Which is Better Sound From High Power: Single Tube SET or Parallel Tube SET?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
when I was there it had work to be done on crossover and finding the right amp.

there are tons of examples on the SET amp owners thread. The guys who don’t know are welcome to tour and listen to see what they like and don’t. If they don’t have the time or inclination to do it, they shouldn’t type just because they are bored. And while I understand they got ticked off here debating with Brad, it does not mean they go the other extreme and misrepresent.

next we will hear from Al that analog is just coloured and limited dynamic range

Yes or no question:

Do you believe that the reason virtually every audiophile doesn't have horns + SET is because he/she has not heard horns + SET playing optimally in a properly matched and set-up system?

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Attachments

• 6A74E24F-4859-4361-9F39-AF7FCBCC34E6.jpeg
    6A74E24F-4859-4361-9F39-AF7FCBCC34E6.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
horns and SETs are not the dealers favourites for many reasons
very few really world class alternatives and they demand serious real estate to thrive
best horn/SET systems worldwide probably in DIY communities

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
How do you know? Maybe a particular mastering engineer actually knows what musically convincing audio sounds like, and he intended an SET sound?
I can tell you that the recordings I have made with proper gear of live classical ensembles and solo sound the most realistic with a good tube/horn or tube planar system (think big ones).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’ve actually owned or had long term loans of probably a dozen of them. My best audio friend now owns the $80k Absolares. Just because I don’t like them doesn’t mean you won’t. Why is audio on WBF so one tracked these days.
What amps have you tried on your Fynes, Keith?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I can tell you that the recordings I have made with proper gear of live classical ensembles and solo sound the most realistic with a good tube/horn or tube planar system (think big ones).

This doesn't surprise me at all. This is what I would expect.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So the answer is yes.

afaik meow means give me food, which is her response to most things. Maybe Ron is used to a dog and wants to dictate the response. He should try dictating a cat her options

Reactions: Argonaut

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Your " investigation" reminds me of a dairyfarmer who has done research and came to the conclusion everybody s diet should involve at least 15 % dairy products to stay healthy
You could also say thruth is reflected in numbers and im not so sure the numbers are on the SET/ Horn side .

I think this deserves independent rno strings attached research lol

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
afaik meow means give me food, which is her response to most things. Maybe Ron is used to a dog and wants to dictate the response. He should try dictating a cat her options

Cat talk is cute, but wholly irrelevant to my simple question. What is the answer to my simple question?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cat talk is cute, but wholly irrelevant to my simple question. What is the answer to my simple question?

Just because you are trying to force an incorrect outcome does not mean she nor I will comply.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes or no question:

Do you believe that the reason virtually every audiophile doesn't have horns + SET is because he/she has not heard horns + SET playing optimally in a properly matched and set-up system?

These should be your Yes or No questions:

1. Should people comment on what they have not heard because they want to join in the chat?
2. As per Keith, no one who listens to live concerts and has exposure to gear should like SETs. is Keith correct? yes or no.
3. Is Al more correct than Andromeda regarding SETs? Yes or no.
4. Does answer to 3 matter? yes or no.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

1. Should people comment on what they have not heard because they want to join in the chat?
2. As per Keith, no one who listens to live concerts and has exposure to gear should like SETs. is Keith correct? yes or no.

You are evading the answer because we all know what your answer would be.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

5. Do Andromeda , Keith or Al matter a monkeys pooh hole to oneself ? Yes or No ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are evading the answer because we all know what your answer would be.

no because it is quite irrelevant. You, andro and Keith were the guys who started with extreme views and want to make it show like I did. Apart from the fact that you were commenting on a segment you do not have exposure to.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just because you are trying to force an incorrect outcome does not mean she nor I will comply.

I want to know what “virtually every audiophile“ means. The provocative phrasing of the question comes from the same place the “Gotcha question” that was posted on my system thread comes from. Both seem to be attempts to trap someone in a corner and create confrontation.

I answered a simple NO to this question because Ron and many others were exposed to a extraordinary, properly set up and matched SET/ horn system in Utah and still prefer a different approach. The answer to Ron’s question is obvious to me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Your " investigation" reminds me of a dairyfarmer who has done research and came to the conclusion everybody s diet should involve at least 15 % dairy products to stay healthy
You could also say thruth is reflected in numbers and im not so sure the numbers are on the SET/ Horn side .

I think this deserves independent rno strings attached research lol
Do they teach how to make bad analogies in school in the Netherlands? Maybe it works better in Dutch…;)

• Haha
Reactions: tima

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve never been to school lol.

Okay in dutch then.

Het gezegde, "het is een beetje de slager die zijn eigen vlees keurt" wordt gebruikt om aan te geven dat door gebrek aan externe controle iemand snel genoegen neemt met zijn eigen product.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing