Wilson Sashas...

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Anyone have them yet? I'm about to place my order... Robert Harley's review comes out in TAS 204 (mails 28 June) although there's a paid-content preview online presently.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The question is have you heard the YG Acoustics Calrmel or the Evolution 2?

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
i heard them at a demo with Dave Wilson at a NYC Wilson dealer. I am not a Wilson owner, so my only experience has been in the sytsems of others. i thought they were a big improvement over the W/P, delivered great bass and performed very well (with a Spectral system)...i am sure you will enjoy them

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone have them yet? I'm about to place my order... Robert Harley's review comes out in TAS 204 (mails 28 June) although there's a paid-content preview online presently.

What exactly is a paid content preview?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Good question.

On the TAS Website, http://www.avguide.com/channel/the-absolute-sound some not-yet-released-in-print articles are available only as part of the "Golden Ear Club" which has a $50 membership fee, thus the notion paid preview content (although there's probably a better way to express it).

Just checking the Website this morning, the Sasha review by Robert Harley has been taken off the list on the front page Review section, but if you go here http://www.avguide.com/channel/the-absolute-sound/review you can see the listing and the requirement for being in the GEC to download it now.

Waiting until the print edition mails on the 28th of June will work for me; the article may be available for download on the Website at that time, or maybe not.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I meant to hear tne SASHA today. I got tired. Maybe next week.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Robert Harley's review comes out in TAS 204 (mails 28 June) although there's a paid-content preview online presently.

I am sure these will be great speakers, but i must lament that is very difficult to get anything objective out of RH on anything Wilson: As a teaser, here is his first paragraph:

"Few products I’ve encountered have struck me the way Wilson Audio’s Sasha loudspeaker has. This isn’t because Sasha delivers the best sound I’ve ever heard, but because it seems fully realized in every aspect of design and performance. Listening to the Sasha gives the impression that the last iota of musicality has been wrung from its component parts. Not only that, but the Sasha is beautifully balanced in presentation—it’s the antithesis of a speaker that’s freakishly great in one sonic area but mediocre or worse in others. Moreover, the Sasha is simply gorgeous to look at, even by Wilson standards. The subtle enclosure facets, new to the Sasha, endow this loudspeaker with visual grace and elegance. The Sasha is made even more compelling by its ability to deliver the sound of a big speaker in a relatively compact package, and by its exceedingly reasonable price."

like the boy that cried wolf, it is tough to read these serious, even when it might be a really great product.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would not call it gorgeous.

Attachments

• 20090522-wilsonau&#10.jpg
    20090522-wilsonau&#10.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 228

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
They may look a lot different in situ compared to a staged shot. Mine are going to be red and black, rather than avocado, which should help make them seem a little more organic.

Regarding the RH introduction, it's the first paragraph out of 1600 words, so let's see what follows. Robert has very, very good hearing. My belief is that what's being alluded to here is that the Sasha is coherent, integrated, and lacking "issues". There's nothing like "high end" gear that's SOTA except for several significant problems... He's also suggesting that there are much more expensive speakers that don't sound nearly as well, which I find very easy to believe.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You don't mind if I call you 'Nick? Beauty is in the eye the beholder. I really don't think of Wilson as SOTA. I do think he, for a price, has wrung everything you can out of a dynamic box speaker.
And if you get them in Steve Williams purple they will not look bad either.

Here is pretty and SOTA.

Attachments

• scaena-2..jpg
    scaena-2..jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 149

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Nick-You can relax. Art Dudleys review of the Sasha arrived yesterday in my copy of Stereophile Vol.33 No.7 July 2010. Art Dudley raves and gushes.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
You don't mind if I call you 'Nick? Beauty is in the eye the beholder. I really don't think of Wilson as SOTA. I do think he, for a price, has wrung everything you can out of a dynamic box speaker.
And if you get them in Steve Williams purple they will not look bad either.

Here is pretty and SOTA.

Should have the Scaenas in my room in a couple of weeks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Think so, just some details to work out.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yes

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Say hi to George for me....we go back a long time in NJ :)

Which sub configuration you going with?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Will do. 1 18" per side -- what they call the 3.2 config. Already have two JL 113s and the room isn't huge, will have to play around.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Wilson Sasha reviews...

@reginald... Any chance you could send me a PDF of the Stereophile Sasha review? It's not posted on their Website as far as I can tell, and same story for Robert Harley's review in TAS.

And here is Ed Kramer's review of his own pair, along with some useful test measurements:

http://www.avhub.com.au/ProductReview.aspx?MagazineID=5&ProductReviewID=483

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing