Wilson Audio Celebrates 40 Years!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
That's right. Ultramaster by John Curl. It's in the liner note....

You are ON IT, zbub! Nicely done! We had another person correctly answer with the Ultramaster as well. I will check times to see who said it first :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 5 of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary Product Spotlight!

WEEK 5!! This week's Product Spotlight:

***Sophia Series 2***

Interesting Facts:
*There are just under 800 pair of Sophia 2's around the world

*Sophia 2's were in production from March 2005 to October 2011

*Sophia 2 won several awards including:

2008 - The Absolute Sound's Editor's Choice Award
2007 - The Absolute Sound's Editor's Choice Award
2007 - Hi Fi Review's Product of the Year
2006 - Audio Art's Best Performance of the Year
2005 - Audio Art's Best Performance of the Year

Trivia Question:
Q1: What is the name of David and Sheryl Lee Wilson's German Shepherd puppy? (someone already correctly answered the question - the answer is Sophia, of course ;) )

Sophia 2 poster.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 6 of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary Celebration! This week's Product Spotlight:

***WATCH Center Channel Series 1***

Interesting Facts:
*WATCH Center Channel Series 1 was introduced at T.H.E Show Las Vegas in 2000 where Wilson Audio had 3 rooms (one with X1 Grand SLAMM's with an XS using the Ultramaster for tape, a museum showing many of our products on static display, and the last room was a home theater set-up utilizing the WATCH Center Channel).

*First WATCH Center Channel Series 1 was shipped in February of 2000, and the last one shipped February of 2010 (even though the Series 2 was introduced and started shipping in Nov. of 2007)

*As our first center channel Wilson Audio offered, people used it with the full range of Wilson products. Everything from CUB all the way up to one customer in WY using one with their WAMMs!

*Series numbers for WATCH Center Channel Series 1 started at 001 and ending at 939.

Trivia Question:
Q1: What does "WATCH" stand for in WATCH Center Channel?

BONUS Question:
B1: What color was the WATCH Center Channel at THE Show Las Vegas in 2000?

watchcenter1.JPG

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have correct answers for both questions!

Q1: WATCH = "Wilson Audio Theater Comes Home"
B1: Candy Apple Red (I accepted "Deep Red")

Thanks for playing, guys!

Remember - product spotlight is every Friday, and there will always be at least 1 trivia question (first correct answer gets a prize!)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 7 of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary!! This weeks Product Spotlight is:

***WATT/Puppy Series 8***

Interesting Facts:

*The WATT/Puppy 8 started shipping in June of 2006, and last pair was shipped out May of 2009.

*There are more than 800 pair of WATT/Puppy around the world.

*The WATT/Puppy Series 8 won several awards including:

2007 Editor's Choice Award (TAS)
2007 Product of the Year (Stereophile)
2007 Outstanding Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Super AV)
2006 Best Audio System Sound (Hi Fi News Show)
2006 Grand Prix (Stereo Sound)
2006 Hall of Fame (Audio Video Revolution)
2006 Product of the Year (HiFi Review)

Trivia Question:

What magazine cover featured a blue WATT/Puppy Series 8?
Answer by giving: the name of the Magazine, month/year of the issue, and post a photo of the cover.

WP 8 poster.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We already have a winner for the WP Series 8 Trivia Question! I am thinking I should go back to making the questions more difficult :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 8 of Wilson Audio's 40th Year Anniversary

WEEK 8 of Wilson Audio's 40th Year Anniversary Celebration! This week's Product Spotlight is:

***Thor's Hammer***

Interesting Facts:

*Thor's Hammer started into production in May of 2008

*There are nearly 100 Thor's Hammers around the world today

*Thor's Hammer has received awards such as:

2012 - Best Performance of the Year (Prime AV)
2008 - Outstanding Subwoofer - Prestige (Super AV)

Trivia Question:

At Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2013, Wilson Audio did a demo with Alexandria XLF's and 2 Thor's Hammers. Lowell Graham, Retired USAF conductor who conducted in the recording of both Wilson Audiophile's "Winds of War and Peace" and "Center Stage", visited Wilson Audio's room a few times. He shared his experience when recording "Winds of War and Peace" - how they did it with no rehearsal, how they did it in only 1 take, etc.

Question: Lowell Graham gave an acronym: "M.O.D.". According to Lowell, what does "M.O.D." it stand for?

ThorsHammer1.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Already got the correct answer on Facebook. M.O.D. = Mallet of Death!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 9 of Wilson Audio's 40th Year Anniversary Celebration! This week's Product Spotlight is:

***WHOW (Wilson High Output Woofer)***

Interesting Facts:

*The WHOW had 3 Series throughout the 13 years Wilson Audio produced them (1989 - 2002)

*There was a powered and non-powered option for the WHOW. The non-powered version was called "WHOW-U" ("U" - Universal). The powered version was called "POW-WHOW". You also had the option to have it downward firing (looked like a table), or forward firing.

*The WHOW (downward firing version) was configured in a way and shape to also be used as a coffee table. Because of this, Wilson offered many different options for the top including: Wilsongloss finish, wood finish, and solid granite (granite was the best option if the WHOW was going to be used as a coffee table).

TRIVIA QUESTION:

The standard WAMM had 2 main towers along with 2 large sub towers. However, there was an option to use either 1 or 2 WHOW's instead of the large sub towers. This option had a name.

Q: What was the name of the option to substitute 1 or 2 WHOW's instead of 2 large sub towers in a WAMM system?

WHOW-226161640-0002.jpg

WHOW-226161035-0001.jpg

Below is a photo of my parent's theater room when we first moved to Provo UT in 1991. These days their theater has: MAXX 3's, Polaris, Thor's Hammer, and Sophia 3's for surrounds. They still have the WHOW in there, but I do not believe it is hooked up.

WHOW-226161641-0003.jpg

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WAMM Custom If I recall correctly

Nope. This question still has not been answered correctly. I will give a hint: was called the "WAMM S_" (gave it all to you minus 1 letter). Have fun!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
"WAMM SA" = Special Application

Yes! Nice work :) Finally have a winner! Email your address to me at debby@wilsonaudio.com. let me know if you would like a hat (white or black), or tshirt (what size), or Wilson coasters (2 - let me know what colors)

Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 11 of Wilson Audio's 40th Anniversary Celebration! This week's Product Spotlight is:

***WATT/Puppy 5/5.1***

Interesting Facts:

• There are over 2000 pair of Series 5/5.1's around the world! WATT/Puppy's started shipping in May of 1994, and the last one shipped in June of 1999.

• The WP 5.1 was used in professional settings including Lucasfilm Skywalker Ranch (shown in photo). They used the WP 5.1 in many blockbuster movies such as Academy Award-winning Jurassic Park and Titanic.

• The WATT/Puppy 5/5.1 won several awards including:

o 1994 – Best Sound at Show (Stereophile)
o 1995 – Best Sound at Show (Stereophile)
o 1995 – Best Speaker Design (Golden Note award – The Academy for the Advancement of the High End Audio)
o 1996 – Outstanding Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Super AV)
o 1996 – Best Speaker Design (Golden Note award – The Academy for the Advancement of the High End Audio)
o 1999 – Audio Product of the Year (AudioRevolution)
o 1999 – Loudspeaker of the Year (AudioRevolution)

Trivia Question:

What was the 1 change between the WATT/Puppy 5 and WATT/Puppy 5.1?

lucasfilm-install.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have a winner on Facebook! The answer was: Wilson Audio made Puppy Tail :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
View attachment 13222

It is only appropriate to kick off Wilson Audio's 40th anniversary product spotlight not only with the first speakers we built, but also to include the 2 wonderful people who brought them to you - David and Sheryl Lee Wilson!:

**WAMM Series 1**
WAMM photographed here was Serial Number 2 in a Walnut finish

INTERESTING FACTS:

* When the WAMM Debuted in 1981 the Series 1 WAMM sold for $28,000. It was the most expensive speaker at that time by $8,000. The second most expensive speakers at the time were the Infinity Reference Systems (IRS)

*There were 6 versions of the WAMM: Series 1, 2, 3A, 6, 7, and 7A

*Only 54 WAMM Systems were ever built

TRIVIA QUESTION!: (TRIVIA QUESTION WAS ANSWERED CORRECTLY ON FACEBOOK ALREADY, so no credit will be given for another correct answer)

Q: This photo was taken in November of 1981 at the WAMM debut. Where was the debut of the WAMM held?

** We threw in 2 BONUS questions, and they will be real brain ticklers (and non Google-able)**

These question come from my mom, Sheryl Lee Wilson. She has offered 2 original AUTOGRAPHED Wilson Audiophile CDs OR LPs as a prize to the FIRST person to answer correctly one or both questions correctly (1 CD or LP per first correct answer)

BQ #1 : At the WAMM debut in 1981 at John Garland Audio, Dave was asked many PURELY TECHNICAL questions. Sheryl, on the other hand, was only asked one question. What was that question Sheryl Lee was asked?

BQ #2 : What was the name of the person who asked the question to Sheryl Lee? (HINT: the person was a well-known speaker designer).

Hi Debby,

Belated anniversary congratulations! I was an eager audiophile since the 70s and while I heard about Wilson Watt and the Wamm I never came across one until I moved to the Far East in the late 80s. I even met your dad twice in HK on his trips there, once while working on a Wamm setup. Wilson and JBL were already the two prominent most prestigious brands in Asia and I never saw or heard one back home. I also know Ricardo from the time he started with Hi End business and his influence in the European arena for you. My question is early on how much of Wilson's success came from overseas markets compared to the US market? How is it today?
david

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
WEEK 12 of Wilson Audio’s 40th Anniversary Celebration! This week's Product Spotlight is:

***WATCH Center Channel Series 2***
(Photo - Debby Wilson's Theater room 2011)

Interesting Facts:

• Wilson Audio started shipping WATCH Center Series 2 in Nov of 2007, and the last one shipped in Nov of 2011. Over 200 units were shipped out in those 4 years.

• A few changes from the Center Series 1:

- New tweeter, New Mids, X-Over Change, Cabinet Material changes
- No longer used separate top plate
- Recessed diffraction pad with new pin style grills
- New style stand (Full aluminum bottom and top instead of X-Material with Aluminum plate that drops in)

• I (Debby) STILL use the Center Series 2 in my personal theater, and still love them! :D

Debby Wilson System Retouched.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have a winner already for WATCH Center Series 2 (on Facebook) - that was QUICK!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing