Why aren’t open baffle speakers more popular?

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Admittedly my title is a bit tongue-in-cheek, as I’m riffing off a couple of similar speaker threads, but the question is genuine.There are a few open baffle designs (especially DIY) but box speakers probably comprise 90%+ of the speaker market. When you consider the fabrication of an open baffle is quite simple (and in theory cheaper than a box), it leaves me wondering why the commercial market is so limited for these types of speakers, given their inherent advantages in most home (read: small) listening environments. Is it because there are lingering misconceptions about the design? If I’d believed much of what I read before buying mine, I would have concluded that open baffles “don’t do bass” which is, in fact the complete opposite of the truth. I’d also read that DSP was required for a successful OB speaker but I certainly don’t hear any problems without.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Same reason most people don't have horns. I believe its because most people don't listen to classical and jazz. Open baffle do classical and jazz quite well. But they don't punch like a boxed speaker.

Reactions: Scatterbrain99

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Same reason most people don't have horns. I believe its because most people don't listen to classical and jazz. Open baffle do classical and jazz quite well. But they don't punch like a boxed speaker.
Isn’t that a function of the room? I wouldn’t want any more bass than what I have in my admittedly small room, and 80% of my music is rock.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well sure, of course. But sit in a room with an open baffle and 50 watt amp. Then sit in a room with a Focal, Wilson and 300 watt amp and tell me what you feel.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
I am sitting in my listening room with my Ypsilon Phaethon integrated amp and the IO Naked speakers. As I listen to Beethoven's 9th, I have no envy for any "boxed" designs. My next album on the list is Keith Jarrett's "Still Live." My take, for the acceptance factor, is that they are different and we, many times, are not willing to make the change from the traditional for many legitimate reasons. Occasionally, some of us give it a chance. (here the IO Naked connected to my Ypsilon Hyperion Monos)
IMG_0932.jpeg
IMG_0933.jpeg

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
IO Naked speakers are excellent speakers.
I heard them in Munich with a ypsilon amplifier, I loved what I heard in that room. they are fast, musical and have no issues with lower octaves.

tomsch63

May 31, 2022
I have a pair of single driver OBs with a sub and they have booted my KEFs into storage for now. They are placed >5ft away from any wall so does help. Bottom line is they really have a different musical presentation compared to box speakers. Are they better? Maybe not especially since they tend to blur the soundstage a little but they are fun to listen to. It's great to have options.

Reactions: puroagave

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I am sitting in my listening room with my Ypsilon Phaethon integrated amp and the IO Naked speakers. As I listen to Beethoven's 9th, I have no envy for any "boxed" designs. My next album on the list is Keith Jarrett's "Still Live." My take, for the acceptance factor, is that they are different and we, many times, are not willing to make the change from the traditional for many legitimate reasons. Occasionally, some of us give it a chance. (here the IO Naked connected to my Ypsilon Hyperion Monos)
View attachment 121936
View attachment 121935
Absolutely fabulous speakers. The main issue with my far more humble OBs is baffle movement. I highly doubt that’s an issue with the IO Nakeds. Of course, there’s no baffle but the drivers look very “locked into” place.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
@Tangram - Thanks. Indeed, the IO Naked is OB-less. Everything is bolted on the "skeleton." There are some adjustments, but those are for fine-tuning only and do not allow any movement or "degrees of freedom" beyond what are intended.

Reactions: Tangram
Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
I have a pair of single driver OBs with a sub and they have booted my KEFs into storage for now. They are placed >5ft away from any wall so does help. Bottom line is they really have a different musical presentation compared to box speakers. Are they better? Maybe not especially since they tend to blur the soundstage a little but they are fun to listen to. It's great to have options.
We, audiophiles, love options:). OB and, generally, box-less speakers is a love affair. Once you listen to a great unit, you are hooked for life. Bass could be an issue in some implementations but usually is not a problem. Good designs can easily reach 40Hz, which is OK for most recordings. I have no opinion on the soundstage issue as I never had to deal with it. Actually, it was the opposite and had to address it with traditional speakers.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Reactions: gleeds

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!

The Io Naked is a design that I very much appreciate. Will a larger model position two additional woofers on top of the ribbon driver?

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Congratulations!

The Io Naked is a design that I very much appreciate. Will a larger model position two additional woofers on top of the ribbon driver?
Hahaha. Ron, you are such an instigator! I love it! The only issue is that they will be very tall, as they already stand close to 6 ft. What we were thinking is to add two more, dual 12-inch subs, one per side. However, now that I am living with them, the low frequencies are more than adequate in my space (20x30x10 ft) and clean/articulate. I definitely, do not need more bass. The assumption here is that the rest of the system is capable of delivering clean low frequencies, which goes for any set-up.

You have an open invitation to listen to them any time you are in Dallas. Best regards, Basile

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Hahaha. Ron, you are such an instigator! I love it! The only issue is that they will be very tall, as they already stand close to 6 ft. What we were thinking is to add two more, dual 12-inch subs, one per side. However, now that I am living with them, the low frequencies are more than adequate in my space (20x30x10 ft) and clean/articulate. I definitely, do not need more bass. The assumption here is that the rest of the system is capable of delivering clean low frequencies, which goes for any set-up.

You have an open invitation to listen to them any time you are in Dallas. Best regards, Basile

Hi ,

Interesting design and apparently the design does produce good bass based on comments , how are you getting around the lack of a baffle for the bass, cutoff must be high due to wrap around ..?

Regards

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for the kind invitation!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing