Wilson Audio Celebrates 40 Years!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are right! In fact, I believe you answered first before the others on Facebook! Email me at debby@wilsonaudio.com and let me know what you would like as a prize (T-shirt, Hat, or a couple coasters w/colors)

Thank you for participating!

Debby

Happy to know I was the first one to answer - I will email soon!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Happy to know I was the first one to answer - I will email soon!

Have you emailed me yet? Last week was crazy for me. I don't remember seeing anything from you.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 18's Product Spotlight & Trivia Question!

Week 18's Product Spotlight & Trivia question is:

***MAXX Series 1***

Interesting Facts:

• The MAXX was introduced in 1998. We started shipping them in July of 1998, and the last one shipped out in July of 2004.

• MAXX Series 1 won The Absolute Sounds "Golden Ear Award" in 2000, and The Audio Review named the MAXX (the product as a whole) #5 in "The 25 Ultimate Audiophile Speakers of All Time" (the WATT/Puppy / Sasha W/P was #1!)

• There are well over 200 pair of MAXX Series 1's around the world. While this is impressive for its price point, there are far more Series 2 (and also Series 3) MAXX's around the world compared to Series 1.

Trivia Question:

MAXX Series 1 was featured on the cover of Stereophile Magazine in the late 1990's. In order to get this question correct, you will need to do a few things (answers come from the same Stereophile issue mentioned above):

#1 - Post a photo of the cover of Stereophile featuring the MAXX Series 1

#2 - State what Month & Year this issue was along with the title of the MAXX article (title on the cover).

img-505132521-0001.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Trivia Question has been correctly answered! That took all of 9 minutes...

Here it is:

"MAXIMUM SOUND from Wilson's MAXX"

May 1999

img-505133029-0002.jpg

Big B

May 4, 2014
Week 18's Product Spotlight & Trivia question is:

***MAXX Series 1***

Interesting Facts:

• The MAXX was introduced in 1998. We started shipping them in July of 1998, and the last one shipped out in July of 2004.

• MAXX Series 1 won The Absolute Sounds "Golden Ear Award" in 2000, and The Audio Review named the MAXX (the product as a whole) #5 in "The 25 Ultimate Audiophile Speakers of All Time" (the WATT/Puppy / Sasha W/P was #1!)

• There are well over 200 pair of MAXX Series 1's around the world. While this is impressive for its price point, there are far more Series 2 (and also Series 3) MAXX's around the world compared to Series 1.

Trivia Question:

MAXX Series 1 was featured on the cover of Stereophile Magazine in the late 1990's. In order to get this question correct, you will need to do a few things (answers come from the same Stereophile issue mentioned above):

#1 - Post a photo of the cover of Stereophile featuring the MAXX Series 1

#2 - State what Month & Year this issue was along with the title of the MAXX article (title on the cover).

View attachment 15535

I had the pleasure of listening to these just recently. My Wilson dealer had a used pair he was selling for 15K. I kept thinking to myself what a great buy at 15k. I don't remember how old they were but sounded great ( big mind you ). If I weren't a Wilson owner I would have to considered it.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
I had the pleasure of listening to these just recently. My Wilson dealer had a used pair he was selling for 15K. I kept thinking to myself what a great buy at 15k. I don't remember how old they were but sounded great ( big mind you ). If I weren't a Wilson owner I would have to considered it.

They were/are big! I can't even fit Alexia's in my room! :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 19's Product Spotlight (and Trivia Question) is:

***WATT/Puppy Series 1/2***

Interesting Facts:

• WATT/Puppy 2/1’s were used by several recording professionals and studios including: Shawn Murphy (used in mixing down movies such as "Willow", "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", and "Ghost"), Peter McGrath with Harmonia Mundi, and they were used at Skywalker Ranch (Lucasfilm).

• The WATT/Puppy 1/2’s were available in many different automotive finishes (Nordic White, Rolls Royce White, etc.), Wood Side Panels (Oak, Walnut, Rosewood, and Zebrawood), and Sierra Granite.

Trivia Question:

Going to make this one a little harder since the last few trivia questions were answered in under 10 minutes!

I (Debby) remember when the Puppy was designed. We were on a family vacation, and I had to come inside since I was extremely sunburned. I stayed inside for the next day or 2, and remember watching my dad sketching out designs for a new subwoofer to go with the WATT (which ended up being the "Puppy").

Q: Where were we when the my dad made these sketches of the Puppy (city and country)?

HINT: We were not in the USA

WATTPuppy 1 2 for product spotlight.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We DO have a winner (from the Wilson Audio Group page). The correct answer was: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!

I don't think any of our family would recommend this place to vacation, but it is where the Puppy started (if you want a great place to vacation in Mexico - go to Akumal, Mexico! It is about 60 miles south of Cancun :) )

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 20 Product Spotlight:

***WITT Series 1***

Interesting Facts:

• Wilson Audio started shipping the WITT Series 1 in July of 1995. The last pair shipped in June of 1997.

•In the short 2 years Wilson Audio produced the WITT Series 1, well over 350 pair were built and shipped around the world!

• In 1995, The WITT Series 1 received "Component of the Year" from Stereo Sound!

Trivia Question:

Dave and Sheryl were on the cover of a magazine with the WITT Series 1. They were in old pioneer clothing.

Q: What was the name of the magazine name, date, and name of the article they were featured in? Also, attach a photo of the cover.

Witt spotlight.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Week 26 Product Spotlight!!

***X1 Grand SLAMM Series 1***

Interesting Facts:

• The first pair of X1 Grand SLAMMS shipped in Aug of 1993.

• Over 170 pair of X1 Series 1 were shipped during its 4 1/2 years of production!

• The X1 Grand SLAMM received many awards including:

1994 - "Best Sound of the Show" - Hex4
1995 - "Best Loudspeaker Design" - The Academy for the Advancement of High End Audio (Golden Note Award)
1995 - "Component of the Year" - Stereophile Magazine
1995 - "Loudspeaker of the Year" - Stereophile Magazine
1995 - "Editor's Choice" - Stereophile Magazine

Trivia Question:

Wilson Audio has produced 22 products over the years, including: speakers, subwoofers, controllers, Wilson Audiophile recordings, and a turntable. If you start with Wilson Audio's first product (t#1 - Smart Turntable), and end with our latest product (#22 - Alexia)

Q: What product number would the X1 Grand SLAMM be? (this does NOT count series within the product - ONLY the product).

X1 Grand SLAMM Series 1 image White resize.jpg

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
We have a winner! The correct answer was #7. Wilson Audio products in order of release:

1. SMART Turntable
2. Wilson Audiophile Recordings
3. WAMM
4. WATT
5. WHOW
6. Puppy
7. X1 Grand SLAMM

Thanks for participating -Debby

(NOTE: The answer to this question can be found on Wilson Audio's Timeline page: http://wilsonaudio.com/company_timeline.shtml )

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Is there another high end audio company that has been around this long and still has the original founder at the helm? I don't know if Jim Winey of Magnepan is still involved but his son is. VPI has been around a long time but not 40 years as I recall (more like 30+). I think Vandersteen may be close.

Any others??

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is there another high end audio company that has been around this long and still has the original founder at the helm? I don't know if Jim Winey of Magnepan is still involved but his son is. VPI has been around a long time but not 40 years as I recall (more like 30+). I think Vandersteen may be close.

Any others??

conrad-johnson
van den Hul
CAT (slightly less)
Berning
Linn
Rega

Sure there are a few more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing