WTB:Riccardo Kron 5U4G

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Out of interest Denis, how many hours has your RK had now?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Out of interest Denis, how many hours has your RK had now?

Hi Paul.

It had zero hour when I made the comparison against the Lampizator Anniversary early this morning. I have been listening to vinyl all day since this morning (awful rainy day so I had to cancel my usual Saturday bike run). After more than 10 yours of continious listening, the RK is still improving. I have been using the Tenor Audio power amp and with the RK in the loop, I get the same kind of slam I usually have with the Krells.

Kind regards,

Denis

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Thanks Denis, it's good to know that the RK improves on the Anni already, Franc reckons 100-200 hrs for full performance to evolve, so you probably have plenty more to come. Interesting remark about slam comparing to your Krells, let's see how this develops over time.. Do keep us posted every so often, Ked will be keen to hear about it now too ;)

Btw, similar weather here in England, not a bike day for sure!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I have KR 5u4g 2016( call it KR 2016 later) and RK 2018 for Pacific, I used Ayon recti in my Ayon Crossfire 3 for a few years, since over 1 year replaced with EML 5u4g mesh.
Another EML waits for tests in Pacific.
I would say - I still wait for the clear view , all depends on power tubes in Pacific and preferred type of presentation.
For time being I use in Pacific KR 2016 together with standard Psvane 101D with ceramic white base and this is the most transparent sound I have heard from Pac until now.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So the KR or RK don't work that well in the cross fire?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
So the KR or RK don't work that well in the cross fire?
Never tried KR recti in my Ayon, I will wait until Christoph try first;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Why don't you, tang already tried on his Ayon amps. Worth checking if he is right as today he is isn't

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Thanks Denis, it's good to know that the RK improves on the Anni already, Franc reckons 100-200 hrs for full performance to evolve, so you probably have plenty more to come. Interesting remark about slam comparing to your Krells, let's see how this develops over time.. Do keep us posted every so often, Ked will be keen to hear about it now too ;)

Btw, similar weather here in England, not a bike day for sure!

Yesterday evening, before going to bed, I fired up the mighty Krells so they would be fully warmed up by this morning. It just confirms my findings from yesterday with the Tenor Audio power amp. With the RK, I get the best bass and slam I have ever had with vinyl. The MoFi reissues of the Cars’ albums never sounded better than today.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Interesting Denis, I wonder how the specs differ between the two rectifiers. I have been using an Ayon mesh plate along with with the KR, which do differ but both excellent as you know, so it looks like the RK series will be invited to join the family soon too..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
And the winner is...

Without any hesitation. The Riccardo Kron provides a wider soundstage, more depth and a better image definition.

The Lampizator Anniversary becomes my spare rectifier.
surprise, surprise ;):cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm reluctant to mutilate my RK rectifiers :oops:
Don't you want to go first, Marslo? :rolleyes:

Reactions: marslo

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have KR 5u4g 2016( call it KR 2016 later) and RK 2018 for Pacific, I used Ayon recti in my Ayon Crossfire 3 for a few years, since over 1 year replaced with EML 5u4g mesh.
Another EML waits for tests in Pacific.
I would say - I still wait for the clear view , all depends on power tubes in Pacific and preferred type of presentation.
For time being I use in Pacific KR 2016 together with standard Psvane 101D with ceramic white base and this is the most transparent sound I have heard from Pac until now.
Have you tried the 242 again in the Pacific?
I know you didn't like the 242 in the GG but maybe it is worth a try in the Pac?
What other output tubes you have on hand to try?
We didn't like 101d tennisballs one bit. They where just so much behind the other tubes we had on hand :eek:

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I have not 242 , tried them in my B7 and because of to high gain sended them back.
I am also surprised with standard 101D but it was Lukasz who suggested them in my Pac after having improved the power supply of the Amanero board and the clock in my unit.
Will roll slowly other tubes and will see, those 101D with KR 2016 have the least « tubey « sound of all tubes I tried, classical with them is impressive, as well as native dsd.
And one of my RK 300 B purchased in March failed , so I have to find new set of tubes, I won’t purchase them again until the issue is solved by KR Audio.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have not 242 , tried them in my B7 and because of to high gain sended them back.
I am also surprised with standard 101D but it was Lukasz who suggested them in my Pac after having improved the power supply of the Amanero board and the clock in my unit.
Will roll slowly other rubes and will see, those 101D with KR 2016 have the least « tubey « sound of all tubes I tried, classical with them is impressive, as well as native dsd.
And one of my RK 300 B purchased in March failed , so I have to find new set of tubes, I won’t purchase them again until the issue is solved by KR Audio.
At our big DAC and Tubes compare at my place, we all (4 pair of experienced ears) really liked the KR PX25 the best in the Pacific.
Maybe you could borrow a pair to see if you like them as well.
For us, in the Pacific, the PX25 delivered pure Magic :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I used Ayon recti in my Ayon Crossfire 3 for a few years, since over 1 year replaced with EML 5u4g mesh.
Was your Crossfire 3 initially delivered with the Ayon 5u4g rectifier or with a rather small EH recti?

I bought my Crossfire 3 from Brad and he got the Ayon rectifier later and said the Ayon recti is quite a considerable jump over the small EH recti, so I never reinserted the EH.

But after our findings in the Lampi DAC where we all preferred the KR rectifiers, I'm really curious to try one of the KRs in the Crossfire 3.
If only the Crossfire could house the KR rectis without that surgery. This fact really makes me reluctant to try the KR recti :confused:

One other question: is the rectifier socket in your Crossfire 3 firm or does it wobble?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Was your Crossfire 3 initially delivered with the Ayon 5u4g rectifier or with a rather small EH recti?

I bought my Crossfire 3 from Brad and he got the Ayon rectifier later and said the Ayon recti is quite a considerable jump over the small EH recti, so I never reinserted the EH.

But after our findings in the Lampi DAC where we all preferred the KR rectifiers, I'm really curious to try one of the KRs in the Crossfire 3.
If only the Crossfire could house the KR rectis without that surgery. This fact really makes me reluctant to try the KR recti :confused:

One other question: is the rectifier socket in your Crossfire 3 firm or does it wobble?

The same here, I bought my Cross 3 in 2014 so Ayon recti was not available yet. If I am not mistaken I purchased it as an upgrade and used for 2-3 years, then the bulb became very dark , a spark appeared from time to time during operation and decided to replace it with EML 5u4G mesh bought with JAC music, so far so good.

For the socket I have to check out but I have the impression that is not firm enough.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
At our big DAC and Tubes compare at my place, we all (4 pair of experienced ears) really liked the KR PX25 the best in the Pacific.
Maybe you could borrow a pair to see if you like them as well.
For us, in the Pacific, the PX25 delivered pure Magic :D
This is what I intend to do , I hesitate between PX4 and PX 25 , the latter has higher gain and this is my only concern.
I was very happy with PX4 in my B7 with KR2016 , it's a versatile all-rounder.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is what I intend to do , I hesitate between PX4 and PX 25 , the latter has higher gain and this is my only concern.

Yes this is a concern sometimes with high efficiency speakers like yours. Worth trying though

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing