Zellaton: The End of My Speaker Journey

Audioarts

Industry Expert
Nov 22, 2023
New York City
As my first entry here on the forum, I would like to thank the members for a warm Zellaton welcome and of course to Mike for sharing his passion and beautiful system. Over the next few days, I will address the excellent inquiries above regarding the design impetus behind Zellaton's unique open baffle and driver methodology.

For now, I just wanted to share with you that I've actually been representing Zellaton in North America for 13 years, owing this enduring loyalty to a natural sound reproduction which keeps me playing record after record with the same excitement I had when introduced to high end audio at Lyric HiFi in NYC years ago; thanks to Mike Kay, knowing I was a penniless college student..., yet spending an (unreimbursed) generous hour with me, playing a pair of Infinity RS1B's powered by Futterman OTL's for the ribbons and Levinson's for the bass columns, not to mention a Goldmund Studio/T3F/Supex and Sequerra tuner contributing to the overall seduction. Years later, I still have goose bumps from that experience ;)

More to come!

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
HiFi: The History of High End Audio Design &
REVOLUTION: The History of Turntable Design
PHAIDON publications.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Very nice to have to have you here Gideon and looking forward to your posts. Very interested to know more about the new Ultra drivers as well and what sonic benefits they offer over the already excellent Classic range.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
As my first entry here on the forum, I would like to thank the members for a warm Zellaton welcome and of course to Mike for sharing his passion and beautiful system. Over the next few days, I will address the excellent inquiries above regarding the design impetus behind Zellaton's unique open baffle and driver methodology.

For now, I just wanted to share with you that I've actually been representing Zellaton in North America for 13 years, owing this enduring loyalty to a natural sound reproduction which keeps me playing record after record with the same excitement I had when introduced to high end audio at Lyric HiFi in NYC years ago; thanks to Mike Kay, knowing I was a penniless college student..., yet spending an (unreimbursed) generous hour with me, playing a pair of Infinity RS1B's powered by Futterman OTL's for the ribbons and Levinson's for the bass columns, not to mention a Goldmund Studio/T3F/Supex and Sequerra tuner contributing to the overall seduction. Years later, I still have goose bumps from that experience ;)

More to come!

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.

Hi Gideon, do you have any info, pricing etc on the new Reference Ultra you can share? Not finding anything online about their launch in Netherlands yesterday! Many thanks

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

More to come!

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.
Gideon, welcome!
I appreciate you taking time to pay homage to Mike Kaye, who to my mind was the Godfather of the modern Hi-End. As many of us know Mike generously shared his passion for music and sound a treasure trove of knowledge, many of whom like you carry on his legacy today.

Last edited:

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Absolute dream setup, congratulations. It is reassuring that there is an end to the journey of seeking absolute bliss where one can enjoy the music without any urge to modify the system. I feel like I am edging closer to that point and everything from here is very marginal even though my setup is hardly comparable to what you've got with the dedicated room and stellar reference equipment.

Audioarts

Industry Expert
Nov 22, 2023
New York City
Very nice to have to have you here Gideon and looking forward to your posts. Very interested to know more about the new Ultra drivers as well and what sonic benefits they offer over the already excellent Classic range.
Thanks so much for your questions. In terms of the Ultra range, Zellaton's attempt was to expand upon the Classic line's already excellent speed, electrostatic-like transparency and natural qualities. The new proprietary drivers employ their latest technology in creating an even lighter and stiffer membrane, going beyond the original sandwich foam substrate invented by Podsusz in the 1930s. The R&D that went into the new drivers took years and Zellaton is quite unique in manufacturing all of its drivers in house, including the tweeter which looks identical to the wideband midrange and woofers. This material consistency lends to a natural coherence which imo is quite unique to Zellaton and very engaging psycho-acoustically.
Supporting the new cones is a much more substantial chassis support frame using a heavy cast special alloy. Tesla and magnet sensitivity has also increased allowing for greater flexibility with low powered amps as well. Even the Plural line introduced greater sensitivity over the older Classic line.
Perhaps you may already know that Zellaton has worked very closely with Duelund in previous designs, sharing a room at the Munich High End show for many years now. For the Ultra series, Duelund collaborated very closely with Zellaton and provides the passive crossover components with tolerances <1%.
Both the cabinet material and construction has been reengineered, to maximize the potential of the new drivers.

Sadly, I was unable to attend the launch at Rhapsody in the Netherlands, so I have yet to hear the new Ultra series for myself. Although from what I understand, many Zellaton owners attended and reported that all the Classic line attributes have been preserved but noted much improved weight, dynamic pressure and tone color resulting in greater emotional and visceral engagement. My own sets are arriving in Spring but I plan on going to Munich soon to hear for myself and promise to report back!

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Thanks so much for your questions. In terms of the Ultra range, Zellaton's attempt was to expand upon the Classic line's already excellent speed, electrostatic-like transparency and natural qualities. The new proprietary drivers employ their latest technology in creating an even lighter and stiffer membrane, going beyond the original sandwich foam substrate invented by Podsusz in the 1930s. The R&D that went into the new drivers took years and Zellaton is quite unique in manufacturing all of its drivers in house, including the tweeter which looks identical to the wideband midrange and woofers. This material consistency lends to a natural coherence which imo is quite unique to Zellaton and very engaging psycho-acoustically.
Supporting the new cones is a much more substantial chassis support frame using a heavy cast special alloy. Tesla and magnet sensitivity has also increased allowing for greater flexibility with low powered amps as well. Even the Plural line introduced greater sensitivity over the older Classic line.
Perhaps you may already know that Zellaton has worked very closely with Duelund in previous designs, sharing a room at the Munich High End show for many years now. For the Ultra series, Duelund collaborated very closely with Zellaton and provides the passive crossover components with tolerances <1%.
Both the cabinet material and construction has been reengineered, to maximize the potential of the new drivers.

Sadly, I was unable to attend the launch at Rhapsody in the Netherlands, so I have yet to hear the new Ultra series for myself. Although from what I understand, many Zellaton owners attended and reported that all the Classic line attributes have been preserved but noted much improved weight, dynamic pressure and tone color resulting in greater emotional and visceral engagement. My own sets are arriving in Spring but I plan on going to Munich soon to hear for myself and promise to report back!

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.
Hi Gideon
Are you saying there will be an Ultra version of the Statement?

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.

Hi Gideon,
Many thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed and informative feedback. Seems like Michael and his team have come up something truly special that improves on the already excellent Classic drivers. The listening impressions from the launch indicate that the new speaker is going to be Ultra special!!!!! For me, Zellaton speakers have extraordinary coherence and naturalness that I haven't heard in any other dynamic speaker (and I have only heard them in Munich several years ago). I suspect all Zellaton speakers share these characteristics, including the Plural Evo. I am really looking forward to your listening impressions when you get to hear the new Ref Ultra at Zellaton with YS Sound amps. I am planning to hear them myself in the new year. Very exciting new speaker indeed!

Thanks again for the feedback.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Gideon Schwartz
www.audioartsnyc.com

Author of
PHAIDON publications.
Fascinating...will all the Classic Models be Ultra going forward?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing