Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Chuck Leavell

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Chick Corea (Fusion counts in this subforum right?)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My wife. :)

Hard to pick after that and I have not heard many recent ones. Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, Keith Emerson come to mind, then all the earlier jazz pianists...

Arturo Sandoval just because he also plays trumpet and we once had an hour-plus phone conversation way after midnight... What a nice guy!!! He also plays the same horn I do (made by the same guy, Flip Oakes).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well you didn't put that in past tense and sadly, Bill Evans is dead. I'll take Herbie Hancock.

Tim

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Tony Banks, from Genesis.

alexandre

prerich

May 21, 2012
Jimmy McGriff and Twinkie Clark....B3.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will nominate someone I was listening recently - Rick Wakeman. And the chosen album was my more than 30 years old copy of the The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Alll good players. I walked into a private event years ago, and a guy was playing a grand piano. Looked closely, it was Chick.
If you like kick-ass old school B-3 playing, there's a guy named Red Young out of Texas who I saw not so long ago with Eric Burdon. Red was amazing. Really able to use the instrument fully.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Can't name just one...

Art Tatum
Benny Green
Oscar Peterson
Oliver Jones
Sonny Clark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nat King Cole ---> underrated as a pianist

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Nat King Cole ---> underrated as a pianist

Under-utilized as a pianist. Some guys, well you just wish they couldn't sing so well. I'd love it there were more of Nat's playing on records. I'd love it if more of Vince Gill's guitar playing was managing to get recorded too. But both of those guys, in their very different genres, are great singers, so it's not all bad.

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
Those of you into the Blues, Otis Spann is one of the greats. Even when he was not soloing, his interplay with other musicians is jaw dropping and goose bump raising.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Under-utilized as a pianist. Some guys, well you just wish they couldn't sing so well. I'd love it there were more of Nat's playing on records. I'd love it if more of Vince Gill's guitar playing was managing to get recorded too. But both of those guys, in their very different genres, are great singers, so it's not all bad.

Tim

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing