Wilson Audio Celebrates 40 Years!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm not sure what the correct answer is but this is my thought

The grill cover cloths were attached to the speaker by velcro in series one and by 4 small round steel inserts, one at each corner of the grill cloth in series 2. The round steel plugs inserted into 4 corresponding holes in the speaker

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure what the correct answer is but this is my thought

The grill cover cloths were attached to the speaker by velcro in series one and by 4 small round steel inserts, one at each corner of the grill cloth in series 2. The round steel plugs inserted into 4 corresponding holes in the speaker

You were correct, Steve. However, we had a winner for this question 5 minutes after I posted it. They were QUICK! This next one is not as easy to answer ;)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 13!

Week 13 of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary Celebration. This week's Product Spotlight is:

***Duette Series 2***

Interesting Facts:

• Duette 2 started Shipping in June of 2013. As of today, we are on Serial Number 1482.

• Daryl Wilson (Dave Wilson's 3rd son) had 100% responsibility for the cross-over fine-tuning process of Duette Series 2 (Dave Wilson just listened to check off his work).

• This is Wilson Audio's first floor standing product that REQUIRES it to be up against a wall - no exceptions.

Trivia Question:

Daryl Wilson has a long history with Wilson Audio (his whole life essentially). He has worked in almost every department at Wilson Audio. Daryl transitioned to R&D in 2002. Today he is the New Product Development Manager in Wilson Audio's R&D team.

Q: What was the first product that Daryl had 100% responsibility for the cross-over fine-tuning process?

Duette Series 2.jpg

NOTE: The Wilson Audio "Crossover fine-tuning process" described a little more:

The crossover(s) for a product are first modeled in the virtual realm of a computer by Vern, where theoretically they should blend all the elements of a product together in musical bliss. However, this is never the case. Reality and complex interactions with real world environments can't be modeled to a 100% accuracy. From the first iteration of a crossover proposal to the final crossover used in production run products there is a lot of work fine-tuning the crossover component values, and the occasional topology refinement. We fine-tune each crossover component value down to a fraction of a percent to ensure the most natural sound is represented in our products. This is a meticulous process and is time-consuming, yet very sonically rewarding. Dave and Daryl work side-by-side on all products to fine-tune, or "voice," each and every crossover found in Wilson Audio products.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sophia 2?

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Jack, it's got to be the very pretty above pictured Duette Series 2, Debby just said so! I guess even if it looks like a large bookshelf, it's essentially a floor stander since it can't be used without its dedicated stands where, I believe, the speaker terminals and crossover are located.

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Jack, it's got to be the very pretty above pictured Duette Series 2, Debbie just said so! I guess even if it looks like a large bookshelf, it's essentially a floor stander since it can't be used without its dedicated stands where, I believe, the speaker terminals and crossover are located.

Dafos - Daryl DID do 100%* of the Cross-over voicing on the Duette, but that was NOT the FIRST one he had done 100% by himself.

*When I say he say "100%", this means that Daryl did all the voicing of the Cross-over (very long, time consuming part of the product development process). On Cross-overs that have been assigned to Daryl specifically - our father, David Wilson, will listen to it after Daryl feels it is done, and will approved Daryl's work or give recommendations. They work side-by-side when it comes to new product design, working towards the ultimate goal of each product, and final approval of all products.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Sorry to both jack and Debby, my bad! May I dare guess its the Sophia 3?

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Sorry to both jack and Debby, my bad! May I dare guess its the Sophia 3?

No need to be sorry! I am just happy you are having fun guessing! ;)

Sophia 3 - he had a LOT to do with that product, but it was not the first product he voiced 100%. There is only a handful that that Daryl voiced himself (although Daryl has a HUGE contribution to ALL products in all phases of development). My dad is involved a little more with the voicing of the cross over in the larger/more complex products.

PS You are not limited to any number of tries. Feel free to keep guessing :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
I'm going to say Sophia 1 which I believe was released in 2002

Not Sophia 1. That was launched in 2001 (before Daryl started working in R&D). Daryl started in R&D in 2002. It was a several years (4 or 5 years) before he was experienced enough for my father to hand over the reins to him to voice the cross over himself.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last guess and I'll give others a chance to win that signed cap :D Just kidding, if there was a prize it would be cool though. :D

Mezzo!

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Could it be the WP 8, which, IMO, was clearly an evolution of the WP sound that took a somewhat different direction starting from the WP 6?

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I am just going to guess my current speakers -- Alexandria 2

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WELL OF COURSE there is a prize! This year marks Wilson Audio's 40 anniversary. So, to help celebrate I do a weekly Product Spotlight. I do a trivia question with the product spotlight, and the 1st correct answer wins (Wilson t shirt, hat, or coasters, etc. ). So EVERY week I am giving something away! (Have already given out about 2 dozen things this year from trivia questions!) Looking into more things to give away. Open to ideas ;)

Ok, so the guesses of: X2, Duette 1, WP 8, and Mezzo - none of these are the correct answer. Keep trying! There have only been so many products brought out in the last 10 years ;)

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
If we are looking at speakers lauched after 2006/2007 and not the ones mentioned already, we are looking at Maxx 3 or Watch Center.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
WELL OF COURSE there is a prize! This year marks Wilson Audio's 40 anniversary. So, to help celebrate I do a weekly Product Spotlight. I do a trivia question with the product spotlight, and the 1st correct answer wins (Wilson t shirt, hat, or coasters, etc. ). So EVERY week I am giving something away! (Have already given out about 2 dozen things this year from trivia questions!) Looking into more things to give away. Open to ideas ;)

Ok, so the guesses of: X2, Duette 1, WP 8, and Mezzo - none of these are the correct answer. Keep trying! There have only been so many products brought out in the last 10 years ;)

ok, Polaris

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
So I would say Watch Center II because Maxx 3 xover network would be too complex.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
So I would say Watch Center II because Maxx 3 xover network would be too complex.

zbub, you are RIGHT!!! The WATCH Center Channel Series 2 was the first product that my dad gave Daryl the responsibility of doing 100% of the voicing in the crossover!

Listed below are all the Wilson Audio Products that Daryl Wilson has been directly involved in Wilson Audio's R&D department.

2002 WATT/Puppy 7 (START OF DARYL WORKING IN R&D)
2003 X2 Alexandria
2004 MAXX 2
2005 WATT/Puppy 8 : Duette : WATCH Dog (Passive) : X1 Level 5
2006 Sophia 2 : X2 Alexandria series 2
2007 Center 2 : Surround 2
2008 MAXX 3 : Thor's Hammer
2009 Sasha
2010 Sophia 3 : Polaris
2011 Center 3 : Mezzo : Wilson Audio Application Suite
2012 Alexandria XLF : Alexia
2013 Wilson Audiophile Recordings : Duette 2
2014 Sasha 2 : Mezzo Convergent Synergy

zbub - Send me an email to debby@wilsonaudio.com with your choice of prize. Choices this week are:
* Wilson Audio T-Shirt (let me know what size)
* Wilson Audio hat (choice between white and black)
* Wilson Audio Coasters (2 - let me know what color(s) you would like)

Thank you for your participation, everyone! Watch for the Product Spotlight with Trivia Question every MONDAY (changed it from Friday to Monday - give you guys something to look forward to on Monday this year ;) ). This will be going on the entire year (2014) in Celebration of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary. No better way of celebrating than giving out fun prizes :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing