better after settling in some?

I'm very happy with the Xs pre amp Jack. The detail, dimension and overall presentation of the music in combination with the Xs300s is more than I could have ever hoped for. I really liked the ARC Ref10 pre amp and Ref 10 phono pre and as a combination I believe there was a bit more there when listening to vinyl vs the Xs pre and XP25 phono. I'm sure the difference is the Ref 10 phono vs the XP25. The XP25 is very good but doesn't measure up to the Ref 10 Phono overall. The Ref 10 preamp and Xs are very comparable with the Xs putting a little more meat on the bone. I'm looking forward to getting a listen to the Xs Phono when it comes out some time in 2014. I've become a full fledged Pass Labs fan boy.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm very happy with the Xs pre amp Jack. The detail, dimension and overall presentation of the music in combination with the Xs300s is more than I could have ever hoped for. I really liked the ARC Ref10 pre amp and Ref 10 phono pre and as a combination I believe there was a bit more there when listening to vinyl vs the Xs pre and XP25 phono. I'm sure the difference is the Ref 10 phono vs the XP25. The XP25 is very good but doesn't measure up to the Ref 10 Phono overall. The Ref 10 preamp and Xs are very comparable with the Xs putting a little more meat on the bone. I'm looking forward to getting a listen to the Xs Phono when it comes out some time in 2014. I've become a full fledged Pass Labs fan boy.

Do you think you prefer the Ref10 Phono because it is tubes (vs solid state)? I imagine that the Ref10 phono had a more 3D presentation?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Do you think you prefer the Ref10 Phono because it is tubes (vs solid state)? I imagine that the Ref10 phono had a more 3D presentation?

I think it's just a better phono stage and should be for 3x the price. Definitely more 3D and more information between the lines. Kind of like the Ref 10 pre compared to the XP30. The Xs pre amp is every bit the equal of the Ref 10 in soundstage and overall presentation and in some cases bests it, IMO. Certainly not a slam on the XP 30 and 25 though, the Ref 10 pair from ARC are exceptional.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I could imagine with some judicious tube rolling, the ARC REF 10 and ARC preamps in general could be even better.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I could imagine with some judicious tube rolling, the ARC REF 10 and ARC preamps in general could be even better.

Exactly which tubes would you roll??

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Exactly which tubes would you roll??

I hope my friend Mike will see this and tell us which tubes he changed on his REF PH2SE, but he is much happier now with his phono preamp. I am not familiar enough with the newer ARC gear to say exactly.

Sorry for the off topic responses.

Frank I am glad you are happy and hope the hear the new Pass Xs preamp and XA.8 amps next year.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I thought rolling arc was not recommended. Their hand picked tubes are best.

IMO - the stock tubes are not the best sounding. I transformed my REF2SE with 6H30P-DR's and a Winged-C 6550. The stock tubes won't see the light of day again. The sound is still detailed, fast and dynamic, but with a much greater since of dimensionality and simply, fuller and richer.

I seriously believe that after rolling the tubes, the ARC REF2SE could take on any and all phono stages.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought rolling arc was not recommended. Their hand picked tubes are best.

I asked that 'question' because there really aren't tubes to be rolled so to speak. It's like going into a Chinese barber shop and picking out the bowl you want used to cut your hair.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing