WTB:Riccardo Kron 5U4G

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I bought mine from Best300b.com which is associated with Lampizator (in Poland). Other than maybe buying directly from the factory, I don't know of any other retailer which carries the tubes. I assume you are talking about the Riccardo Kron Anniversary model Special Edition 2018 written on the base. Not cheap (399 Euros) but a great tube (I use it in my GG). There is the other KR 5U4G Anniversary version which has a plain white base (no writing) which is about 20% cheaper.

Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: RubenV.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
This tube is on my 'to get' list too..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
This tube is on my 'to get' list too..
The RK KR 5U4G is even better than the already excellent white ceramic base Lampi anniversary KR 5U4G ;)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Thanks Christoph, I have the Lampi anni white base, and the Ayon, both are truly excellent in my Allnic H3000, so the RK will be interesting to try too..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Funny you mention the huge Ayon 5u4g. I have that one as well and we tried it years ago and didn't like it too much.
Recently after Ked raved about the Ayon in conjunction with the RK KR 300b we thought we give the Ayon another try. Still no cigar.
We liked the regular Lampi KR anniversary 5u4g white base a LOT better and the RK version another bit better.
For me the Ayon even wasn't any better than his EML mesh 274b and 5u4g siblings coming from the same factory.
The RK KR 300b also liked both KR rectis better than the Ayon.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Ayon worked with the RK 300b recti in the GG. If I remember correctly you guys tried it in the Pac based on the shootout notes. It did not sound good with any other output valve. The one I have is completely different from the EML which I don't like as much as the KR, but sounds better than Ayon with other valves

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
First to get accustomed and to warm the other DACs and tubes, we listened quite a long time with my GG and tried every combo also for us to warm up.
After your raved about the Ayon recti with the RK 300b, I especially asked Norman to bring the RK 300b again and we eagerly tried this combo in my GG.
Same result. With the RK 300b, the KR 5u4g and even more so the RK KR 5u4g sounded much better to our ears

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, it works differently in Greg's system then, or in my GG

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have both the Lampi Anniversary and the Riccardo Kron. I am planning to make a detailed comparison on my Allnic H3000V in the coming weeks and will report back.

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tried the Anniversary replacing the Ayon in my Ayon Titan mono as Kedar suggested me. The sound was lighter, less planted, less grip. Just sounded different and did not feel like a plus to me. May be they just weren't burned in. A/B'ed them a few times in different occasions. Never had the patient so the Ayon's were always back in.

Tang :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Tried the Anniversary replacing the Ayon in my Ayon Titan mono as Kedar suggested me. The sound was lighter, less planted, less grip. Just sounded different and did not feel like a plus to me. May be they just weren't burned in. A/B'ed them a few times in different occasions. Never had the patient so the Ayon's were always back in.

Tang :)
I want to try other rectifiers in my Ayon Crossfire 3 amp as well but haven't got around so far. In Lampi DACs, the Ayon 5u4g recti always lost against KR anniversary and RK 5u4g by quite a bit margin...
I haven't much hope for another increase in sound quality after your experience though, dear Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I haven't much hope for another increase in sound quality after your experience though, dear Tang

There is no need to try further Christoph. You are an experienced a/b'er. Your words are good with me ;). I was not implying for you to try again. Same as when I tried the Red Sparrow in my system and couldnt get it to sound right in my system. So I sold it to the General who could make it sings beautifully in his system.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing